Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sigma 3 IRs for ACOUSTIC guitar are going to change your life.

PeterHamm

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/acoustic-impulses/

Been using my own homebrewed out of Mama Bear, as well as the Taylor (Aura) and Wes Hunter ones that are out there.

These are so good I'll never use those ones again, guys. No... Lie...

If you use your acoustic with Helix, pony up the 30 bucks right now!

I paid my own money for these, they didn't give them to me.

Just.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

Been using my own homebrewed out of Mama Bear, as well as the Taylor (Aura) and Wes Hunter ones that are out there.

Just.

Wow.

I purchased the Mart 45 and got some really nice tones .. Best Acoustic IR s i"ve yet to hear! They come with files for acoustic, electric and Piezo pick ups!

Just.

Wow.

Are you using them with an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar or some kind of hybrid acoustic-electric with piezos?

Are you using them with an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar or some kind of hybrid acoustic-electric with piezos?

So far, only with my Crowdster Plus 2, which is technically an acoustic piezo guitar, with real bronze strings.

Tomorrow I intend to try with the piezos in my two electrics (both of them Tom Andersons with PowerBridges).

I will, if I get time, try with the electric pickups, but I'd never actually use them that way.

And I will try and make a video/audio sample.

I wonder if these have been tailored for 'dry' thin body electrics to give them more of a full bodied sound?

The Aura wasn't too bad, but Fishman intentionally left out their 'image casting' images from their gallery, which meant the only option was to mix and match 'full size' images that weren't meant for piezo bridge electrics. After trying numerous images, I kind of got close, but the Crowdster always sounded better (or at least just as good) with the Aura's image blend at zero percent. It'd sound great for a few weeks, then I'd turn the blend down from 30% to 0% and go, "wow, that's better". Setting it above 30% never worked live as it sounded too plinky and got lost in the mix.

What kind of blend percentage did you end up running with these 3-Sigma IRs?

• Like 1

I wonder if these have been tailored for 'dry' thin body electrics to give them more of a full bodied sound?

The Aura wasn't too bad, but Fishman intentionally left out their 'image casting' images from their gallery, which meant the only option was to mix and match 'full size' images that weren't meant for piezo bridge electrics. After trying numerous images, I kind of got close, but the Crowdster always sounded better (or at least just as good) with the Aura's image blend at zero percent. It'd sound great for a few weeks, then I'd turn the blend down from 30% to 0% and go, "wow, that's better". Setting it above 30% never worked live as it sounded too plinky and got lost in the mix.

What kind of blend percentage did you end up running with these 3-Sigma IRs?

EXACTLY.

I use it at 100%. Sounds A - MAZ - ING!

Will make a video when I can.

So far, only with my Crowdster Plus 2, which is technically an acoustic piezo guitar, with real bronze strings.

Tomorrow I intend to try with the piezos in my two electrics (both of them Tom Andersons with PowerBridges).

I will, if I get time, try with the electric pickups, but I'd never actually use them that way.

And I will try and make a video/audio sample.

The Crowdster is a really nice guitar but a bit of a custom design.  I am wondering what these IRs would sound like with something like a standard acoustic-electric like a Martin or Taylor with a soundhole? I guess the video gives you some idea of their sound and the IRs do sound good with both standard acoustic guitars and electrics. I am curious what they would sound like with a Variax or with an electric guitar with a piezo. I notice that they notably don't include any strumming on the clips of the electric guitars playing through the IRs - finger-picking only. Seems like even with a good IR it is still a challenge to get a good strummed sound with an electric emulating an acoustic. I must admit I am tempted to give these a try and psyched to see 3Sigma embarking on what looks like an ongoing effort to produce IRs for acoustic instruments of all kinds.

The Crowdster is a really nice guitar but a bit of a custom design.

But the crowdster is really, when you plug it in, just a really good sounding plugged-in acoustic guitar. Nothing that weird about it in my (extensive) experience.

Only difference is that is sounds better by itself plugged in directly to a system than most "real" acoustic guitars do.

I tested the Taylor ones with an electric guitar :

https://www.facebook.com/fremen.mu/videos/10153688337172245/

I need to get myself a piezo-equiped electric

Didn't care for any of those, honestly, but I'm not sure what it's reasonable to expect. A solid body electric just isn't going to sound like my 1970's D35, no matter what.

I agree on that, nothing beats a real acoustic guitar. But a piezo-equiped guitar with 3 sigma IRs come damn close.

