Jump to content

best I.R'S


pete1975
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/1/2019 at 12:33 AM, spikey said:

MBritt makes some killer profiles for the Kemper. Not sure if He does IR's for Helix.

Yes he got IR's and also a prest pack for Helix and it has the same IR files he sell on his website i know beacuse i bought IR first then the preset and found out it got the same IR in the preset pack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2018 at 5:13 PM, zolko60 said:

I am sorry :( These are old Fractal sysex files. I can not do anything with them. It used to be utility on Fractal site to convert but the programmer is dead and they no longer keep it there nor support.

Happy new year!

I got the utility i have tried to convert one fractal pack but they had digital distortion and was very loud i might have done something wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Make your own IR. Shoot Dirac Impulse through your Palmer DI box/analog speaker emulator  - you will get IR right out with no convolution software. It is legal.

 

It is legal for your own use, if you own the product. 

I've created IR's from my Fishman AURA and Fishman JD Aura so I don't have to carry those boxes around, but it wouldn't be legal for me to share those.

 

It's very different when you are creating your own speaker IR's, or Reverbs... that's a combination of items and not a direct copy. But an IR from something like the Palmer (or in my case the Fishman's) is a direct 1 to 1 of the product they are selling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all. Here’s a cool way to audition IRs.

 

First, put a looper at the *beginning* of your blocks in the Helix, rather than at the end. This way you can play a phrase and loop it continuously while you listen to and change IRs. This isn’t my idea ... read it somewhere in a Line 6 forum. However, my twist to this technique is to program the tone control on my Variax to select IRs. You do this by editing the IR block, right-clicking on the IR select line and picking something to control the IR selection ... I used the Variax tone control but you could use the expression pedal if you’re not using a Variax.

 

It’s a great way to rapidly work through lots of IRs in a short time and pick the ones that you are interested in and want to focus on a bit more.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, codamedia said:

It is legal for your own use, if you own the product. 

I've created IR's from my Fishman AURA and Fishman JD Aura so I don't have to carry those boxes around, but it wouldn't be legal for me to share those.

 

It's very different when you are creating your own speaker IR's, or Reverbs... that's a combination of items and not a direct copy. But an IR from something like the Palmer (or in my case the Fishman's) is a direct 1 to 1 of the product they are selling.

Oh please give me a break. How an IR of a preamp, di-box, eq or reverb is 1:1 product of any manufacturer of that product? You are not making a "copy" by capturing its response.
We are on forum devoted to amp and fx modelling. No amp or fx model is supposed to nor will ever be 1:1 copy of its hardware original. It can only mimic some aspects of its functionality.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zolko60 said:

No amp or fx model is supposed to nor will ever be 1:1 copy of its hardware original. It can only mimic some aspects of its functionality.

 

My post wasn't really about that aspect... but you seem to be hung up on my 1 to 1 statement so I'll address it.

 

The Palmer PDI01 has three tones. Three IR's captures those three tones!

Of course it's not a 1 to 1 of the HARDWARE... the IR has no jacks, no box, no ground lift, etc... but they do capture the tones which is the key feature!  

 

In my example... 

The Fishman JD Aura is loaded with 16 IR's. Turn all other features off on the hardware and 16 new IR's capture those 16 original IR's!

The Fishman Aura is loaded with 128 IR's. Turn all other features off on the hardware and 128 new IR's capture those 128 original IR's!

 

When I load those IR's into the Helix, they sound exactly the same as their hardware versions - and I process them to taste just like I would on the hardware itself. 

 

Back to topic: Should I be legally allowed to distribute all of my Fishman Aura IR's across the internet? I don't think I am! You may disagree. That's fine!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know much about Fishman and what part IRs are playing in their products. Still owning the Fishman does not mean "use its IR" ;) In case of Palmer - it has no IRs, just simple analog "cab sim" made by pretty simple EQ at DI output.
Hovewer while capturing IR of IR is not fair, if you mix them and make your own original elaboration... it is like in music ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Lelik said:

 

Currently anyway I'm using mainly (or even only) my own IR file. If you like, you can download it here: http://ge.tt/1MT9wem2
 

 

 

:( I guess I'm late to the game, but when I hit the download link on that site, it does nothing. Is there another link @Lelik?

