Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Firehawk do these things?

pvnisher

I've been reading reviews but can't quite tell if the Firehawk can do the specific things I want it to do. The requirements are pretty basic, I just want to be sure. Can it do these things? If it can do the things below, what are the limits on each one?

1) Can I assign any single effect to any footswitch (like stompboxes). Examples would be a crunch on FS1, a distortion on FS2, a modulation on FS3, another distortion on FS4, delay on FS5.

2) Can I stack effects on those footswitches Examples would be crunch,delay, and EQ on FS1, distortion, delay, reverb, flanger on FS2, etc.

3) Can I stack effects with different amp models on any switch? Example are: same as above, but with a different amp model for each effect.

4) Can I switch effects while using looper? Example is lay down a clean section, then overdub a crunch section, then overdub a chorus/distortion section, etc. 

5) Is there any delay whatsoever in switching effects/banks or anything? Is the sound output seamless?

Thanks!

I've been reading reviews but can't quite tell if the Firehawk can do the specific things I want it to do. The requirements are pretty basic, I just want to be sure. Can it do these things? If it can do the things below, what are the limits on each one?

1) Can I assign any single effect to any footswitch (like stompboxes). Examples would be a crunch on FS1, a distortion on FS2, a modulation on FS3, another distortion on FS4, delay on FS5.

Yes.  Each of the movable FX blocks, the FX loop, the reverb block, and the looper block can be freely assigned to FS1-FS5

2) Can I stack effects on those footswitches Examples would be crunch,delay, and EQ on FS1, distortion, delay, reverb, flanger on FS2, etc.

No. it is one effect per FS.

3) Can I stack effects with different amp models on any switch? Example are: same as above, but with a different amp model for each effect.

No.  Firehawk only supports one amp model per patch.  Changing an amp model would require manually selecting a new one in the app editor, or simply changing presets.

4) Can I switch effects while using looper? Example is lay down a clean section, then overdub a crunch section, then overdub a chorus/distortion section, etc. 

Yes.  Once the Looper is assigned to footswitch, that switch does all of the looping commands (1 press to rec, 1 press to end rec, 2 presses to stop loop etc).  The other footswitches retain their effect controls.

5) Is there any delay whatsoever in switching effects/banks or anything? Is the sound output seamless?

There is no delay when turning FX on/off in a preset.

BUT There is an audio delay when switching presets.  It was made to be much faster via an update, but it is still there.  There is not audio spillover from preset to preset, so the audio gap is noticeable if you absolutely have to change presets in the middle of a song.  

Thanks!

Hopefully that helps a little.

1) Yes.

2) I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure. I believe each FS can only be assigned to a single FX.

3) No. You need to use different presets for different amps.

4) Yes, although it's difficult to do this 'live' and keep the tempo. It's great for practice.

5) Yes to the first question; no to the second. There is a small lag/gap in the sound. It is not an issue in most cases but depending on your musical/playing style it can be noticeable.

Thanks for the replies. Just to be sure I understand, let me see if this makes sense. Keep in mind my current multieffect pedal is a Dod Tec4 that's at least 20 years old, so I'm a bit behind the times... 

I press "A". I now have footswitches 1-5 to use as single stompboxes/effects, played through a single amp and in a particular order. As I switch between FS1, FS2, FS3, etc, there is no lag or gap. Correct?

I press "B". I now have five different stomps, and a different amp and layout. However, when I switched from A to B, there was a small gap in the playback.

C, D, are the same as above.

The I press the up arrow to change the bank, and now my A, B, C, D are 4 new selections. 

Basically, there's no delay between FS1 and FS2, but there is a delay between A and B. Is that right? 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but it's sort of part of pvnishers Q&A so rather thatn staring a new let me just ask:

How many times can you "overdub" in the loop? 

And is it right that the loop lasts for 20 sec? ( I think I've read it here somewhere)

Cheers

/z