Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G70 Wireless still getting horrible reviews (drop-outs)

sonicflight

Line 6 / Members - 

Surprised to NOT see much activity in the forum on the continued dropout issues for the G70 wireless (even with the important firmware update).  I am in the process of getting new wireless for my guitar and as I've searched all over the internet (Amazon, Sweetwater, MusFriend, Guitar Center, etc..), the personal reviews are consistently still complaints of major dropouts for the product (as of August 2016 - even with the latest firmware upgrade).  Has Line 6 continued to investigate the issue and dissatisfaction with users/owners of the product or is it just considered a viable product "as is"..?  Anyone else out there having these dropout issues..?

Txs..!

I don't have the G70, but I do have the G75, which is essentially the same transmitter and receiver, but the receiver in just a different form factor. I've been using it consistently for probably six months now, and I've literally never had a dropout... This is in all sorts of environments - church, clubs, outdoors and at home. So I don't know why some people have dropouts and others don't.

I guess the thing I notice in regards to the reviews is that none of the retailers actually have all that many reviews. On Musician's Friend, for instant, there are only 4 reviews, and the two negative ones are from 2015... I just think that no wireless technology is going to be completely bulletproof because of the nature of the tech itself. There's always a chance for interference. I see it my work with wireless lighting controls as well. Manufacturers try to plan for all contingencies, but there's always unexpected issues in the real world.

But to answer your question, I don't believe that Line 6 takes the line that they are simply going to walk away from developing solutions to problems with the products if they need it. I think the one thing that makes it kind of tricky is that this sort of development usually requires some amount of cooperation from the customer side as well. Line 6 can only fix problems if they're made aware of them and the context in which they happen.

Thanks for the reply, Phil..!

Yes, agreed that things can't be fixed if they're not aware of them - hence, my subject line and context in the 'ask' of the community if there are still problems.  

The one thing about the form factor was the pedal style and connectivity (one user stated that when he opened the pedal, he found that the micro connectors for the antennas were loose/not connected.  That could have an impact.  

I did look at all the primary on-line stores with reviews, and there were few at each and at least half were negative with NOTABLE dropouts as recent as August 2016 - and all stating they were at the latest code, too.

It's not a perfect science and would like the Line 6, but trying to get some supporting evidence others are using it with minimal issues.

Txs

Where are you seeing all these recent negative reviews, though? The last negative one I see on Sweetwater is from January 2016... (same on GC and Amazon). Just curious.

Personally, I think with any item sold online, there's always going to be some negative review. There don't seem to be a ton of reviews of the G70 in general, so I don't know, it's hard to say. This particular section of the forum isn't exactly tearing it up as far as the number of posts per day goes. I think because a wireless system is much simpler from an operational perspective, these forums are always going to be slow. I think people see these things as either working or not, and I imagine that people who own them and haven't had problems are much less likely to post about them than those that have problems.

• 2 months later...

My line6 Relay g70 Is always dropping out, and i have the firmware update 1.03,  some days it doesn't drop out at all, it works amazing, and some others days it drops outs a lot, it's really pissing me off, sometimes i do turn off and turn on again after 5 min and it start working properly again .. but some night are really bad ..

I hope they can fix firmware or whatever. otherwise i wonder if they can change for another one with the guarantee? 

I bought my wireless just last August .. 

:(

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of wireless systems since the late 80's. My G70 is brand new, and with the firmware update it stays on a channel for 3-7 seconds, then loses signal for about 5-7 seconds, repeatedly. 

I've tried changing the channel with no benefit. I'm really at a loss. I had the AKG wireless "bug" 15 years ago that worked awesome for several years. Just not understanding what the problem is. I've never experienced this with a wireless system. I use wireless Shure psm in ear monitors since 2004; wireless shure ulx-4 x 10 years with no issues. Liked the idea of the DI, the tuner in the unit, etc. but?

It's not usable for practice or anything. Did I get a bum unit? Suggestions??

