Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick question from new Helix owner!

jjvillafane

Hello guys, new HELIX owner here!

I just got my unit today and I'm really excited about it. I haven't played through it yet because I wanna make sure I go through all the necessary obligations first (I'm using MAC btw)  ;)

-I have already upgraded to the latest firmware using the Line 6 updater

-I installed the latest MAC driver

-I downloaded the latest Helix editor. What are your thoughts on it? Is it easier to just start creating patches straight through the Helix interface or should I do it through the Editor? I'm trying to see if I can get it up and running for tonight's gig

Is there any other software installation I'm missing?

Thanks for your time,

JJ

Personally, I use the editor only for backing up setlists and managing IRs. That's due partly to the ergonomics in my "studio", and partly because one of the main reasons I got a Helix was because I didn't want a computer on a gig or at a jam, so I work that way most of the time in order to be comfortable doing that. IMO, the Helix UI is so good that I'm 100% fine without the editor, actually more fluent that way.

I do both. I like being able to sit at a desk and take my time making patches through the editor. But, there are certain things, like moving blocks that you need to do on the unit, and I think it's good to feel comfortable making changes on the unit while at band rehearsal. Working directly on the Helix is really easy.

Good luck if you take it to a gig the first night you've had it. You have more balls than me. I'm way too obsessive and have to have a fully functioning patch for every song we do.

You definitely want to spend enough time directly on your Helix if you intend to use it live so that you can make changes quickly if needed but for the most part by the time you hit the stage hopefully your presets are dialed in enough not to require much other than switching to the right snapshot or pedal, tap tempo (if you use that), midi triggering (if you use that) and perhaps some global EQ and volume adjustments at the beginning of the show. The physical interface on the Helix is really well designed for the most part including some fairly revolutionary features; it is quite easy to use and worth getting to know. The Editor allows you to see more parameters in a single screen and definitely makes some tasks easier e.g. copying and pasting, naming presets snapshots and pedals, moving things around between setlists, etc.. Using the Editor also saves wear and tear on the switches and controls over the long run; it is also the critical tool used to backup and restore setlists, presets, and IRs, and is the only way to load an IR. So I would say spend time with both the Helix and computer interfaces.

I don't need the Editor, and only really love it for anything that requires typing in characters.

I only use it, because as a beta tester I feel obliged to test EVERYTHING I can.

So...

Learn the unit on the panel, it's easy and start with that. I don't like presets, but the first few in I think Factory 1 are really simple paths that showcase each amp one at a time.

Find the one you like, adjust to taste, and use that to start imho.

Hi guys, 

I just got my Helix yesterday and I can't seem to find the link to download the Editor for my Mac.

What am I missing ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, it's all here. http://line6.com/software/

I do want the editor because I plan on downloading custom patches. I've gone to that link and updated firmware but am NOT seeing a link to Editor.

You have to scroll a list, the way they've set it up for you no one can send you a link.

you go to http://line6.com/support/

Select "Helix" from the left hand drop down at the top (unless you have Helix Rack).

CLick "Go".

Scroll the list. As of today, it's the second item down.

This is what I get when I click software link;

Helix Firmware 2.01 Release Notes

Helix v2.01.0 is a firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.01!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). If you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12.

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the new 2.01 factory presets.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the NEW Helix editor application (2.01), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.09).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.09), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.01). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

This is what I get when I click software link;

Helix Firmware 2.01 Release Notes

Helix v2.01.0 is a firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.01!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). If you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12.

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the new 2.01 factory presets.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the NEW Helix editor application (2.01), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.09).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.09), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.01). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

Looks like you got to the correct download area, but I think you need to scroll down a little further. What you have there is the Firmware Update info. Just below that section, lower down the page is the Editor down load in section named:

Helix Editor v2.01 Release Notes

read all the notes and follow the instructions. At the end of the section there is a "button" named "GET DOWNLOAD" - click it and the d/l will begin - it's about 86MB.

Do I need to Uninstall the HD500 editor I have from my previous product for this to work?

I wouldn't bother removing the HD500 editor unless you really want to. It should not cause a problem, the Helix is a completely different beast . I still have mine installed, should  I ever wanted to use the HD500 at any time.

Good luck. and let us know how you get on!

Something finally worked !
I had been clicking on Get Download and only getting Firmware.

This hundredth time or so it seemed it finally showed me Editor.

DONE, I'm ready to ROCK !

