Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod 2 to Spider Jam

a1terrier

Hi

I'm trying to use the pod 2 through the Spider jam but bypassing the amp bit so I'm just using the speaker in the jam

The pod can sound pretty good if you just run the 1/4" L mono out into the Aux in on the SJ. I do this all the time but I've got the SJ's Aux in Tone stack/Reverb and Delay/ Compressor settings set to the way I like.

You could also use an insert cable like this. Insert Cable

Hosa_Technology_CMP_159_Stereo_Mini_Male

Thanks for reply Brazzy

Does that mean using left and right output on pod?

Yes it does.

Insert cables are handy have around. I have one with 1/4" to 1/4" and use it with my HD500 to run pedals between the FX loop send and return on it.

Hi

Going to try left ouput into aux tonight, would there be a noticeable difference in sound between this and using the twin 1/4"?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the Pod 2 'cause I never had one. I don't think your have too much problem. Remember the SJ has an input setting for the CD/mp3 jack and Aux input so keep that in mind if you haven't. Tap the "input level" button twice and you'll see adjustments can be made to the "mic input", "aux input" and "cd" input. I usually set these with the Master Volume knob maxed. When I use my HD500 with the SJ I have the SJ's master maxed, the input setting at "0" and I start with the Pod's Master below 50% and adjust up as needed. Of course your patch settings matter too but I think If you start out with a basic patch it should sound good. I'm just very familiar with the Pod 2.

I got this from the manual for the Pod 2 http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593b343dc6/application/pdf/POD%202.0%20Pilot's%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf

• Left & Right Output – These are balanced 1/4-inch TRS connectors, and ready to rock with pro +4 dBu balanced equipment. They will also work happily with unbalanced - 10 dBV equipment and standard guitar cables. If you are running POD mono, use the Left output.

• A.I.R. Mode – If you’re plugging your POD into a guitar amplifier to use POD as a “front end†to change the amp’s tone, flip the A.I.R. Mode switch to AMP, and set your amp for a clean tone. This defeats the speaker-microphone-room tone simulation of the A.I.R. processing. If you’re using POD in almost any other setup (plugging direct into a mixer, recorder, PA, power amplifier, etc.) you want the DIRECT position of this A.I.R. switch.

​

• Output Level – Controls the overall output level of POD. Also sets the headphone level. This setting is not saved when you store settings into one of the POD’s memory locations. Changing the Output Level does not change your tone. So you can get the tone you want at any volume level.

Hi

Tried left output into Aux but no sound. Checked levels (I think) but nothing

No sound? Hmmmm. The only thing I can think of is that the AUX input isn't set correctly. Press on the "input settings" button twice and you will see 3 available settings. Use the wheel or the nav button to select the Aux and then use the wheel to adjust it's level. I'm usually always at +0 db which is in the middle of it's range.

You can just plug your guitar into the AUX input to see if it's working that way too.

Thanks Brazzy

Tried guitar straight into Aux but nothing, also tried just using my mp3 player into mp3 socket and again nothing.

Doesn't sound good, do you think a factory reset would help?  Amp is eight years old maybe its starting to die on me.

Thanks Brazzy

Tried guitar straight into Aux but nothing, also tried just using my mp3 player into mp3 socket and again nothing.

Doesn't sound good, do you think a factory reset would help?  Amp is eight years old maybe its starting to die on me.

Mine's the same age and still working good. Some years ago I had to install the latest firmware 'cause the drums wouldn't play. Maybe you should try the reset and if that don't work reinstall the firmware. I had a bug recently where when I plugged the guitar into the aux input when I changed the amp models they were affecting the Aux input. Very weird and I think I toggled the "mic recording/aux recording" button a couple of times and then set it to "Mic/Aux" then turned the amp off and on to get back to normal. So given the experiences I've had it can be buggy. I don't know why. I've been lucky for a while now. I do understand that ribbon cable connections inside the amp can come loose or get tarnished over time and need to be cleaned or just pulled off and pushed back on a few times to fix. I suppose excessive vibration can loosen them too.

Hey Brazzy.

Reset worked fine, also works from headphone on Pod to mp3 on SJam again!!

Must have been a glitch on that panels connectors, might last me another eight years!!!!

Thanks again for your help.

You're Welcome. Cool, glad to hear that. If I have an issue in the future I'll try the reset. How is the reset done? lol

Hi Brazzy

Just a quick question

Would the insert cable using both left and right outputs on my pod sound better/different to just using the left output

Thanks

I'm not real sure what the difference would be but I would think that since your running the pod stereo into the SJ which is ultimately mono your not going to get the full benefit but maybe your tone will sound a little thicker maybe. I would say your going to get pretty good tone just running the 1/4" Left Analog out into the Aux input. I do this all the time for a quick practice session with my HD500 or X3 Pro.

Sometimes I'll take the output of the SJ out with a stereo insert cable and run that into the FX Return of my HD500 and it sounds pretty good when I digitally record monitoring with headphones. I also put my drummer pedal (Beat Buddy) in stereo the same way.

No I haven't tried that

I've got the SJam and a small 5 watt tube amp I built from a kit. Would that work?

Got to say that reset has made a difference. SJam was sounding a bit flubby but seems to sound a lot more alive now. Maybe it's just me but seems a lot better.

No I haven't tried that

I've got the SJam and a small 5 watt tube amp I built from a kit. Would that work?

Got to say that reset has made a difference. SJam was sounding a bit flubby but seems to sound a lot more alive now. Maybe it's just me but seems a lot better.

Cool glad the reset cleaned things up. Sure you could use your kit amp. It might not sound the way you want it to but the only way to find out is to try it. I've used my Jet City Picovalve which is 5 watt with my Spider Jam. I've also used my Spider Jam & DT50HD in stereo. Both ways sounded pretty good for me. If your 5 watt amp has an fx return plug your pods 1/4" output to it, if not plug in the front of your 5 watter and try to  EQ it sound as good as you can get it.