Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

raven245680

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. If so, please help and direct me to the information that was discussed. Thank you!

When connecting my Firehawk 1500 via the Main XLR outputs on the back to my PA system (Behringer X18 iOS Live Sound Console), I am getting a clipping sound through the PA speaker. As I play and listen simultaneously to what is coming out of the PA and what is coming out of the Firehawk 1500, the clipping sound is only coming out of the PA speaker, not coming out of the Firehawk 1500. I will say that I first experienced this issue while running a mono output from the Firehawk 1500, but there should still not be any clipping even if I run a mono output feed.

I have the gain on the mixer turned down very low to where it is almost off and there is still a clipping sound.

This is not a grounding issue so I do not need the Ground Lift activated. I already checked that while troubleshooting.

I troubleshooted with other XLR cables; all still with the same clipping result occurring. It is not a cable issue.

If anyone has had any issue similar to what I am currently dealing with and had a resolve, please let me know exactly how you solved this issue. I will answer any questions that are posed. Thank you!

Charlie

You have two options.  First you can go into the master volume output section of the app, and turn down the global guitar output.  That is was controls the level going out of the XLRs.  In doing so, it will also lower the overall level of the guitar coming out of the amp.  You can you use the master volume to make up for this loss.  The other option, is to make sure that the individual patch volume of each patch is not set to 100%.  As a good rule of thumb, I generally set all of my patch levels to about 65% (+ or - 5%).  This allows me some headroom, so that I can level the different patches against each other.  Again, if you need more volume; bump up the master on the amp to make up for the volume loss from turning down the guitar master output, and lowering the patch levels.  Hope this helps.

Matt

• Upvote 2

You have two options.  First you can go into the master volume output section of the app, and turn down the global guitar output.  That is was controls the level going out of the XLRs.  In doing so, it will also lower the overall level of the guitar coming out of the amp.  You can you use the master volume to make up for this loss.  The other option, is to make sure that the individual patch volume of each patch is not set to 100%.  As a good rule of thumb, I generally set all of my patch levels to about 65% (+ or - 5%).  This allows me some headroom, so that I can level the different patches against each other.  Again, if you need more volume; bump up the master on the amp to make up for the volume loss from turning down the guitar master output, and lowering the patch levels.  Hope this helps.

Matt

Thank you, Matt. I will certainly try this tonight at rehearsal. If it goes well, I will respond.

I would say turn down the input gain on channels on the mixer where the XLRs from the Firehawk are connected would be a better option that changing levels in patches etc .. if it's not clipping in the amp itself then it must be the mixer inputs that are clipping - do you have a pad switch on the mixeer channel thats switched on?

I would say turn down the input gain on channels on the mixer where the XLRs from the Firehawk are connected would be a better option that changing levels in patches etc .. if it's not clipping in the amp itself then it must be the mixer inputs that are clipping - do you have a pad switch on the mixeer channel thats switched on?

No, there isn't a pad switch on the mixer channel.

Update: Using my Paul Reed Smith the other night, I still had the same issue after doing some tweaking and what Matt suggested above. However, when I plugged my Fender Stratocaster in I did not have the issue. So it makes you think that it is the PRS guitar, but when playing the PRS through the amp you do not hear any clipping. It is only when you connect out of the Line 6 Firehawk 1500 and hear what you are playing through the PA system. Very odd and I do not understand. I tested my PRS with other amps and have no issues.

I still think that this is clipping at the mixer input - there is usually an input gain control on most mixers that i've seen - can you turn this down and and see if it stops clipping? Also are there any other options on the mixer to select instrument/line level for the input channel.. if so try changing this.

I think the PRS thing is probably just that this guitar is higher output than the Fender Strat so the resulting output level is higher, causing more clipping. The XLR outs are fixed line level and are not affected by the amps volume control.

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid, ritchiecat, I experienced that clipping from XLR main out as well, and it is definitely already in the signal coming from the xlr main out. I tested different devices' aux ins. My assumption: It depends on the amp and signal path. If you use "loud" amps, than though hearing good FH1500 speaker sound, the signal is to loud for line level output. Don't know what kind of device is between DSP and xlr main out, but that thing does the clipping if the amp simulation output is too high.

So before using main out, I adjust the guitar output level (grey led ring on volume knob) until no clipping occurs. It is a little bit like microphoning amps: you have to use different mic-preamp-volumes for different amps.