My G70 had dropouts after about an hour of use. A few minutes later it dropped out for good. If I changed batteries in the transmitter all was fine again. For about an hour that is to say... Then it started all over again with dropouts and then complete silence. I returned it to my local dealer and they sent it to the general agent. After a feew weeks I got it back. The transmitter was replaced with a brand new. 

Did Line 6 address your issue for the dropouts when you opened up a support ticket?

I did not contact Line6. I bought the G70 at my local dealer and it was quite new so I had full warranty. So I just returned it to my dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All I can say, is my pair of G70's have performed remarkably well. I updated the firmware immediately; so never had any dropout issues.

I actually got my rig together yesterday for my gig on Saturday. I'm going to be switching between and acoustic and two electric guitars.

I have two G70s' and I bought an extra transmitter when they were on sale last year, and so with the three transmitters (set to 'snooze' mode so they power down when not in use / sensing movement), I was able to set up three scenes on my G70; which is the front end of my pedalboard. 

I've got it set to only send the acoustic to the XLR out; but send all guitars to the 1/4" out into the pedalboard. 

I've been really digging running the acoustic 'dry' directly to the PA; the XLR out of the G70 is excellet; I compared it A/B to a Radial Pro48; very similar overall output level; sound quality on par; headroom with an acoustic in the wrong DI or direct to a mixer can sound really bad. A good DI like the Radial makes it sound much better! The G70 does the same thing; one less piece of $100 gear, which in this case works particularly well for this gig; I've only got two of the Radial DI's - will use on for the other guitarist, and the other for my bass DI. 

Anyway, back to the G70! I set up the three scenes, so all I need to do is turn down the guitar or mute the acoustic, switch to the next instrument I want to play. I've got the wireless transmitters attached to the straps of each guitar with Levy's wireless holders; works perfectly with the G70 shape. 

My *only* gripe with the G70 isn't really a gripe with the unit; just, the included locking cable is a bit short and not as robust as it could be.

But that's just a cable; I get it. Thing would cost more if they included a higher end cable. 

I've got a couple of locking cables from Bestronics that are pretty nice, they do straight or right angle, and you choose the length; though they're a bit expensive..

http://btpa.com/L6G70S-II.html

http://btpa.com/L6G70R-II.html

Well, that's all I've got for now. Going to use the M20d mixer with L3m mains and L2t monitors; DI boxes to the PA for the acousic guitars, Sennheiser e609 mics on the amps.

Anyway, I will report back how the G70's perform! I'm hopeful; but that's easy to dial in at home, get to a gig, and have unforseen issues. Plan B; which is also a strength of the G70, is plug straight into the G70 side input. I positioned it on my board at the front right, so I can do just that, if I have a wireless problem.

Side note to that; discovered this awesome 'silent jack' cable! Check it out - you can plug and unplug without making any sound while 'live'..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/Elite-Instrument-Cable-with-Silent-Jack.gc

Oh, and one more thing. Snooze mode! I hadn't read the manual properly; snooze mode is very useful when using multiple transmitters with different channels on the receiver.

IE, acoustic is channel 1, strat is channel 2, PRS is channel 3. Snooze mode is when you half open the transmitter- it sort of has two open levels, first is slightly open that exposes the channel change switch and the snooze switch, Slide it so there is a little moon exposed. 

Turn down volume on the guitar, put it down, change to a different guitar, and after two minutes that transmitter will power down into 'standby' mode to conserve battery.

Pickup that guitar and the transmitter wakes up in about 1 second. I typically use the G70 receiver to mute by going to tuner mode, but with the electric guitar volume off, you can pretty easily switch guitars as long as you leave the transmitters attached to the guitars, and not to your belt.

Note on batteries; I have been getting excellent battery life with these lithium Energizer batteries. A bit expensive; like, four batteries for $10 or something.

But they last a long time. Only downside; is once you notice the transmitter battery life indicator on the receiver start to drop, it seems to drop very quickly.

Keep spare batteries on hand..

Ok, now I'm gone. Check you later; Cheers!