I have spent too much energy and money trying all kinds of IRs, and sounds like this might be the one!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/10/2016 at 12:31 PM, jroseberry said:

The only real advantage of using IRs (instead of the onboard Cabs) is to have complete control over the cab sound.

You can choose the Cab, the mic/s, the preamp, and how the mic is positioned.

 

I think the onboard Cabs are fine.  

IRs are just another way to customize the overall sound to your specific preferences.

Certainly not necessary... but (IMO) particularly nice

 I know this is old but can't you do all that with factory caB SETTINGS?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2019 at 8:27 AM, Thark said:

Hi all. Here’s a cool way to audition IRs.

 

First, put a looper at the *beginning* of your blocks in the Helix, rather than at the end. This way you can play a phrase and loop it continuously while you listen to and change IRs. This isn’t my idea ... read it somewhere in a Line 6 forum. However, my twist to this technique is to program the tone control on my Variax to select IRs. You do this by editing the IR block, right-clicking on the IR select line and picking something to control the IR selection ... I used the Variax tone control but you could use the expression pedal if you’re not using a Variax.

 

It’s a great way to rapidly work through lots of IRs in a short time and pick the ones that you are interested in and want to focus on a bit more.

 

Keith

Yes, this is a great method to audition! But do keep in mind that you need to try to volume match as much as possible, because its easy to gravitate towards "louder." There is a lot of variation in the output level of IRs. Also, the low and high roll off frequencies can really affect the sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back to the original question... I use some OH IRs and love them. Yes, you get hundreds or even thousands of files, but just use the summary folder and you should be fine. My favorite is the GNR pack. Might not be the best choice for metal but combined with the 2204, Placater Dirty or Plexit Brt model (with a tubescreamer in front) it gives me very nice high gain sounds, which would be sufficient for a lot of metal songs in my opinion. I also have the OH V30 pack and the 412 Modern IRs sounds killer as well.

 Does that mean the stock cabs are worse? No, not at all and I also have quite a few presets using those. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mastodonrules said:

I know this is old but can't you do all that with factory caB SETTINGS?

 

There are two things missing from the Stock Cab settings that IR packages often include several options for. 

  1. You can't set a mic off axis. 
  2. You can't move a mic from the center of the speaker toward the edge of the speaker.
    (Center = Brighter, Edge = Darker, and every inch of movement within is noticeably different)
  3. Not missing, but limited. I think the current limitation of moving a mic from a cabinet is 6".... in a real studio you might want an ambient mic several feet from the cabinet. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 12/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, fero1972 said:

I've capture a lot of IR from some Italian boutique cabs. This one is a mix between a G12H and a V30. I've used 2 mics: SM57 center position and E609 mid position. The cabs are two Dragoon Custom Speaker 2x12.

 

I hope you enjoy it!

 

Federico

DRA-G12H 57cent+V30 609mid.wav 121.91 kB · 100 downloads

 

Just to let you know; I've used that IR for years now and I use nothing else. No other cabsims or IR's come close and I've tried a lot. It sounds just awesome with every amp and is great in a band mix. A BIG thank you from me to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2018 at 3:46 AM, fero1972 said:

I've capture a lot of IR from some Italian boutique cabs. This one is a mix between a G12H and a V30. I've used 2 mics: SM57 center position and E609 mid position. The cabs are two Dragoon Custom Speaker 2x12.

 

I hope you enjoy it!

 

Federico

DRA-G12H 57cent+V30 609mid.wav 121.91 kB · 105 downloads

Did you do the captures with open or closed back?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...