Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt 50 112 problem

TankFist

Hi, yesterday I turned on my amp and as I turned off the stand by mode and strum a bit the amp died, or better said, went into a coma. All the lights work and so do the tubes (I even changed the EH 34 because one looked a bit used..). When it stopped working I smelled a bit of something like it burned somewhere or something like the temperature went up somewhere. I also noticed that when I turn it off without putting it in stand by mode first it doesn't make that sound like when you suddenly unplugg the guitar cable from the amp.

Please help.

Tnx for the picture, I changed the fuse because it was burned but I still have no results.

Edit:

Ok, after changing the fuse I put back the old tubes and the amp works again, it seems the one tube I tought was burned was still ok (maybe a changed is stll a valid option but I can wait since I only play at home...), still I don't understand why the new tubes are not working, I bought JJs 34...

1) Do not use JJ, Mesa or Groove Tube. They may be fine tubes, but not

in this particular amp. I've had nothing but trouble with those tubes, in this amp.

This design is not forgiving when it comes to tubes other than what is specified

for the amp. Use the specified Electro-Harmonix EL34.

2) Don't mess with internal fuses.

3) The fuse eluded to in the previous post is a very specific fuse,

and should be changed out by a factory authorized service center

that knows the product. You can't use just any fuse for that particular one.

4) This is not a panel fuse for users to be dealing with because a) of the shock hazard,

and b) because using the wrong fuse will damage the circuits.

5) If you changed the fuse out with the exact number you had in there, it may not have

been the correct one.

6) Be certain your amp is registered and then log a support ticket in your account.

7) Shock hazard, stay out of the inside of the amp. I've serviced hundreds of tube

(valve) amps (including the Line 6 ones).

8) I know which capacitor failed, putting another of the same fuse won't help.

Tnx, reading your text it seems to me that I can as well throw it in the garbage right now :-)

I will contact the shop where i bought it and I hope they can help me fix it. The problem is that in my country Line6 doesn't have quite a reputation and reading your post makes it very clear why... prices of the DT amps dropped very much from the time I bought it and you can't find cheaper DT amps in the whole EU when compared to my place.

Thanks once again :-)

• 2 years later...

Here I go again :-).

The previous issue has been solved by an electrical engineer (don't ask about it 'cause I'm totally not in this stuff :-), only know one lamp has been changed + other replacement work). However it cost me around 70 euros to fix and the guy said that these amps (he repairs a lot of them) are not well built, in fact he said that I can expect other similar problems mostly because of the not-so-well heat dispersion, he just said: "hmmmm, I don't know" (like see you again :-(...)

Well after using it for some time, today I plug my guitar in and power up the amp and there is no sound, I put it in heavy metal mode (IV) and only if I turn the 2 volume knobs all the way up you can hear a very tiny sound, in fact you can hear what you play but only like you'd hear it on some headphones put on a desk in front of you :-). Anyone?

P.S. I tried different cables and checke the tube protection fuse...

Do not use JJ's, use the specified tubes. These are not all analog tube amps like we used to use in the 1960's and 70's.

These amps are unforgiving of modifications, even something that seems minor like tube brands. The gas to vacuum ratio

alone, is enough to insert minor deviations in the characteristic curves of the tube specs enough to make a difference in

performance of the amp.

The analog section and digital section need to talk to one another nicely. Using something other than the specified tubess

changes that. And they need to be properly biased.