I experience drop outs too. So I try to update the firmware 1.3 to 1.5 directly to my mac laptop using with macOS 12.12.4 it didn't work. And so I went to my wife's iMac with the same MacOS 12.12.4 and try do the same update still didn't work. So I took it in to line6 in Calabasas California (head quarters) myself, when I got there told them that was experiencing dropouts (as we called taking a hit). I find out it was brorken USB in the receiver unit. I told them the USB is a poor design, they should have include the line 6 9V power adapter instead of the USB power cable. In which USB power cable is not road worthy! Cut to the chase.

Well the technicians repaired USB it and updated with firmware 1.5 . And was ready to pick up.

It two nice ladys they greeted me and got me my unit ( receiver in the transmiter) so I told them about the design flaw, so they went back and got the technician/designer I couldn't recall his name. For some reason he couldn't look me in my face and he just shined me on and told everything is ok fixed. This weekend I had a major show in Cancún, Mexico at sound check. Fired up the G70, it took all kind hits through all 16 channels it was a big disappointment. Thanks line6 for all most trusting in your product😬 In which it cost me a lot of money in time & travel. PS I have the video to prove it.

All I can say, is my pair of G70's have performed remarkably well. I updated the firmware immediately; so never had any dropout issues.

I actually got my rig together yesterday for my gig on Saturday. I'm going to be switching between and acoustic and two electric guitars.

I have two G70s' and I bought an extra transmitter when they were on sale last year, and so with the three transmitters (set to 'snooze' mode so they power down when not in use / sensing movement), I was able to set up three scenes on my G70; which is the front end of my pedalboard. 

Just wanted to send a quick update; the G70 three transmitters for three guitars switching system worked flawlessly for me at the gig on Saturday.

Acoustic was routed to PA and to pedalboard > amp; electric guitars went through pedalboard > amp only.

All in all, a fair bit of Line6 got used! A pair of L3m's for the mains, two L2t's for the floor monitors, and the M20d mixer. So very easy to mix from stage! Set the things you need to be able to use the monitors to mix the mains with to 'linked mode', which offers the side benefit of when you mute a channel not being used, such as cajon mic or guest vocal mic (had both of those on Saturday!) it also mutes them in the monitor mix. No guesswork about the relative levels. Good vocal levels through mains and monitors; since I was wireless was able to wander in the room during soundcheck and a couple times during the set to check the levels.

Ran the three guitars through my pedalboard with the G70 transmitter at the front. The two electric guitars were routed to the pedalboard + amp only; the acoustic went direct to PA with XLR, and also routed through the pedalboard to my amp. That was wayyy fun. Autowah on acoustic, plus; my FX loop board is a Line6 M9 with a pair of expression pedals. The mods, delays and verbs sounded stellar on the acoustic through the amp, with the dry acoustic on top through the PA.

No dropouts, no issues, no problems, didn't have to change batteries, left the transmitters on for 3+ hours; set to snooze mode. G70 worked great for me!

One last thing; another trick I didn't use at this gig, but works great - you can use one transmitter and two receivers to route through dual rigs and since it's wireless, no ground loop issues. Set both receivers to the same channel as the transmitter. Technically, you could still also do the multi-transmitter switching thing, you would just set up the same three scenes on both receivers; IE, for my rig, acoustic on channel 1, strat channel 2, prs channel 3. Then you would just have to do the extra receiver switch up, but that would take like one extra second. Would also be interesting, in that you would have two "direct" sources to output, IE both XLR outs from the two G70 receivers would be sending the same dry guitar signal. Good way for tracking, if you need to capture dry guitar.

I guess I will have to test that out! One pedalboard to the Friedman amp, one to the PRS amp, and dry out to Helix. Too much? No such thing! Lol... :)

Cheers ya'all!!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've been a long term g30 user and never had an issue

Upgraded to a g70 and a pair of transmitters

Had a drop out mid gig NEVER had that with 7 years of G30

Range was about a third of the G30 in the same venue

Very disappointed. It's a downgrade !

