Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Roland EV 5 pedal works with Helix

Paolo_Maina

As long as the minimum value on the knob on the side is set to zero (or that was the case for the HD500).

One trick that you might not have thought of is that if you open the base you can pull the excess cable into the body of the pedal and leave only the minimum length you require to reach the sockets on the Helix (or other unit such as HD500) without getting in the way of the mechanism so you have have neat cables without doing anything permanent. 

• Like 1

As long as the minimum value on the knob on the side is set to zero (or that was the case for the HD500).

One trick that you might not have thought of is that if you open the base you can pull the excess cable into the body of the pedal and leave only the minimum length you require to reach the sockets on the Helix (or other unit such as HD500) without getting in the way of the mechanism so you have have neat cables without doing anything permanent. 

Thank you but i need long cable because when i'm home i use helix lifted from the floor when i'm tweaking my sounds an recording myself

You have to reverse polarity in global setting.

Minimum pot to zero.

I though to inform all users cause EV5 is a very cheap pedal, everybody can save some money.

It works, but I remember there being something amiss with the parameters changing and pedal travel. Lin vs. log pot maybe.

i don't know , i've used it yesterday as wah pedal in my song....no problem.

I've found this list

Bespeco VM18L - 20k

Boss FV-500 - 10k linear (expression pot)

Boss EV-5 - 10k linear

Boss EV-7 - 10k linear ("extra range" pot adds up to 50k ohms)

Boss FV-50L - 50k linear

Ernie Ball VP jr. (active) - 25k log

Ernie Ball VP jr. (passive) - 250k log

Korg EXP-2 - 50k linear

Kurzweil CC-1 - 20k linear

Line6 EX-1 - 10k linear

Mission EP-L6 - 10k linear

Moog EP-2 - 50k linear (reducable)

M-Audio EX-P - 10k linear

Pigtronix EP-1 - 20k

Proel Volume Pedal - 100k linear

Roland RV-5 - 10k linear

TC Electronic X1 - 25k log

Tipically expression pedals are linear because you can modify curve inside the device if you need

Ernie ball are not expression pedals they are volume pedals 25k is made for the send return of an amp 250k in front of an amp.

Ernie ball has a log pot inside is not a expression pedal it's volume pedal to connect to effects loop of an amp.

Tipically expression pedals are all linear because you can modify curve inside the device if you need.

From your list above I'm assuming that means the L6 Ex-1 will also work?

Maybe.

It needs someone who owns it, and test it.

I can't.

An expression pedal it's only a potentiometer in a pedal.

It's not my list, i've found it on the web I decline any responsabilty on data accuracy

Ernie ball has a log pot inside is not a expression pedal it's volume pedal to connect to effects loop of an amp.

Tipically expression pedals are all linear because you can modify curve inside the device if you need.

The EB I posted absolutely works as an expression pedal with the Helix. I use it for my wah plugged into EXP 3. There are several versions of the EBVPjr, you just have to make sure you get the 6181 25K model. The other versions will not work.

Following the new update 2.00 so you no longer need to manually reverse the polarity for Roland EV5 type.

Finally Line 6 took into account user demand and thus for example the external expression pedals (EXP2, EXP3). Just reverse the polarity directly in the "Global Settings" then take "Exp Pedals" like this by changing from "normal" to "inverted":

11292610.jpg

536563P20160709192159.jpg

400164P20160709192140.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Following the new update 2.00 so you no longer need to manually reverse the polarity for Roland EV5 type.

Finally Line 6 took into account user demand and thus for example the external expression pedals (EXP2, EXP3). Just reverse the polarity directly in the "Global Settings" then take "Exp Pedals" like this by changing from "normal" to "inverted":

I have 3 EV5 pedals and have tried all three with my new Helix Rack (v2.20.0)

This is strange... I was jumping on here to ask why my pedals only seem to top out at 92 to 96... they wouldn't go to 100. I switched them out... tried all three.. rolled the knob on the pedal etc... but full travel would be 0 on the bottom and somewhere in the 90s on the top... and that top position was shifting constantly too....

But just now, when I turned the unit on, now they work fine.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Russell

Actually, I'm still getting very wonky results from all of my ev-5 pedals

They never quite go to 100 ... and while sitting there untouched, the parameter they're sending to will jump between low 90s and high 90s but never hit, or stay on 100.

Anyone else using EV-5's?

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2017 at 9:28 PM, rpossum said:

Actually, I'm still getting very wonky results from all of my ev-5 pedals

They never quite go to 100 ... and while sitting there untouched, the parameter they're sending to will jump between low 90s and high 90s but never hit, or stay on 100.

Anyone else using EV-5's?

I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to solve it?