Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Roundtrip Latency + G50

Weed_

Hello!

I´m thinking of going wireless and adding g50 to my rig. My consurn is the latency. I had really good computer based rig, but 8-10ms latency drove me crazy so I went with helix. I would like to know what is the total roundtrip latency of helix, since it is not stated anywhere?

Kemper and axe fx should be around 2ms, which is awesome, but when adding g50, that would make it 6ms, which is already plenty. Add another pedal in loop of helix and we are near 10ms? Am I wrong on the subject?

Line 6 staff, little help please, I have awesome deal on g50 and would really appreciate your advice..

Thanks!

The throughput latency of the Helix is kind of difficult to give exact numbers on because it's always going to be slightly different depending on what's in the patch. But, IIRC, I believe it's less than 2ms (probably closer to 1.5ms). Generally every layer of conversion through one of the Helix's loops add something like 1 - 1.2ms. So, I suppose if you're using multiple loops with digital pedals in them (all loops on at the same time), it would be possible to get up around 10ms. But that would take a lot of stuff.

FWIW I've been using the G50 with the Helix from day one, one of my configurations has all the loops running.  I've have yet to feel any discernible lag in doing so.

You probably already know this - a millisecond equates to about 1 ft of distance from the sound source, so when I walk across the stage to ham it up with a bandmate I'm creating 40/50 ms of perceived delay.  Wa-a-ay more noticeable than anything I've felt from the rig itself....

I have a G50 wireless and the Helix which I use in 4 cable method with a 5150 iii 50 watt amp and 30 feet of cable (90 feet total).  

In my normal usage I do not feel any perceived delay. 

When I am using the Helix to drop my tuning a half step there is a noticeable latency but not enough to make a difference, especially in a live setting.  When I go out into the audience or something the actual distance from the amp is much, much more noticeable than anything else.

My advice always is "if you have any concerns try it out for yourself."  If you need to find someone in your area with a Helix and a G50 or something you need to make the effort.

...8-10ms latency drove me crazy...

Although I don't know exactly how every DAW calculates its latency, I've come to believe that they don't always report it accurately. I'm not sure if they're just guessing based on buffer size or what, but if 8-10 ms is what your DAW was reporting, I wouldn't be surprised if the true effective latency of your setup was actually double that (16-20 ms) or more.

Although I don't know exactly how every DAW calculates its latency, I've come to believe that they don't always report it accurately. I'm not sure if they're just guessing based on buffer size or what, but if 8-10 ms is what your DAW was reporting, I wouldn't be surprised if the true effective latency of your setup was actually double that (16-20 ms) or more.

DAWs will generally give separate numbers for input and output latency. One is often worse than the other, particularly with USB interfaces (at least older ones).

I have been using the G10 with the Helix and have not noticed any significant latency.