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the G70 (before reading the reviews....) new from Andertons in the UK last week. Was really excited by the connectivity and routing as I switch between electric (wireless) and steel guitar (with cable) during gigs. Anyway, it all worked fine at home. Got to a gig last Saturday and tried to connect - transmitter not recognised. So I did the scan and switched channels and got it working for the sound check. Set the transmitter to sleep mode - really cool feature! Anyway, we got up to play and lo and behold, transmitter not recognised! Tried a scan and then changed channel a couple of times, still no luck. Turned off and on again, still not recognised. Ran off stage and got a cable - job done, but very embarrassing!

To their credit, Andertons have sent me a new unit via courier today, and picked the old one up, so I will try again in a couple of days at the next gig. My parting thoughts:

1.) I have gigged for years with UHF wireless systems (AKG and Sennheiser) and have NEVER had a dropout or issue with connectivity. Only problem was once when the cable came out of the guitar whilst I was sat on someone's shoulders, wandering through the audience - always a risk you take... ;-)

2.) My mobile phone registered that there was a strong, open, wi-fi signal at the gig where the G70 failed. Guessing this had something to do with the problem.

3.) Our double bass player has 2x G30 wireless units and initially I wondered if they were causing interference, but it was fine during sound check so I guess no problems there.

4.) If the new unit still plays up I shall probably go for Shure GLXD16 - or just stick to my Sennheiser system and have the separate tuner and ABY switcher pedals. Does anyone know if there is a comparable product on the market to rival the G70 for features?

5.) I love Line 6 stuff - really want to remain a believer!

I bought the G70 (before reading the reviews....) new from Andertons in the UK last week. Was really excited by the connectivity and routing as I switch between electric (wireless) and steel guitar (with cable) during gigs. Anyway, it all worked fine at home. Got to a gig last Saturday and tried to connect - transmitter not recognised. So I did the scan and switched channels and got it working for the sound check. Set the transmitter to sleep mode - really cool feature! Anyway, we got up to play and lo and behold, transmitter not recognised! Tried a scan and then changed channel a couple of times, still no luck. Turned off and on again, still not recognised. Ran off stage and got a cable - job done, but very embarrassing! To their credit, Andertons have sent me a new unit via courier today, and picked the old one up, so I will try again in a couple of days at the next gig. My parting thoughts: 1.) I have gigged for years with UHF wireless systems (AKG and Sennheiser) and have NEVER had a dropout or issue with connectivity. Only problem was once when the cable came out of the guitar whilst I was sat on someone's shoulders, wandering through the audience - always a risk you take... ;-) 2.) My mobile phone registered that there was a strong, open, wi-fi signal at the gig where the G70 failed. Guessing this had something to do with the problem. 3.) Our double bass player has 2x G30 wireless units and initially I wondered if they were causing interference, but it was fine during sound check so I guess no problems there. 4.) If the new unit still plays up I shall probably go for Shure GLXD16 - or just stick to my Sennheiser system and have the separate tuner and ABY switcher pedals. Does anyone know if there is a comparable product on the market to rival the G70 for features? 5.) I love Line 6 stuff - really want to remain a believer!

And the verdict - replacement unit was just as bad as the original... :-(  Set it all up at home - worked no problem, though the scan showed a lot of traffic on pretty much all channels.  Set it up at a gig on Saturday and although it all connected OK I got drop-outs of 1-3 seconds during the soundcheck when I was only about 10 feet from the receiver.  I had taken along my Sennheiser UHF system as a backup, so used that for the gig.  Sadly the G70 will now be boxed up and returned for a refund - I am genuinely gutted, as the concept of the '5 pedals in 1' was perfect for what I need to do.  I just can't see it ever being reliable enough to use without a backup, which kind of negates its usefulness to me - the whole point of buying it was to save time during setup.

Could it be a Europe vs North America issue?  Different domestic wi-fi types / strengths...?  A lot of European users seem to have trouble, whereas I perceive the more positive comments coming from the USA.

• 1 month later...

Since these Line 6 systems are all using 2.4 GHz, you should be assessing the RF environment in the location you are trying to use it EVERY time. You must run the channel auto-scan every time to look for clearest open channels. If you are running multiples Line 6 systems, you need to scan for each, leave it active and repeat the process and scan the next until each has the clearest open channel.

