Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G90 with wifi for mixer: RF1 or RF2?

mikepinkerton

The band is discussing a new setup this weekend at our outdoor gig where we are going to use wifi with our PreSonus mixer to enable iPad configuration from the crowd. I've seen a bunch of posts here about reducing dropouts by using RF1 mode, but it doesn't play well with wifi. In fact, most of the posts from Line6 almost unilaterally recommend switching to RF1. 

Depending on the orientation of the stage (which we don't control), I'll either be 40-50feet from the mixer/wifi or 10-15 feet. Would either pose problems? Recommendations? Is there anything I can do for the wifi setup to play nicer with the G90?

-mike

The greater distance you can get between devices that use the same wavelength is usually better.  I *think* the *minimum* distance you want is 2 or 2.5x the wavelength that you're operating on (wavelength for 2.4GHz is 12.5cm), though you might want to double-check that with other sources...

Only time you should be using RF2 is if you have control over the wifi around you and it won't be changing too much (a.k.a. rehearsal space and large stages where the audience is many many feet away from the hardware)  People walking around with their cel phones will most likely be constantly changing the 2.4GHz state.  my rule of thumb: whenever in doubt, go RF1