Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use Expression Pedal to Control 4cm Amp Gain

pearlfukinjam

You know this thread got me thinking.   I have some issues (technical, as I know how to do it) trying to automate from within my DAW FL Studio, and things onboard the Helix itself.  Although with a little bit more mature drivers from Line 6 (which I am sure are coming at some point) and the new FL studio 12.3 midi, and loop recording stability improvements/upgrades this may be fixed for me in the near future.  

However in the mean time... Which is what this thread gave me an idea for.  There is a song on a Devin Townsend Ziltoid album called the Planet Smasher. In this song it sounds like to me he has the gain of his amp automated to slightly go up and go down.  

I would like to replicate a similar effect for some of my own music. Since I can't automate reliably right now over usb. I could perhaps program the expression pedal to control the amp gain setting with my personal set min/max parameters, and just control it manually in real time, even while ReAmping. 

Sorry this doesn't help much, but I did want to say thanks for the idea Pearlfunkinjam.

• Upvote 1

I can't think of a way to control the amps gain knob like that.  

Using the exp pedal just as a volume pedal would achieve lowering the preamp gain like that, at least to some degree.  You could mess around with different min/max values or linear vs audio curves to better suit your needs.

You could also set up an overdrive pedal in Helix with the expression pedal controlling it's gain.  Then counter balance it with its level control or with a separate vol/gain block so your overall volume starts the same as your gain level changes.

However in the mean time... Which is what this thread gave me an idea for.  There is a song on a Devin Townsend Ziltoid album called the Planet Smasher. In this song it sounds like to me he has the gain of his amp automated to slightly go up and go down.  

I love that album!  I'm pretty sure he was using physical amps on that one though so that was more likely him controlling his own dynamics.  I'm actually meeting him at a local clinic in about a week.  I'll try to ask him about that effect and post it here.

I love that album!  I'm pretty sure he was using physical amps on that one though so that was more likely him controlling his own dynamics.  I'm actually meeting him at a local clinic in about a week.  I'll try to ask him about that effect and post it here.

No $J%&!  We are meeting him Sept 29th at a show in Dallas! He is one of my biggest inspirations musically.

I don't know how he did that effect.  I just figured I could replicate it, or get real close by using that method above. 

But yea for sure post it here, cause honestly I might be too star struck to remember that particular question.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way for that amp to receive commands is by turning the knobs...it would be like trying to send a text message to an old rotary phone.

Neil Young has a work around... the Whizzer. Digitally controlled motors that turn the knobs!

http://www.rdlx.com/neil_young.htm

Crazy stuff.

You know this thread got me thinking.   I have some issues (technical, as I know how to do it) trying to automate from within my DAW FL Studio, and things onboard the Helix itself.  Although with a little bit more mature drivers from Line 6 (which I am sure are coming at some point) and the new FL studio 12.3 midi, and loop recording stability improvements/upgrades this may be fixed for me in the near future.  

I would like to replicate a similar effect for some of my own music. Since I can't automate reliably right now over usb. I could perhaps program the expression pedal to control the amp gain setting with my personal set min/max parameters, and just control it manually in real time, even while ReAmping. 

Sorry this doesn't help much, but I did want to say thanks for the idea Pearlfunkinjam.

lol You're welcome.