I don't see this stated in many of the comments from those complaining of drop outs.

Just checking if your iPhone or some other wifi device has clear signal is not going to help you and any active wifi device too close to your Relay is going to impact both. With the proliferation of wifi control of mixing systems, there are more devices competing with bandwidth. If you have other wifi devices iPad, iPhone that you use to manage your PA or monitor mix control, if you can, move them to 5.8GHz.

You cannot compare to a UHF based system or even Europe vs North Amerian without understanding how crowded the 2.4GHz is where you are trying to use.

I use my G75 professionally for 50 plus shows a year with two transmitters, I scan for open channels on both EVERY time, at every location (twice, once for each) 98% of the time I have no issues, but there are some venues where the 2.4 GHz is so crowded near the stage there is just too much interference to use reliably.

I don't understand why Line 6 doesn't make it clear that it must be done EVERY time and make the interface even easier to complete this process. I read that the Relay G10 scans for an open channel every time you start it to use. They all should do this. I have been asking that Line6 improve the interface on the G75 since the unit was released to make that the first thing you do every time you turn it on.

This is from 2010... and still applies.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/24ghz-wireless-faq-r242

• 1 month later...

I had been using the Line 6 G30 with my guitar rig for several years, playing live every weekend and never had any issues. Recently decided to "upgrade" to the G70 based on the new features and more robust hardware.I had set up two scenes in the G70 receiver unit, one for acoustic, one for electric guitar. I had no problems at all for the first 2 months.

Last weekend we performed at an outdoor festival gig. All was perfect during the sound check but when I got onstage to start the gig, my receiver unit had lost my scenes and had reset to the default Scene 1. However despite now being in the default mode, I got no signal into the unit from the transmitter ( I assume it had also lost the channel set up). I wasn't able to reconnect the units at the gig and had to revert to cables.

Got the unit home on Monday and set up my normal rig. The unit was still on the default Scene 1 setting, but now the units were paired and I got a full signal. I have no idea why they were not working at the gig. It cannot have been any wifi issues as there were no wifi signals in the area of the outdoor stage. I also have no idea why the unit decided to clear the scenes I had preset and default to Scene 1. There were no interruptions to the power system, as I was connected to the main stage power loops, and there were no power drop outs. Anyhow, if power had gone down, the unit should have rebooted and returned to the scenes I had originally set up.

So I'm still clueless as to the cause. All I know is the unit failed for no apparent reason and I am now much more concerned about it's reliability.

Like one of the previous comments, I also purchased my unit from Andertons a couple of months ago. If I have any more issues it will be returned for a refund and Line 6 will be off my equipment supplier list. I can't afford reliability issues with gear, and reading the issues above doesn't really give me much confidence in their ability to fault find and update their products.

How did you verify this?

It was an assumption based on it being an outdoor event, well away from any public or private buildings, plus no phones or tables could detect any wifi routers in the area.

Do you think a stray wifi signal could have been present and resulted in my receiver unit resetting itself to factory defaults??

Just throwing my 2 cents about the G70 here... I mentioned in an earlier post that I was using the G75. Well a few months ago, I decided to switch to the G70 since I could mount it on my board with my Helix. I've been using the G70 all summer for my various gigs, and I've not had any issues with it whatsoever. I've not had it cut out once. Depending on the specific gig, I use three transmitters and three scenes on the G70. It has been great.

It was an assumption based on it being an outdoor event, well away from any public or private buildings, plus no phones or tables could detect any wifi routers in the area.

Do you think a stray wifi signal could have been present and resulted in my receiver unit resetting itself to factory defaults??

I don't think that would cause your unit to go back to factory default settings. That's most likely a separate issue. 

You would be surprized at how many wifi signals are around that are not set to be "discoverable" by your laptop or ipad. We have a dedicated wifi router at our church set up specifically to connect iOS devices to our Behringer X32 mixer. Unless you know the device name, it is undiscoverable by all devices. Personal Hotspots are also in the wifi frequency range. 

