Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"The effects after the POD HD's amp model are also after the cab and mic models"

Indianrock2020

And if your "real" amp has an FX loop, someof your FX would/should be in there.

And if you were recording in a studio, with a mic sitting in front of an amp and cab, all the FX get applied to an otherwise raw track. Unless you want to record FX that you're then stuck with...which is generally ill-advised.

Wherever the FX are in the signal flow in relation to the amp/cab sims, it doesn't really make much difference either way...you can't change it. It is what it is.

hmm  ok   I usually only put delay and reverb after the amp.  Not sure I understand the implications of this in a live-only situation.  It makes sense in a recording studio I guess if you apply delay/reverb etc after recording everything else first.  

Now that I think back to my old-school pedalboard days, ALL of the effects were before the amp/cab since I never had an amp with an effects loop.  If I was following that pattern I'd be putting all effects ahead of the amp/cab models.

Most of my patches are now dual/amp, dual/cab something like:

Noise Gate>compressor>Drive>parametric EQ> amps> mixer> delays>reverb

Never really thought about it so that is good brain food. Regarding what Cruisin said about studio layouts, the tag "Studio Direct" seems more apropos then I considered,

I must admit perhaps its time for me to revisit what mode I use and if another might being applied more effectively for my ears. Studio Direct vs Power Amp etc.... That HD........ :)

I must admit perhaps its time for me to revisit what mode I use and if another might being applied more effectively for my ears. Studio Direct vs Power Amp etc.... That HD........ :)

I've never been able to get anything decent with the other output modes. The high end was always way too harsh for me.

I set it up just like you would in the standard studio scenario. Guitar in to whatever gain situation ( if you don't use compression or distortion boxes before you hit the amp, disregard this and plug straight to the amp.) Mic the amp with your choice of microphone. That mic then hits the channel on the recording console and all other FX are used in the buss. This allows you to actually record the dry amp to a track and later after the recording you can play with as many FX or FX mixes as you like while keeping the original guitar track.

In the HD500 this would translate to guitar in to POD, first effect is compressor or distortion or both, amp with mic, and all other FX after the amp. Unless you are a diehard vintage track guy and put all FX first and the amp dead last in the chain. The problem is you lose the ability to keep that raw guitar into amp track. In other words, you will be recording a lot of takes if you print all the FX to the track.

For a regular power amp/cab I understand the theory of the "amp modes (not Studio Direct)" letting the dynamics of the physical speakers/cab handle the job. Its probably a matter of me not cranking everything high enough to let the "air move" while editing.

Tis food for thought.

I generally consider the HD a recording cvhain and put the time based FX usually after the amp in stereo before the Mixer block with one each side or after the mixer which is akin to applying FX on a desk channel and Studio Direct.

I wonder if the other settings shift where in the chain as I always thought the other settings just removed the cab mic from the chain.

Certainly food for thought