Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD400 Won't run - boots into Bank 00D User

pickerman2

Today, i was playing my POD HD400 and shut it off for 5 minutes.  When I came back and powered it up it defaulted to Bank 00D "User".  There is no sound.  The Mode switch light is off and none of the FX switches or AMP switch and lights will work.  The Up/Down switches, the Preset Switch, Navigation button, Amp rotary selector, and all Pots work.  The TAP switch and the Tuner do work.  The problem seems to be with the lower row of stomp buttons, except TAP.   All the other banks say "User" and there are no FX settings stored.   I have tried turning off the power for 30 minutes and re-starting several times.  I have not used a computer with this POD for over a year, since I left my company and had to turn that computer in.  I have not installed the Line 6 software on any of my other computers.  This unit was only used and stored in my house for over 3 years, and has only been taken away to practice about 8 times, all in this year.  It has had no rough treatment whatsoever.  The first one I bought failed within 2 months, and I took it back and exchanged it on a 2 year in-store warranty.  I have had no previous trouble with this replacement unit.  I would appreciate any advice from forum members.  Thank you. .

• 4 weeks later...

BillBee, thanks for your idea. I didn't want to lose my settings, so I took the HD400 to the authorized service dealer in my area and paid a diagnostic fee.  The repair price they came back with was more than I paid for the unit new!!  The Main PC Board and a Control PC Board (I assume the one for the lower row of buttons) were both bad.  Now I am looking at other options, like buying a used one online, buying a new one from a discount website, or getting a refurbished unit, if that is possible. Maybe I can buy the boards, as I do repair some of my own analog stuff.  In the meantime, I revived my old analog stomp pedals and velcro mounting board to get me by until I figure out something better.  I really love the HD400 for its sounds, but it is very disheartening to have two of these units fail on me, with only some home use, and a few times away from home.  I hope they have improved their Quality Control on the new ones.  The dealer did not flash the memory, so I plan to pull up my last backup copy of the patch bundle and then read the info off the LCD screen and edit the old bundle on my computer, so I will have my most recent changes.  It will be a long process.  I will post again if and when I find a solution.

Ouch! That sucks "both boards" too. I don't know if us mortals can buy the main board (and there is an ID chip that must be transferred if you do btw). But try and see if you can back up the bundle off of the pc.

In the end it will be cheaper to buy another unit then.

It may have some resale as a "non-functioning" unit on FleaBay. I have seen some crazy auctions on there for units like that.