The person posting above about autoscanning every time with your wireless system was spot on. Even though you do it during sound check, do it again after many more people have shown up to the venue with who knows what kind of device in that frequency range. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the G70 a few months ago and upgraded the firmware immediately. For me, it has been a dream to work with. The sound is very transparent. Its easy to setup and I have had no issues with interference. For the price and package, its a good deal. I did putchase a nee transmitter batrery pack cable that was of higher quality. So far the biggest issue I have had was finding the correct power supply as the USB interface seemed a little to deligate to trust on stage. The tuner/mute and battery life features are awesome. Also the different profiles are very helpful if you use more than one guitar/bass. I play high end basses with very active electronics and so far I have had no issues with clipping or sound degregation. As witeless goes YMMV, but for the money this unit is a solid 10. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using my G70 for a few months now - no drop outs. Been doing a lot of rehearsals and gigs - no problems whatsoever :-)
Now the bass player in my band has acquired a G10.
At our first gig with both G's running, I got a lot of drop outs. Sometimes for just one second, sometimes for 5-10 seconds. Eventually there was no sound from my G70.

Bass player shut down and restarted the G10, while my G70 was 'on'. Improvement for at few minutes, then the G70 drop outs came back.
We ended up with the bass player using a cable instead of the G10 - and my G70 was OK again ...

What is the correct procedure for making G70 and G10 work together?

G70 has latest firmware on both receiver and transmitter - and seems to work OK, except when the G10 is 'on' ...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having major dropouts with my G70. I've only had it since the end of September. It'll work fine for sound check and then I'll run out to the middle of the stage to start the first song and... nothing! Sometimes, if there's a long pause between songs or a spot in the song where I'm not playing for several minutes, it seems to maybe go into sleep mode and the only way I can get it to come back on is to reach around and turn the pack off & back on again. It also does this sometimes too when I switch to the tuner then return and it won't be there. It's gotten to the point to where I have to constantly scratch my pick on the strings just to make sure it's still connected between songs. Very unreliable! 
I noticed someone mentioned a 1.05 update. The only update I could find was 1.03 and mine is already that version. The update section of their website is very confusing to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the Line 6 G70 Guitar Wireless System. I did a lot of research first and really felt that this was going to be the ideal system at a very affordable price. And that may be still the true, but when I opened up the box and tried to use it, there is no power connector at all, no way to plug it in, unless, of course, I have a peddle board with power connectors and cables already, which I don't. I am running straight into an amp.

So now, my exciting new tool has to wait until I go to Radio Shack and buy additional equipment to make it work. I don't want to bash this product, I am sure it will be great once I start using it, I just want to bash the fact that I can't use it until I go to Radio Shack and buy some more things. This has been like a Christmas morning with an exciting new toy that can't be used because there are no batteries, and the stores are all closed for the holidays.

Line 6, what were you thinking? Not only do you not include it, but you don't even tell us what power connector we need to buy to make the equipment work!

There should have been a micro-USB cable and USB power adapter in the box. The G70 receiver can be powered either by a 9V DC connection or the micro-USB jack. I would recommend getting a 9V power supply for long term use, but the USB power supply that comes with it will work out of the box.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Where are you seeing all these recent negative reviews, though? The last negative one I see on Sweetwater is from January 2016... (same on GC and Amazon). Just curious.

Personally, I think with any item sold online, there's always going to be some negative review. There don't seem to be a ton of reviews of the G70 in general, so I don't know, it's hard to say. This particular section of the forum isn't exactly tearing it up as far as the number of posts per day goes. I think because a wireless system is much simpler from an operational perspective, these forums are always going to be slow. I think people see these things as either working or not, and I imagine that people who own them and haven't had problems are much less likely to post about them than those that have problems.

Hi. I don't think you should be all that hung up in these reviews. I personally NEVER review items purchased myself - but I keep in touch with the manufacturer. I don't think these issues with the G70 has slipped by Line 6 at all!  All these drop out issues are still there - and they are well reviewed at forums and other places on the web.

Judging by the releases of FW updates there aren't much done by Line 6 to help out. It seems that they hardly been working on the Relay G 70 systems at all after release years ago.

