Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Difference between Pod HD Pro and Pod HD Pro X

chrisconnor1234

Hey All,

So i've been trying to find some information regarding the two different units, or reviews between the two on Youtube, and have come up trumps.

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the difference between the two units? I've recently lost my X3 Pro in a house fire, and am looking to replace it with the HD Pro. I found a few used on local buy and sells, but they're only the standard HD Pro's.

If it's worth getting the X, What are the reasons behind it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris.

The HD ProX has about 20% more DSP capacity than the Pro. That's about it. Hardware and software-wise they are the same except for the higher capacity processor.

If you plan to use mostly single-amp presets the HD Pro should be adequate. If you like dual-amp setups you will benefit from the ProX.

The only differences between the them is that the HD Pro X's processor offers about 20% more processing power than the HD Pro and the Pro X has a slightly brighter screen. The main reason the X was released was that processor that the HD500 and HD Pro used was discontinued, so that's why Line 6 did the partial upgrade. Both series use the same firmware and the model packs will work on both units.

You could also compare the differences between the HD500 and HD500X. 

The 4 units are virtually the same. 

Sure, that doesn't actually answer the question, but it may make it easier for you to research - knowing that it really boils down floor unit vs rack unit. Because you could possibly find much more information on the floor units than you could the rack units. 

• Like 1

wow - sorry to hear about the loss! +1 to all comments above.   the X has a little more processing (and a slightly higher screen resolution to my eyes), but the functionality is the same.  hope this helps get you back performing. 

Yes it's all correct . 

Screen was upgraded to a higher resolution and its also brighter.

The HD Pro  SHARC ADSP-21369 processor is running at approximately 333mhz, and the X variant supposedly runs at 400mhz, so that’s about a 20% increase in DSP power !!!!   You think it's not a lot ? think again!  Imagine something already SUPERB and wack a TURBOCHARGER to it and what do you get ? 

A BEAST !!!!!   This 20% gives more freedom and peace of mind running split signal with two amps .

I will also mention that i have never ever seen the famous -  PROCESSOR POWER LIMIT or whatever they call it - screen in my life !  :)  

Hope this helps .

Respect !

I think the one thing that often gets neglected to be mentioned/clarified when talking about the extra DSP.... 

You are still limited to 8 effect blocks and 2 amps. 

It is not like the extra memory allows for a 9th effect or a 3rd amp. The extra DSP just helps to ensure that you don't run out of "memory" before you hit the 8 blocks and 2 amp threshold. 

• 5 years later...

This is an update to a much older posts but they are still read. Myself for example just purchased a used HD500x, I have an X3 I’m still deciding the fate of. There is also a couple small differences between the HD500x and the hd prox . I also found these differences between the x3 pro and the x3 live, by the way when I bought my x3 to upgrade from my DT live my Sweetwater salesman said the x3 was the most advanced processor ever made. Obviously the hd series wipes that statement away with its own best ever which is now wiped away with the helix best ever. My Gid I wonder what line 6 is going to put out in 5 to 7 years to replace the helix which will go from 1500 bucks to 275.bucks. That’s what I paid for my like new pod HD500x. Lol

Back to the differences between the hd 500x and the hd pro x. For one the pro has an extra output where the dry signal comes out for things like wet/dry/wet on stage 3 amps or w/D/W for recording. I know there are a couple s,all differences but the extra outputs is pretty big. 

8 hours ago, m6255 said:

This is an update to a much older posts but they are still read. Myself for example just purchased a used HD500x, I have an X3 I’m still deciding the fate of. There is also a couple small differences between the HD500x and the hd prox . I also found these differences between the x3 pro and the x3 live, by the way when I bought my x3 to upgrade from my DT live my Sweetwater salesman said the x3 was the most advanced processor ever made. Obviously the hd series wipes that statement away with its own best ever which is now wiped away with the helix best ever. My Gid I wonder what line 6 is going to put out in 5 to 7 years to replace the helix which will go from 1500 bucks to 275.bucks. That’s what I paid for my like new pod HD500x. Lol

Back to the differences between the hd 500x and the hd pro x. For one the pro has an extra output where the dry signal comes out for things like wet/dry/wet on stage 3 amps or w/D/W for recording. I know there are a couple s,all differences but the extra outputs is pretty big. 

Software - no, there is no difference. 

But, obviously, there are hardware issues. That's why people buy one or the other.