Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax plink clang document whittling down two threads

I started to create a document attempting to distill all the posts that had to do with possible causes and solutions of the plink/clang issue,
from two threads. The “Do You Have The Same Problem With 6th String?†and the “Make Your Variax Sound 100% Better†I thought people that don’t want to plow through these threads might like this so I’m attaching it here. It ain't perfect but here it is. I decided late into it to put the post number in bold type before the posts but I couldn't find all of the posts I had already put in there. So some don't have number. The posts with only a number are from the Do You Have The Same Problem With 6th String thread. If it's from the Make Your Variax Sound 100% Better thread I put that title before the thread number. I do have some thoughts on the issue.

So it seems like a lot of the problem has to do with physical issues. BUT not one in particular. It seems in order to work well the JTV’s require as pure a string vibration as it can get because the piezos are VERY sensitive and can pick up many extraneous sounds that the guitar can create. And the guitar can create many different extraneous sounds/artifacts. And each guitar can create them in MANY different ways. String vibration behind the bridge, trem spring vibration, the string vibrating against the channel in the bridge before the piezo, etc., etc. Even the string vibrating against a fret in a poorly setup guitar. This is why there is no universal solution. Each guitar creates different artifacts different ways.

The piezos themselves seem to have widely varying degrees of sensitivity. So it appears that just because your guitar creates artifacts, it doesn’t mean you will have the issue. Your particular piezo may not be as sensitive to artifacts as others.

And let’s not discount the software possibilities. Why, when the E and A string piezo connections get swapped, does the clang not get swapped? If the E string has the clang, when the connections are swapped, the A string suddenly has the clang. It has been stated that each string is processed differently. So can they reprogram the E string so it eliminates the clang like the A string does? But if that’s true, why doesn’t every JTV have the clang. Is it because it only produces the clang because the E string has a more powerful signal (it has the most mass) so if you have a highly sensitive piezo it can’t handle the clang but a less sensitive piezo can? But if that’s true………..On and on and on.

There is a solution posted that involves changing all of the body styles to neutral. But doesn’t that defeat half of the reason we ponied up over $1000 for this thing?  Kiss all my hollow bodies good bye. And this solution still doesn’t work for everyone.

And now they aren’t putting any more resources toward it. I’m sorry, “deprioritizing†it “due to a variety of reasonsâ€. This is VERY disconcerting. All I can say is, if they bail on the JTV, especially if it’s for a new guitar modeler, I’ll not participate. They bailed on the Vetta amp with several issues that were never addressed but acknowledged (with a statement they were working on it. Sound familiar?)  so this wouldn’t be the first time Line 6 left customers hanging. And let’s not forget the Variax bass. When it first came out, they advertised Workbench compatibility was coming. It’s even mentioned in the manual (which I have). Guess what. Bass wasn’t popular soooooooo…no Workbench. In many many ways Line 6 has been VERY good to me which is why I’ve stuck with them. This is the worst though. I can still  use my Vetta and Variax bass to 95% of their advertised capabilites. But this pretty much bricks the Variax for those that do have the issue . They would need to have some kind of FAIR compensation for those that have the issue for me to stick with them and I don’t even have the clang issue (knock on wood).

And now they aren’t putting any more resources toward it. I’m sorry, “deprioritizing†it “due to a variety of reasonsâ€.

Roughly translated: "Go Helix!!!" 😅

All that's missing is a visual of the exhaustive analysis: Head scratch and a confused grunt...like if you handed a cell phone to a gorilla. Then someone asks: "How many units? (Pause for a response) That's it?!? Next....;)

I had some other issues with a 89F and they gave me a new guitar.

Unfortunately that one had The clang issue.

I made a ticket with Line6 and after a few questions from them they offerde to send me yet a new one which they would test themselves before sending it to my retailer.

I thought that was pretty cool!

I'm waiting now for the call from my retailer.

I had some other issues with a 89F and they gave me a new guitar.

Unfortunately that one had The clang issue.

I made a ticket with Line6 and after a few questions from them they offerde to send me yet a new one which they would test themselves before sending it to my retailer.

I thought that was pretty cool!

I'm waiting now for the call from my retailer.

If that's how they are going to start handling it, at least it's a step in the right direction. I still haven't given up on Line 6!