On other items from other manufacturers FW updates are released constantly to improve these items. 

Due to constant issues on my G70 AND the fact that FW aren't updated in a loooong while, I feel forced to return my G 70. Which is too bad I think. The G 70 is a GREAT idea and both transmitter and receiver seem to have a rock solid built. But when this gear messes up my paid gigs the way they do, i just have to stop using them and change into a wireless that works.

• 1 month later...

I have been using the G90 for years. Never had any problems. I just sold it and bought G70 as I needed a pedal version. It has been a big disappointment so far. Btw, I live in Europem, as I see there is someone mentioning US vs Europe.

The first week it worked fine, by lately I have been getting many dropouts, even when standing only a few meters away from the device. Last night I updated to firmware version 1.05 for the Receiver and version 1.03 for the transmitter? Are these the latest versions? 1.03 for the transmitter seems to be from 2015, but I cannot find anything else. 

I have just been running on channel 1 the whole time and I am the only one in the band using G70. The other two guys are using G30 and they never had any issues. How do I perfer a scan every at every venue to check what is the most ideal channel?

• 7 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 7:23 AM, phil_m said:
On 11/14/2017 at 5:02 AM, kevinthomasmusic said:

I just bought the Line 6 G70 Guitar Wireless System. I did a lot of research first and really felt that this was going to be the ideal system at a very affordable price. And that may be still the true, but when I opened up the box and tried to use it, there is no power connector at all, no way to plug it in, unless, of course, I have a peddle board with power connectors and cables already, which I don't. I am running straight into an amp.

So now, my exciting new tool has to wait until I go to Radio Shack and buy additional equipment to make it work. I don't want to bash this product, I am sure it will be great once I start using it, I just want to bash the fact that I can't use it until I go to Radio Shack and buy some more things. This has been like a Christmas morning with an exciting new toy that can't be used because there are no batteries, and the stores are all closed for the holidays.

Line 6, what were you thinking? Not only do you not include it, but you don't even tell us what power connector we need to buy to make the equipment work!

There should have been a micro-USB cable and USB power adapter in the box. The G70 receiver can be powered either by a 9V DC connection or the micro-USB jack. I would recommend getting a 9V power supply for long term use, but the USB power supply that comes with it will work out of the box.

Somebody at the factory screwed up and left it out of the box, or someone at the retailer stole the adapter and cable out of your box, because the G70 system comes with the adapter and a USB to micro USB cable. It's in the manual and everything... 

I know it's about a year too late, but I would have contacted Line 6 about sending me a USB power adapter.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, pederlyng said:

I've been using my G70 for a few months now - no drop outs. Been doing a lot of rehearsals and gigs - no problems whatsoever :-)
Now the bass player in my band has acquired a G10.
At our first gig with both G's running, I got a lot of drop outs. Sometimes for just one second, sometimes for 5-10 seconds. Eventually there was no sound from my G70.

Bass player shut down and restarted the G10, while my G70 was 'on'. Improvement for at few minutes, then the G70 drop outs came back.
We ended up with the bass player using a cable instead of the G10 - and my G70 was OK again ...

What is the correct procedure for making G70 and G10 work together?

G70 has latest firmware on both receiver and transmitter - and seems to work OK, except when the G10 is 'on' ...

Our band now has G75 with two transmitters (for bass) and both guitarists have G10s.  We have had some collision dropouts unless we followed an order of frequency coordination... At soundcheck, setup and scan best frequency on the G70 with G10 off.  With G70 freq set, turn on G10 and scan/setup.  Once set, if you are turning off before turning back on, make sure you turn the G70 before turning on G10 each time.  Autoscan on the G70 and follow this process every time you gig.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 9:24 PM, djangob said:

Since these Line 6 systems are all using 2.4 GHz, you should be assessing the RF environment in the location you are trying to use it EVERY time. You must run the channel auto-scan every time to look for clearest open channels. If you are running multiples Line 6 systems, you need to scan for each, leave it active and repeat the process and scan the next until each has the clearest open channel.

I don't see this stated in many of the comments from those complaining of drop outs.

