Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix going crazy

Shadowrunner

Hi, there!

So, I got my brand new shiny Helix in the mail just a couple of hours ago. I opened it up, plugged in all the cables and such, and flipped it on. It loaded up to whatever default patch was selected, no fuss, no muss.

Then, I downloaded the application and Updater. After I did the thing on Updater, the screen on the Helix said something about failed and reboot, try again. So! I turned it off, turned it back on, and got THIS:

https://youtu.be/2rXPCJZM_CQ

This is all that happens when I turn it on, now. Trying to update again results in nothing. I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT: This is a floor model, not rack.

Edited by Shadowrunner

Hi, there!

So, I got my brand new shiny Helix in the mail just a couple of hours ago. I opened it up, plugged in all the cables and such, and flipped it on. It loaded up to whatever default patch was selected, no fuss, no muss.

Then, I downloaded the application and Updater. After I did the thing on Updater, the screen on the Helix said something about failed and reboot, try again. So! I turned it off, turned it back on, and got THIS:

https://youtu.be/2rXPCJZM_CQ

This is all that happens when I turn it on, now. Trying to update again results in nothing. I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT: This is a floor model, not rack.

Looks like you may have accidentally flashed the Helix with the Rack version of the firmware (I know, obvious). Try holding down the 6&12 footswitches to get into safe boot mode, uninstall any Line6 Helix software on your PC, and then go and download and install the correct Helix app for the floor version. The Helix app will install the Updater and Editor (make sure you don't get the "Helix Rack" version). Hopefully you can get into the Updater long enough to upgrade to the floor version of the Helix firmware. Here is a link to the Helix reset options, you may want to give a couple of others a try if "Safe Boot" mode does not work: http://helixhelp.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ResetOptions

Ok, how do I distinguish between the two? In Updater, there isn't an option to choose between rack and floor. On the software page, it says Helix Editor works with both floor and rack.

Did you download the firmware Flash file to your PC first or did you connect online via the Updater and select from the list?  If you downloaded the firmware file (not the Helix app) than it indicates on the top left on the download page whether it is intended for the Helix Rack or the Floor version. The link for the download is at the bottom of the long paragraphs of text describing each file; this throws some people off when they go to download. The Helix rack version of the firmware will say "Works with: Helix Rack" and the Helix floor version will just say "Works with: Helix". If you connected initially via the Updater it should have only shown you the correct version for your hardware. You bring up a good point though, now that your Helix appears to incorrectly think it is a Rack version you may need to directly download the firmware file as well as doing the uninstall/reinstall of the Helix app to get the right firmware. Here is the link for the latest Helix firmware for the floor, you will need to be logged into Line6 to access it.  http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7109   If you are comfortable with the Downloads page you can use that to retrieve it instead, be sure to select your OS and Helix version correctly. Once you have downloaded the firmeare file and hopefully are able to connect with the Updater it will have an option to point locally to this firmware file. Good luck and please don't hesitate to call Line6 support if none of this helps.

Btw, are you using a Mac or Windows to do the update?

Windows

So just to be sure you are getting the correct software:

The Helix application is at http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7106

The Helix firmware ("Flash Memory") is at http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7109

I can't stress enough how important it is to uninstall the Line6 Helix software before you download and reinstall the Helix application. Have you tried the safe boot footswitch options? What is happening when you try to point the Updater to your downloaded local version of the firmware? Is it allowing you to run the firmware update? If you do successfully run the firmware update be sure to do the Footswitch 9&10 global reset after the update.

If no combination of global reset options helps, you are unable to update the firmware with the Updater, or unable to connect to the Helix with the Updater it is probably time to call Line6 directly, they may have a special recovery procedure for when a floor or rack gets flashed with the incorrect model's firmware. If so, please post it back here, I am sure it will help other folks out. Btw, if you are having connectivity problems to the Updater trying every available USB port or even an alternate PC often works. Again, good luck with what sounds like a most frustrating situation.

Every time I try to update the firmware from the file, it says an error has occurred, please try again. Whenever I select the 2.01 from Updater, it goes through as if everything were fine, right up to where it says "Your Helix will restart now and begin rebuilding the presets." It even gives the instructions on what to do when that's done. But, I look at the Helix, and it's not doing a thing. I even waited once thinking that I might not necessarily see anything while it's rebuilding, to no effect. I then restarted and held down the switches to do the global reset like it says, to no effect. I've actually tried this a few times off and on. When I log into Updater, and it says to select a device, the Helix is listed showing firmware 2.01. I've tried other USB ports, and I don't have another x86 PC in the house.

I still do not have a clear idea what that Flash Memory file is for or if we are to make use of it and how. I think it has confused a whole lot of users besides me. I tried to down load that thing as well before someone slapped me to look at the title header on the left. Still not sure why it is there or what we are supposed to do with it if anything. Seems like the main 2.01 takes care of it. 

Remember campers the globals must be reset as per the instruction sheet on 2.01. I notice many missed that part. 

I still do not have a clear idea what that Flash Memory file is for or if we are to make use of it and how. I think it has confused a whole lot of users besides me. I tried to down load that thing as well before someone slapped me to look at the title header on the left. Still not sure why it is there or what we are supposed to do with it if anything. Seems like the main 2.01 takes care of it.

Remember campers the globals must be reset as per the instruction sheet on 2.01. I notice many missed that part.

The Flash Memory file is for those who have internet connectivity issues or USB or other drivers or apps that interfere with the download of the firmware file during an update using the Updater. For those experiencing these issues they can download the Flash Memory file to their PC and update their firmware using the local file (still using the Updater) without worrying about internet connectivity issues and the download of the firmware being interrupted. I agree though it can be confusing and the "Helix" app should probably always appear at the top of the Download page rather than the flash file. The "Download" button should also be relocated to the header section of the downloads to help avoid confusion when people start scrolling down looking for it.