Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best speakers for HD500 with 4 x 12 cab

Strizay

I'm not going with powered speakers, I have a 4 x 12 cab that is loaded with Celestion Seventy 80's and it doesn't sound good at all.  I have the HD500 running through a Behringer iNuke Nu1000 power amp out to the cab.  I recorded a 60 second clip with Reaper and played it back through my PC that's running through a home theater system out to my 5.1 channel surround speakers.  It sounded so much deeper and better than it did playing it live through my cab.  I would like something like that in my cab.  The Celestions sound weak and crappy compared to the surround sound.

I ran the HD500 directly into my PC's audio out through the speakers and played it live, and it sounded great.  The only problem with that configuration, was the lag was terrible.  Any way, any help with picking out better speakers would be appreciate, thank you.  By the way, I intend on using it for live gigs and I want to use the current set up without changing anything except maybe the speakers.

The 80s are a decent speaker my man loaded with some good midrange. I like GT12s but that is besides the point.

You have to dial in the HD for the system you have for stage. If you dial in a patch with a FRFR speaker it probably will sound like mush through a guitar cab.

thanks for the replies.  The settings are now for power amp and cab emulation is turned off, it still sounds the same as before I made the adjustments.  The surround sound was deeper with more bass, the cab just sounds like it has a lot of treble and no bass.

I just don't understand why there was such a huge difference in tone between the surround speakers and the 4 x 12 cab.  I just traded an Eleven Rack for the HD500 because I couldn't find the right tone through my cab for almost a year.  Now I'm pretty much going through the same thing with it.  I thought the Celestions were made for modelling.  I downloaded presets from Youtube, and my tone always sounds nothing like the videos.  You'd think there wouldn't be that much of a tone difference between studio monitors and a 4 x 12 cab loaded with Celestions.  I know they're no FRFR, but they should still put out a decent tone.

Presets from youtube will never sound the same unless you have the identical rig and even then they may be post processed in a DAW. I can't recall hearing about a stock FRFR guitar cab, keyboard maybe. A powered speaker would probably be closer to the the surround speakers.

It is what it is. Most modelers are not plug and play.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm back at this again.  I've actually started recording again with Reaper and that's what's brought me back.  I still would like to know what kind of speakers would work for a live set up.  When I record, the audio comes out of my 4 x 12 cab and it sounds OK.  When I play back the audio after recording, it comes out of my home theater system and it sounds great, almost professional.  What gets lost when the audio comes out of the cabs and not the home theater system?  Better way to put it, why does it sound better out of my surround sound than it does my actual guitar cab?

That's what I would like to fix, I'd like it to sound as good coming out of my cab as it does the surround sound.  so any help would be appreciated.  I'm picking up a good set of monitors for recording, but that doesn't help me take the tone with me if I want to play out or jam with someone.

I just want something to use for home and for a way.  I can turn the power amp down on the cab so it's room level, and I can also take it out to jam, but it just doesn't sound as good as it does when I play through my stereo system.

Well you will be looking at something like an Alto TS112. Then you go HD -> house pa and stage (your FRFR).

A self powered speaker is an all in one easy to go system. Check out some of the threads for what the fellas use. I've ran an HD through my PA and it does sound great but I am not going to drag that system around with me. :)

An answer is given here

At 5:25 you 'll see the spectrum of a 4*12

I'm using the config you're talking about, plus building preset on FRFR system (ev ZLX12P)

cab vary a lot and some sound great in POD HD in stack output mode with power amp

Marschall 1960a sound good

Marschall DSL .... i don't know , cheap one not too bad but boomy

Brunetti cab harsch

V30 celestion cab no bad but i would say a bit too harsh  .

I agree GT12 seems to mask fizzy midsy harsch stuff on POD HD

I just want something to use for home and for a way. I can turn the power amp down on the cab so it's room level, and I can also take it out to jam, but it just doesn't sound as good as it does when I play through my stereo system.

What you need to understand is that nothing you choose is going to sound exactly like your surround sound set up. Diffrent box, different tone...just the way it is. However, a traditional guitar amp and cabinet vs. FRFR powered monitors (or in your case the surround system) are about as dissimilar as it gets in terms of frequency response. It's also highly unlikely that your surround sound system is true FRFR either, but it'll be closer than a guitar cabinet, almost by default.

Mis matched hell is what you got.

Your power amp running a 4x12 is a mismatch. It isnt a guitar amp it is a power amp!

How would that power amp be used normally? It would go into a cross over!

On the theatre sound the range is there to reproduce,  on a guitar amp speaker cab it is only expecting 

what a guitar amp puts out. That is what it is designed to do and weighted that way. very different cab design too!

Imagine using a guitar amp to drive your theater system?

You asked what speakers to use. You must must use FRFR set of speakers to go with your amp. 

Finally I dont use the usb much so I probably miss duplicated you a bit. When you record a track in reaper you are playing back a track that is modelled captured on track. In other works sounds like an amp. Not a dry uneffected guitar?

When you replay it via usb how does that work? Does the sound go thru more amps or is it monitoring only?  

You will never get to the tone you hear direct from the POD unless you use and FRFR speaker. Guitar speakers have a very round response curve and that's why is doesn't sound good. Don't bother trying to load the cabinet with different speakers either. Just go buy a flat response speaker.

See my post from yesterday about the POD partnered with a QSC K10. I've ab'd it with my Marshall, fender, fishman, strat, McCarty and I can't tell a difference. You'll get so many more tonal choices this way too.

I hope this helps.

Just to add to this a bit after looking at again. I was a little brash with you and if your willing to replace the speakers

you can afford some advice as the prob was also with the 11rack.

Comparing it to your home HiFi which is stereo surround;so the cab would be mono so you loose the width.

That power amp is for PA type speakers usually from a mixer and a rack of gear.

The HD is alot of things but really it is not a mixer in the truest sense. 

I would suggest it needs a buffer and you could try a simple mixer and run the the XLRs into it and then run it to your power amp.

It will act as a soak and is probably why it doesn't sound too good straight into the power amp.

You could borrow one and give it a try.

Possibly using the cab the way you have could easily of overloaded it as I am sure it is not expecting a 1000watts and you might have to replace them. It would be worth getting it tested to save wasting time with it. 

Let's keep this simple:

When you play a CD or MP3 through your 4x12 cab does it sound the same as when you play it through your Surround Sound Stereo ? 

I'm pretty confident the answer is "No".  The PODHD (or ANY modeler) must be EQ'd and tweaked to sound correct based on the type of amp and speaker it's being played through.  I use my PODHD through a tube power amp and 4x12 cab.  Sounds great but I can't use the same patch on a powered FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speaker cab (example: almost any Class D P.A. speaker).

What ? Playing music through a Home Cinema System 5.1 ? 

You are kidding right ? 

Home cinema system is design to cooperate with 5.1 speaker configuration technology used in video making and movie making to give the watcher more like Cinema effect of wide stereo and surround effect . Hence the name -HOME CINEMA SYSTEM .

No matter what you do any music played through Home cinema will sound like lollipop .

Your answer is - 

Active (or passive with extra amp ) near field monitors-speakers for the beast REAL experience to hear the CD in the way they have mixed it in the studio.  :) 

Hope this helps .

RESPECT !