Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sustain with Models

I have a JTV 69S.  Question I have is about sustain when using the variax models.

WHen using the magnetic pickups the guitar is really outstanding.  Clear ringing notes, normal sustain compared to other guitars I have (except for my Gretsch Committee, sustain for days on that one).  When I flip to variax models sustain seems to be about half, not a very normal decay of a note.

The setup is the variax direct into a tube amplifier, no processing between aside from the cable.  Magnetics are fine.  Is it time to start looking at the mechanics of the piezo or replace the piezo's? 

• 2 weeks later...

On both my 59 and 89, the mags sustain longer. In fact, my sustain on my 59 (mags) is almost magical. I came to the conclusion that, for me, the best use of my Variax is to use the mags whenever possible, which equated to 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I am using the acoustic models, or an alt tuning, where I end up using the Lester model pickup anyway, as I prefer the sound of humbuckers for almost everything I play.

To the OP, was the lack of sustain the result of getting added compression with the models? That's what I'm finding, is a lot of the models seem to add compression and lower sustain. I haven't tried reflashing, but that may be in my future. As soon as I figure out how to do it, that is.