Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 2.0 Poll

JTV 2.0 Poll  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Line 6 Should Dedicate Their Firmware Development Resources To Working On JTV Firmware That:

• Keeps The Features From 2.0 But Reverts To The Modeling Of 1.9
    • Keeps The Features And Most Of The HD Modeling From 2.0 But Reverts To The Spank And Semi Models Of 1.9
    • Keeps The Features And The HD Modeling From 2.0 As Is, Fixes The Bugs And Add New Features And Models Like PRS, SG, Maple Neck Strat, Brian May Red Special, Burns Bison W/Wild Dog Sound, Goya Model 80, And New Pickup Models From EMG, Duncan,Dimarzio Etc

You forgot to include nylon acoustic in your list. :)

Personally, I'd prefer they spent their resources changing the EQ % to real values on the HD500 series (plus perhaps some updates to the HD500), coming out with a JTV acoustic and JTV bass, and building a JTV-69 that was prettier so I could buy one. But that's just me.

Out of curiosity, why are these the only options. Why are they mutually exclusive? Has Line 6 stated that they we either get strat/335 from 1.9, or a dozen new odd models that you list, but not a mix of both? Do you know how much memory is included in the hardware? Has Line 6 stated this? Are you just making up this either/or scenario from conjecture?  

You forgot to include nylon acoustic in your list.

Personally, I'd prefer they spent their resources changing the EQ % to real values on the HD500 series (plus perhaps some updates to the HD500), coming out with a JTV acoustic and JTV bass, and building a JTV-69 that was prettier so I could buy one. But that's just me.

You should start a poll! :P

I think if I were voting between

A. Changing EQ in Pod HD, + coming out with JTV/Acoustic+Bass, + a prettier JTV69

*or *

B. Adding new modeled guitars to JTV and new amps to Pod HD

I would vote B. every time.

But then I doubt it is the same team and resources dedicated to working on the HD firmware as it is designing new guitars.

Wonder if it's the same people working on the POD firmware/modeling and the JTV stuff...? Do they really have halt development on one product to work on another? I guess that would explain why it took 10+  years to get the first upgrade on the Variax modeling...

Out of curiosity, why are these the only options. Why are they mutually exclusive?

To get an idea of forum users interests and preferences. Feel free to start your own poll if there are other questions you think should be asked or other options poll participants should be given.

Maybe start a poll on whether I should have included more options in this poll :D

And don't forget to vote!

To get an idea of forum users interests and preferences. Feel free to start your own poll if there are other questions you think should be asked or other options poll participants should be given.

Maybe start a poll on whether I should have included more options in this poll :D

So you have no substantive reasoning as to whether its truly an 'either/or' scenario. 

My intent is not to argue, but rather determine what is actually known or not in regards to what is possible. There seems to be quite a few people on this forum making statements based on assumptions. 

So you have no substantive reasoning as to whether its truly an 'either/or' scenario. 

My intent is not to argue, but rather determine what is actually known or not in regards to what is possible. There seems to be quite a few people on this forum making statements based on assumptions. 

I think you're missing the point here jd. Johnny has started a poll to determine what people's priorities are. It's like when people say you can have french fries or a hotdog, but not both. Whatever you answer tells us which one is more important to you at the time.

The world, and Line 6, has limited resources, so by starting a poll where you are forced to choose, we get an idea of what is most important to people.

FWIW, this has nothing to do with Line 6, and they probably won't see the result, or be swayed by it. Presumably, Johnyy just wanted to get a feel for what people were really thinking through the noise of "do this, no do that".

Hmmm, don't remember saying anything about that... that sounds like a topic for another thread.

For the purpose of this poll it is an "either/or" scenario. Vote or don't.

Some here seem to assume that Line 6 has the unlimited resources and motivation to create infinite versions of firmware that will satisfy every unique user's particular desires and tastes.

My personal assumptions are:

1. there will be a finite number of versions of firmware for the JTV over the life of the product

2. there is a limit to the amount of time and money Line 6 will invest rewriting the JTV firmware

3. there are hardware, storage, and processing limitations within the JTV itself

4. Line 6 will focus its efforts on making the greatest amount of profit possible by making the product as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

As much as I would love it if my JTV could do anything anyone could ever dream up, I assume there will be some limitations in the real world. I accept that and am trying to enjoy the JTV in its current state while adding my ideas for improvements in this forum and at http://line6.ideascale.com/ , I would suggest you do the same.

The purpose of this poll is to determine what is most appealing JTV firmware-wise to the users of this forum based on past and current versions of the firmware and how much users value past and current firmware features when compared to specific hypothetical future improvements. If you have other ideas about where the firmware should be headed please start your own poll or thread, I for one would love to hear any ideas anyone has. I do believe there is already a thread on this subject, you may wish to post there:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2067-post-your-wishlist-for-the-next-update/

I think you're missing the point here jd. Johnny has started a poll to determine what people's priorities are. It's like when people say you can have french fries or a hotdog, but not both. Whatever you answer tells us which one is more imporant to you at the time.