Thanks for all your help guys!

Chris Biggar

www.facebook.com/2countryroads

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's good to see this community is very active.

I ended up using a combination of both the editor and the hardware interface to create patches. At first I was honestly VERY overwhelmed with learning the unit. I've been using analog pedals exclusively for about 5 years now so it was definitely scary to dive into such an advanced processor. But once I went through 1/3 of the manual I started feeling more confident. I still think this kind of endeavor is no children's game though. I don't even want to imagine how hard it must be to work with the Fractal units since I've heard they are more complicated to use.

Anyways, I really wanted to take it to the gig last night but it wasn't possible. I just didn't have enough time. I was trying to basically recreate my current cover band rig (clean amp, all dirt and effects from stompboxes) in the unit but I ran out of DSP. After I got to the gig I realized I could have just ran the output of path 1 into the input of path 2, but well, I'll try that some other time. 

There is one thing I can't seem to find though, how can I change the name or rename a preset through the editor? I can save the presets but I haven't been able to change the names

Also, what are "snapshots"? I didn't find anything related in the manual so far and I'm very curious about it

Thanks again!

Snapshots are the holy grail, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and unicorns all rolled into one! :D

Instead of stepping on two pedals for a solo, (just an example), you setup snapshot two to activate the two pedals and just step on the one button to change snapshots. Each snapshot can have different pedals active or off, and all of the pedal and amp settings can be unique to each snapshot. You can have eight snapshots per patch. Pretty much the sky is the limit.

There is one thing I can't seem to find though, how can I change the name or rename a preset through the editor? I can save the presets but I haven't been able to change the names

Also, what are "snapshots"? I didn't find anything related in the manual so far and I'm very curious about it

Hi jjvillafane,

If you didn't find anything about snapshots in your manual, then I guess you must be looking at an older version.

The info you require is available on Page 34 in the Helix 2.0 Owners Manual – Rev D. You can download it here.

Manuals | Line 6

Likewise renaming a preset via the Editor is pretty straight forward.

1, Select the name in the list that you want to change - it should highlight with an golden brown background.

2. Whilst highlighted, look up at the top of the list of preset names and you will see the options (white text on black)  Copy|Paste|Import|Export|Rename

3. Click rename and the title you selected becomes available to edit - simply change or type the new name you want it to be. Done!

If that doesn't make sense you could also grab a copy of the "Pilot's Guide" for the Editor software and have a good read.

Get it here:

‎line6.com/data/6/0a06439c4dbd577d594db0bd0/application/pdf/Helix%20App%20Pilots%20Guide%20-%20Rev%20B%20-%20English%20.pdf

The step by step you need is on Page 4

Have fun.

LATE EDIT: "I musta bin asleep at the wheel" - as far as the Editor is concerned the Pilot's Guide is available under Help from the top menu. Doh!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who get these processes easily and can explain to the rest of us how this all works. I can't wait to fully understand the capabilities of my Helix and JTV69. Personally I'm trying to play two instruments at once. IE; straight elec guitar and lets say banjo or dobro in the background at the same time. I'm in a modern country band and banjo and dobro tones are in the background a lot so I'd like to accomplish that feature.

I like what I've seen about rolling in the second chosen tone with the expression pedal but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Does one have to reset Globals after firmware update on the rack like you do on the floor unit? IF so I would do that before creating tones. 

I would advise anyone to copy the manual and the manual for the editor, I have both in sheet protectors so I can have front and back pages and reduce the wear.

I would also advise anyone to watch as many programming and tip videos as you can find.

There is a couple week learning curve just to understand how to do things so do not worry about making a bunch of presets right off. Your programming abilities will constantly improve and you'll find yourself having to modify your presets to what you just learned.

Check out the "Templates" in the units factory settings they can help you understand how to make dual paths and switching. 

Do not be afraid to experiment in the virtual world of the Helix, you can do anything without hurting anything. Obeying typical flow and position rules on std gear need not apply. There are no impedance issues or compatibility issues to worry about. Just do not try and over punch the volume into other effects or the amps, digital clipping in the processor is not musical or desirable. If you had a POD you know this already and also know the Helix apart from the Reverbs is not a POD and the HX modeling is much better as well as the noise floor. No more Niagara Falls hiss fest and the effect loops are all good, no issues like the POD had with levels being low and there are easy loop levels adjusts as well. Helix is a very cool unit and a lot of fun to create ideas that would be impossible with all the std gear.