Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to remove variax acoustic bridge block

Nyjdams

Hi all - hopefully someone out there has the answer to this question ..... I need to remove the bridge block from my variax acoustic 900 (yes it's a 900, an upscale version of the 700) and I'm told that it's held down by 'pins' but I don't know exactly what is meant by 'pins'.

It could mean wooden dowels, or it could be screws, but I don't know.

I've loosened the glue, does anyone out there know if I can prise the bridge block up? Or is there something I need to do to get at the pins?

Hi all - hopefully someone out there has the answer to this question ..... I need to remove the bridge block from my variax acoustic 900 (yes it's a 900, an upscale version of the 700) and I'm told that it's held down by 'pins' but I don't know exactly what is meant by 'pins'.

It could mean wooden dowels, or it could be screws, but I don't know.

I've loosened the glue, does anyone out there know if I can prise the bridge block up? Or is there something I need to do to get at the pins?

I'm guessing that only a privileged few have seen inside one of these, by the deafening silence here...

Tried googling it? You would think someone with the knowledge would be lurking here, but the acoustics were release a fair while ago now...

You need a proctologist-friend to come around one day when the requisite camera is available. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found out, the hard way, by having a luthier prise the block up - it was held down by screws, pathetic little thin screws .... this is due to a 'production mix up' which means that they applied the lacquer using a mask that was too small, so there was lacquer under where the bridge block would go, so they couldn't glue wood to lacquer, so they screwed it down.   I've subsequently removed the excess varnish and glued the bridge down properly, and now this wonderfully well-made guitar is no longer contaminated with screws.    

So, on the extremely, utterly remote off-chance that anyone else wants to know, here's the scoop :)

• 2 months later...