However I was able to have good results with making IRs of an electro-acoustic guitar. It's not the same thing than a good acoustic guitar, but I live, I sounded better with it than the other guitar guitar player in my band, who uses a real electro-acoustic, but of a cheap brand

really gasing for an electric with a piezo now :)

Some of those weren't too bad I thought. That's mag pickups only?

Out of curiosity, what gauge strings are on that guitar? Especially with some pickup choices, they sounded like they were implausibly light for an acoustic. Not that that's actually true, just gave (me) that impression.

Any amp model before the IR's?  or just Acoustic > Helix >Acoustic IR block > Maybe some reverb? Very interested in plugging my Takamine into this to test it out.

In my experience...

signal chain is... Acoustic IR -> vintage tube pre (line level) -> studio comp -> parametric EQ (set to taste)

Any amp model before the IR's?  or just Acoustic > Helix >Acoustic IR block > Maybe some reverb? Very interested in plugging my Takamine into this to test it out.

it already has some modeling. an IR ends up just mucking the sound all up... if you mix it 50% or less it might be cool. Try it!

My taste...  I like the Sigma IR's in the comparison video, but the naked sound is a close second.  I don't like what the Taylor IR does personally, and I am hearing the same results in your video that I heard on my own guitar when I first applied it.  Sound is made tinny and boxy, which could be an improvement if that was what you were aiming for... I just never aim there personally..  Much more body is preserved in the Sigma IR.

It sounded like Sigma IR on the Crowdster was a couple of dB quieter, but the sound was full bodied and most importantly still had a strong mid range. I agree that with the Crowdster the Sigma was best, with raw a close second (but with obvious piezo bridge characteristics). It shows how good the Crowdster is when it comes to a great plugged in acoustic tone.

Thanks Peter.

Thanks for posting up the video PeterHamm.  Some incredibly good tones there but I am still hearing that vaguely "piezo" artificial slightly phased, slightly digital tone that makes me throw up my hands and just want to plug my acoustic direct to the board or through my old Yamaha AG stomp. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just does not quite have that killer woody organic tone I look for in an acoustic guitar sound. Not bad overall though, better than many other so called acoustic presets, IRs, and tones I have heard and would certainly do just fine for saving you having to bring an extra acoustic guitar to a gig. Still leaning towards giving these a try.

Thanks for posting up the video PeterHamm.  Some good tones there but I am still hearing that vaguely "piezo" artificial slightly phased, slightly digital tone that makes me throw up my hands and just want to plug my acoustic direct to the board or through my old Yamaha AG stomp. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just does not quite have that killer woody organic tone I look for in an acoustic guitar sound. Not bad overall though, certainly better than many other so called acoustic presets and tones I have heard and would certainly do just fine for saving you having to bring an extra acoustic guitar to a gig.

Consider, though, that I didn't add the vintage tube pre, any EQ or compression. All of those help with the sound IMMENSELY and I'd never make a patch without them.

Anyone use with Variax acoustic models??

I haven't tried them yet, but have tried others with the Variax tones. They don't work at all. Its because the piezo pickups are effectively going through to acoustic body models. Line6 needs to update the Variax models to give us a no pickup no body, straight piezo output model so that we can use these IRs.

I haven't tried them yet, but have tried others with the Variax tones. They don't work at all. Its because the piezo pickups are effectively going through to acoustic body models. Line6 needs to update the Variax models to give us a no pickup no body, straight piezo output model so that we can use these IRs.

Echo that!

... but I am still hearing that vaguely "piezo" artificial slightly phased, slightly digital tone that makes me throw up my hands and just want to plug my acoustic direct to the board or through my old Yamaha AG stomp...

Forgot to mention, HUGE AG Stomp fan here. I bought it when it was brand new and I use it often when I just want a simple guitar into PA. Only one of the mic images works well for me, but that built-in EQ is so outstanding I can make any guitar sound great through any PA in less than 90 seconds.

I WISH they would update that tech and make an AG Stomp II or something. MagicStomp had it in there but it was noisier and didn't quite sound the same.

i have a zoom acoustic preamp (zoom A3) that has some acoustic modelling on it.. i'd tried some free impulses in helix but preferred just using the zoom with the mix about 50% .. i have a pretty good top of the line maton guitar that is the same model tommy emanuel played about the time mine was made (10 or so years ago) so it sounds pretty good with minimal fuss.. i have a few other lesser guitars tho that may be sweetened by the sigma ir's, so may have to spring for one pack at least to try them..