Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a few amp model recommendations

357mag

I've been using mostly the Park 75 for my amp model as it gives me a genuine Malmsteen tone which I have been using exclusively. But the thing about the Park is that it is a little on the thin side especially in the treble, and I play a maple Strat so I think I would like to experiment a little at finding some amp models that sound a little thicker (mostly in the treble).

I also like to use single-coils on occasion in addition to my humbuckers so I use both types of pickups in my Strat.

Can you give me some amp recommendations that will give me a thicker tone without sounding too overly thick? I don't want to sound like Machine Head or Suicidal Tendencies or Slipknot or any of these modern death metal zombies.

If I could find an amp that resembles the Park or Marshall but just sounding a bit thicker that is what I'm looking for.

The problem with these discussions is that terms like "thicker" are open to interpretation, and don't really convey much. They tend to mean different things to different people. We all have an idea in our heads about the sound we're looking for, but finding adjectives that make any sort of discussion meaningful is notoriously difficult, if not impossible...even when you're talking to other musicians.

Fortunately, the answer is always the same anyway: If you don't like what you're hearing, try something else. My solutions won't necessarily work for you, and vice versa. Even if it's an amp model that doesn't necessarily "make sense" for the kind of tone you're after, load it up anyway and fiddle with it for a while. Cab and mic models make an enormous difference as well. Keep turning knobs until it sounds good.