The world, and Line 6, has limited resources, so by starting a poll where you are forced to choose, we get an idea of what is most important to people.

FWIW, this has nothing to do with Line 6, and they probably won't see the result, or be swayed by it. Presumably, Johnyy just wanted to get a feel for what people were really thinking through the noise of "do this, no do that".

This guy gets it...

I would love to see (and would be willing to pay for) more model options.  I do not have a comparision of the 1.9 vs 2.0 because my JTV came with 2.0 loaded on it and I am just getting used to what kind of sounds it can make.  I have many years of Variax experience and this JTV is a major upgrade for me.  I do FW development for a living so I know what it takes to produce a compex new FW package.  I do not expect any big changes for our JTV's based on history.  Any change will be met with criticism as we can see here with 2.0.  We wanted 2.0 yesterday and now we want the bugs fixed yesterday.  Sounds like my day job! :-)

I really don't want it to be reverted back to 1.9. I really do think that's stupid. 

If anything, if it really means that much to you, they should fix the modeling on the strat and others people keep complaining about by furthering the HD models and tweaking them, not reverting back to 1.9 models. 1.9 sounds good, yes, but it's outdated technology, and they should use their current technology to make all the new stuff right.

I say, if it actually sounds like the thing they're personally modeling, then they got the job done. Maybe the problem is that they're modeling with vintage guitars that sound off.

Now, if it DOESN'T sound like the guitars they're modeling after, then you have a valid argument.

Either way, the past models are outdated and they're trying to move on from that. You should be happy that they're moving away from the Generation 1 Variax technology so you're actually getting something brand new and updated. It's one of the reasons why I was fine with getting a Gen 1 Variax over a JTV because I didn't think there would be a modeling technology overhaul.

I really don't want it to be reverted back to 1.9. I really do think that's stupid. 

If anything, if it really means that much to you, they should fix the modeling on the strat and others people keep complaining about by furthering the HD models and tweaking them, not reverting back to 1.9 models. 1.9 sounds good, yes, but it's outdated technology, and they should use their current technology to make all the new stuff right.

I say, if it actually sounds like the thing they're personally modeling, then they got the job done. Maybe the problem is that they're modeling with vintage guitars that sound off.

Now, if it DOESN'T sound like the guitars they're modeling after, then you have a valid argument.

Either way, the past models are outdated and they're trying to move on from that. You should be happy that they're moving away from the Generation 1 Variax technology so you're actually getting something brand new and updated. It's one of the reasons why I was fine with getting a Gen 1 Variax over a JTV because I didn't think there would be a modeling technology overhaul.

I agree. Also, Line 6 have given you this update for nothing, not a cent. Thay have also given you the opportunity to roll back, how many companies would do that? I think it's way cool that they can do all this including the other gear they have bought out, and not charge their present customers or those who may have bought their amps, guitars and so forth, used.

• Upvote 1

Maybe if they ever add anything it'd be some EMG models, Like a hot and a vintage Single Coil and 81 and 85 models. Maybe the active pickups from a Strat Elite for Ty Tabor fans... TriSonics I guess would be okay. A nylon acoustic would be nice.

What I find funny is that 1.9 and under users were all crabby about the spank models for so long and recommeding that custom models with Strat body with the tele pickups sounded more strat like... people will complain about anything and everything... So I say don't change anything... add maybe... but don't change anything

I suspect that HD modeling sounds exactly like the guitars they modeled. HD is a big  improvement in realism IMO. It's just that I don't like the strat and 335 they modeled for HD and I'm sure I'd love the original instruments they modeled in 1.9 all the way back to the 500.

I suspect that HD modeling sounds exactly like the guitars they modeled. HD is a big  improvement in realism IMO. It's just that I don't like the strat and 335 they modeled for HD and I'm sure I'd love the original instruments they modeled in 1.9 all the way back to the 500.

I believe the previous modeling technology, minus the acoustics, were all the same since the original Variax guitars. The only different that was made in tone was because the JTV used higher quality piezo pickups than the original Variax guitars.

Either way, the modeled strat definitely should sound like a traditional strat instead of being off like everyone is complaining about. 

I'm not 100% sure. Like I said, haven't played the HD stuff myself yet.

Either way, the modeled strat definitely should sound like a traditional strat instead of being off like everyone is complaining about. 

Erm, not everyone is complaining - just a very vocal minority. A large majority commenting here seem to be pleased with the improvements (Spank Workbench Glitch/workaround excepted), at least by my headcount.

• 1 month later...

Brand new owner of a JTV-69, the possibilities are completely mind blowing...who would have ever even tried to string a 12-string baritone acoustic?  I absolutely love the product and believe it is the most significant leap forward since the guitar became electric.  Keep up the steady improvement, add high gain models (EMG, Seymour Duncan, etc.), and continue improving the palm muting.  Thank you for all hard work Line 6!

• Upvote 2