Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching amps with a foot switch... and getting a nasty noise.

barks62

Last night I decided to try using the SLO distortion model as my main rhythm tone for live playing.  Previously I used the SLO clean for clean tones and a Line 6 Distortion pedal for the heavy tone.  I loved the sound by itself but it wasn't mixing well with the band, so I'm going back to the drawing board.

Here is the current setup I'm trying:  Clean tone is a Fender Tweed, chorus and a compressor.  The heavy tone is a noise gate and the SLO distortion.  I turn the Fender, chorus and compressor OFF, and turn the noise gate and SLO ON by hitting FS4.

It works well for the most part, but if there are any notes ringing out when I hit FS4, there is a split second of some crazy noise as everything switches.  Is that normal because I'm turning amps on and off, or because I'm changing so many things at the same time?  Is there a better way to do this?

I thought about using the foot pedal to change the volumes of the amps and using that for switching, but that brings in some other issues.  First, I use the pedal for the wah.  Second, that wouldn't turn off the compressor and chorus, it would only change the levels of the amps.  Third, I sometimes use a pitch glide effect and also use the pedal to control that.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. 

i think it's a limitation of the device itself. i did a similar setup before - amp switching between clean and distorted sound. switching between those 2 amps will have some sort of split second noise (or whatever you want to call it) or unwanted sound.