Just checking if your iPhone or some other wifi device has clear signal is not going to help you and any active wifi device too close to your Relay is going to impact both. With the proliferation of wifi control of mixing systems, there are more devices competing with bandwidth. If you have other wifi devices iPad, iPhone that you use to manage your PA or monitor mix control, if you can, move them to 5.8GHz.

You cannot compare to a UHF based system or even Europe vs North Amerian without understanding how crowded the 2.4GHz is where you are trying to use.

I use my G75 professionally for 50 plus shows a year with two transmitters, I scan for open channels on both EVERY time, at every location (twice, once for each) 98% of the time I have no issues, but there are some venues where the 2.4 GHz is so crowded near the stage there is just too much interference to use reliably.

I don't understand why Line 6 doesn't make it clear that it must be done EVERY time and make the interface even easier to complete this process. I read that the Relay G10 scans for an open channel every time you start it to use. They all should do this. I have been asking that Line6 improve the interface on the G75 since the unit was released to make that the first thing you do every time you turn it on.

This is from 2010... and still applies.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/24ghz-wireless-faq-r242

In addition to everything he has said, go read the Advancing the Room series of documents for tips to clean things up.  One thing I've noticed a lot of people do and then not understand why they have dropouts is to place the Receiver in the rack with the PA and mount the router for ipad control of the PA in the rack.  So you have a strong wifi broadcast signal right next to the receiver.  I use an access point with a 100ft cable on a reel.  When I set my PA up I extend the access point far away from the rack and the wireless receivers.  I also, as mentioned in the quoted post, keep the 2.4GHz radio turned off on my access point and only use 5GHz for mix control.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second G70:

1. Firmware updated and current

2. Scan spectrum every gig after all other wireless systems are active (I'm an amateur radio guy btw)

3. The G70 is the best worst wireless i have ever owned (i have 4) 

4. Best functionality, worst wireless performance  

• 1 month later...

I use the G30 and it used to have the same (very common) problem. It's something to do with bandwith "hogging" and the dropouts can be caused by devices nearby searching for wireless devices - in particular mobile phones.

As an experiment, I turned my mobile off and the dropouts completely stopped.

The cause of the issue was that the Line6 wirelesses (I'm told) are shipped in RF2 mode (whatever that is) which apparently hogs less bandwidth, but is affected by other local wireless activity. To get round the problem, it's a case of switching to RF1 mode, which hogs more local bandwidth/frequency channels but is less prone to interference. I've no idea how to do this on the G70 (or if it's even configurable) but the procedure on the G30 is as follows:

With transmitter off, set the Channel Select slide switch to channel 6.

Turn on the transmitter.

Immediately after the blue light blinks, slide the Channel Select switch completely left to channel 1 and back to channel 6. Do this 3 times total.

This process must be completed within three seconds of turning on the transmitter.

The blue LED will flash once to indicate that the transmitter is now in the 4-frequency transmission mode. To revert to RF2 transmission mode, repeat the above steps; the blue LED will flash twice when the transmitter is in this mode.

I did this a couple of years ago and since then have never had a single dropout.

If the G70 can't be configured for RF1, try moving your mobile well away from the transmitter/receiver or turn the phone's wireless off.

• 2 weeks later...

We're a touring band and we bought 2 g70 systems because of the built in tuner. Both are updated to latest firmware. 1 system has a terrably noice in the background all the time. And the input level is so hot, it feedbacks all the time. And the drop outs.. I've Sent it back. 

The other system drops out all the time no matter what channel. And it makes our other g30 and g50 system drop out... 

Terrable system. Going back to g30 or g

50 again. 

Don't buy IMO. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/15/2016 at 1:45 PM, phil_m said:

Yep, agreed. I find those that are experiencing dropouts are those that perhaps failed to RTFM ;) Dropouts on G70/G75 are ONLY caused by 2 things EVER:

1. Failure to use a CLEAR channel, that is, a channel that is not already in use; and

2. Metal objects in between the TX and RX.

Over 400 shows on my first unit, and over 35 on my backup (shared to other guitar player), and not a single dropout.