Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sorry if this is a dumb question but isn't the L6 link cable just an XLR cable?

Your supposed to use a special version of XLR cable, someone can pipe in with that (AES something or another). But I just use a high quality standard XLR cable on it with not problems. 

I'm sure the AES/BEU is better cable for this purpose. However the link above actually list a standard XLR cable. If the impedance matching is off, I like the way it's off on my DT25.

"

What kind of cable does L6 LINK use?

L6 LINK works with a standard XLR cable. Because the quality and manufacturing processes of XLR cables vary widely, we can’t guarantee the performance of any particular XLR cable. However, if you are looking for a cable to use with L6 LINK, we recommend the Classic Series Microphone Cable (25 ft.) from Planet Waves, which was among the best we tested."

It has to be 110-Ohm cable for Line 6 Link,... and not 50-Ohm.
That is a must, and there are no substitutions, or there will be problems down the road.

It has to do with impedance matching, those are the rules of physics.

abaxe,... good question. And the only stupid question,... is the one that is not asked.

There should be something about cables, usage and impedances in the

Knowledge Base section of the Forum. For those who want to get deeper

and better informed about cables, usage and impedances,... check out books

by Steve Lampen of Belden Cables.

Thanks for the response... So here's another. I have an XLR cable that was given to me and I'll assume it's a standard mic cable. How can I tell in a store? Will the cable be labeled and is this something I can find on the shelf at a typical guitar/instrument store? just curiosity at this point... I don't even have a dt amp yet but I'm eyeballing the dt 50. They are becoming more and more affordable...

There would be some notes or labels on the packaging. Both 50-Ohm mic cables

and 110-Ohm XLR cables adhere to AES/EBU, ANSI, ISO and ITU standards. And

the better brand cable makers also have markings on the cable regarding that.

If you don't know what you're getting, hold off until you do, or find one that is correctly

marked and labelled.

• 1 month later...
It has to be 110-Ohm cable for Line 6 Link,... and not 50-Ohm.

Has to be?

The Line 6 L6 Link Connectivity guide says you "CAN" use a regular XLR cable, but note that all XLR cables are not all of the same quality (so use a good one). It does not say ANYTHING about having to use an AEU/EBU ONLY cable in that manual as you are stating here psarkissian. You are correct in stating the AEU/EBU is the better choice (As does the manual). But by using a standard XLR cable, it will work from what I read (and from testing myself). Is the Line 6 manual incorrect then? It mentions nothing about an impedance mismatch in the manual and HAVING to use a 110 ohm cable ONLY. Are you stating that there could be DAMAGE done in using a non AEU/EBU cable, or only that its possible there could be a loss of digital commands sent if the regular XLR cable is to long? There is a difference.

Drop-outs occur.

For more info about cables, check out the Knowledge Base here.

I recently had a couple of lengthy chats about this stuff with my colleague

Steve Lampen at the AES Convention in LA, earlier this month, where he

gave a very informative talk on this subject. Steve is the King of Cables

at Beldin Cable Co. I make a point of reviewing this stuff with him at every 

chance when he's in town,... and sometimes online.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/general-faq/audio-cables-101-r226 

Wire, Cable, and Fiber Optics for Video & Audio Engineers by Stephen H. Lampen (Aug 1, 1997) http://www.amazon.co...35303440&sr=1-2

Audio/Video Cable Installer's Pocket Guide (Pocket Reference) by Stephen H. Lampen (Jan 15, 2002) http://www.amazon.co...94&sr=1-2-fkmr1 

Mic cables and Line 6 Link both use 3-pin XLR connectors,... but they are very different cables with different impedances,

because of the different applications.

Drop outs are common when using the incorrect cable, actual damage is rare,... so far.

• 2 years later...

Hi. 

I just got a DT 25 into the house and I would like to connect my Helix (v2.81) to it via L6 link and command the amp configs.

Using a normal XLR cable for the connection, and after making the settings in the Helix patch for the DT 25, I observe no action at all - as if the cable were not even connected.

My understanding is that I -should- use a 110 ohm AES/EBU cable, and ultimately I'll be happy to do so.  However, it was also my understanding that a "normal" XLR cable should actually be capable of carrying the link (though not very highly reliably).

So, it is hard for me to tell if the complete non-performance is only because of the cable, or if I have not configured something in the Helix/DT combination that needs to be configured in order for it to work.

Can anyone tell me (or point me to) more about this subject?

Can anyone testify about their personal experience of making it work?

Thanks!

Well, it turns out my DT 25 was still on firmware v1.0.    Please be advised (from my personal experience!) that DT 25 firmware v1.0 does not support being commanded by the new Helix (v2.81) capabilities.

Once I upgraded the DT 25 firmware to v2.0  (simple and direct to do using Line 6 Monkey (v1.77)) the Helix/DT connection "just worked" (even with the plain-ole mic cable, which I will upgrade for ultimate reliability and longevity reasons).

I offer congratulations and praise to Line 6 for making Helix FX and DT amps work together like this!

I understand it's been a long time coming, but now the point is, IT'S HERE NOW.  (And it rocks!)

Good job Line 6!   Thank you for coming thru with a superb solution that really serves the guitar community in a major way.

• 1 month later...

L6 Link cable is the same as an AES cable.  An AES cable can be used as an XLR cable, but not vice versa because of how the electronics work.  If you're looking to save money from L6's brand of AES cable, or want a different length than what they offer, just go with any brand of AES cable.  I use Hosa AES cables and they work fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chasingMango said:

L6 Link cable is the same as an AES cable.  An AES cable can be used as an XLR cable, but not vice versa because of how the electronics work.  If you're looking to save money from L6's brand of AES cable, or want a different length than what they offer, just go with any brand of AES cable.  I use Hosa AES cables and they work fine.

A regular XLR mic cable will work OK for the L6 Link connection with short distances and minimal devices. It can become problematic with longer runs and a lot of devices, though.

• 1 year later...

I was told by Line 6 that you "could" use an XLR cable - and it won't hurt the Helix or PC - but it won't get optimal performance and could lose signal if it's a longer cable.  A 110 Ohm AES cable is exactly the same thing as a L6 Link - and to take it a step further - a DMX cable is the same as an AES cable - but has 5 pin holes instead...you could use a DMX cable in a pinch or to safe a couple of dollars...they're the same - but the DMX has the 2 extra pin holes that won't be used.