Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DI and Impedance

Coercer

I just recently got a Helix (finally!) and I've been spending some time trying to digest all the options and settings. I read that Firmware 2.0 changed the impedance settings so it's per-input rather than global (which is incredibly flexible). However, I've been unable to find out what impedance the USB Input blocks use (or the DI input, though I imagine that doesn't really apply). If I have a DI (dry) signal going from my DAW into the Helix, is there any way to adjust the impedance, or is it automatically set to auto (and therefore affected by the first block)? Thanks for the help!

The input impedance is an actual physical circuit, so if you're reamping from a signal you recorded through the Helix's guitar input, the input impedance is "baked in" to the recorded signal. The input Z setting doesn't have any affect on the USB input signal.

Excellent to know! Then it was the opposite of how I was thinking about it. In that case, if I have my guitar plugged into the Guitar In on the front, and I record USB 7/8 in my DAW (the DI signal that bypasses all processing), what impedance is being recorded? There's no global setting (that I've found) or a setting for USB 7/8 (there is no input block for this, of course), so I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Thanks again!

Excellent to know! Then it was the opposite of how I was thinking about it. In that case, if I have my guitar plugged into the Guitar In on the front, and I record USB 7/8 in my DAW (the DI signal that bypasses all processing), what impedance is being recorded? There's no global setting (that I've found) or a setting for USB 7/8 (there is no input block for this, of course), so I'm having a hard time understanding this.

Thanks again!

Well, in some sense, since the USB 7/8 inputs are digital, talking about input impedance as it relates to pickup loading kind of doesn't make sense. But the dry signal that get sent to USB 7/8 will be affected by the input Z setting because that setting is actually determining how your guitar pickups are being loaded.

Think of it like this - the USB 7/8 dry signal is split off after the guitar in A/D converter (after the signal has been converted to digital). The input Z setting is affecting the analog signal prior to conversion. Does that make sense?