Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500 ..... can you disable all Cab Sims and Mics Sims ...... ?

benifin

Hi all

My nephew is keen on a HD 500  and when he gets it he wants me to set up a " cheap "  [ ha ha :) ]  Solid State Amp and guitar cab for him.

Basically, he wants to

- use all the efx / pre amp simulations / power amp simulations  but  totally remove / disable all the Cab Simulations and Mic simulations .... then run in to a flat SS Amp and then into a real guitar speaker .... so ....

=> can the individual HD 500 patches  [ or globally ]  be run with everything enabled and active  but  with all the Cab Simulations and Mic simulations totally off  ?

My thanks in advance,

Ben

Yes, just need to disable the cabs on the amp blocks in each patch :)

Altho' if you're running proper FRFR then you want the cab sims... if you were running a power amp into a normal guitar cab you would disable them :)

Many thanks - my bad :) ..... Ive fixed/edited my op

So just to confirm:-

-> disabling the Cab on each patch  gets rid of it fully  (?) .... or does it leave some sort of  " Live Cab "  /  " Flat / Transparent "  Mic in the chain  ?

Ben

Actually he just called me and said he plans to disable the cabs / mics and plug the HD 500 in to either a Logidy EPSi IR player  -or-  an AMT Pangaea IR player .... this way he can use  3rd party IR's.

Im a bit curous now ..... seems  like a  potenitally  really great idea / option ......

-> anyone else already done this  ?

if so

-> big improvement ?  small improvement ?  no improvement  ?

Ben 

Call me crazy but shouldn't your nephew at least try the HD first? If he hasn't created one tone yet or has settled on an amplification method its putting the "cart before the horse".

I've been running IRs through a GSP1101 and yep some sound great but some sound like lollipop. IRs can expand the tonal possibilities but if you can't create a decent tone to start with they are not going to magically fix things. IMO of course. ;)

There is no on/off button. But, when designing patches, you just don't put them in your chain. 

Much like saying "can I turn off all of the Flangers" - just don't put them in there. 

But here is my assessment ---- 

If you aren't using the modeling, you are buying the wrong unit. It's sort of like buying a Ferrari and only driving it to the end of the driveway to get your mail. 

The fx of the unit aren't bad, but there are units that cost a lot less that don't have the models in them. You'll be paying for a lot of stuff that you just aren't using.

Actually he just called me and said he plans to disable the cabs / mics and plug the HD 500 in to either a Logidy EPSi IR player  -or-  an AMT Pangaea IR player .... this way he can use  3rd party IR's.

Im a bit curous now ..... seems  like a  potenitally  really great idea / option ......

-> anyone else already done this  ?

if so

-> big improvement ?  small improvement ?  no improvement  ?

Ben 

I use an AMT Pangaea, I tried the HD without cabs and into an IR loader on my laptop, sound is way better so I got the Pangaea! 

I put in an amp block, disable the cab, put the effects loop block after the amp, Pangaea in the loop, job done! 

I have the loop set to line level (switch on back of HD) and the pangaea set to that as well, it handles it fine, however the EPSi needs a much lower level, you need to set it to stomp and lower the send level on the effects loop and raise the return by the same amount...