Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Split and Merge Blocks

RobEller

Hello, I am in need of help. I am a new Helix owner. I need to be able to merge path B (mic) after effects up to path A (guitar) just before the looper. I have been deeply covering the online manual for this (page 17) and it says how to MOVE a split or merge block, but not how to Create one... Once I learn how to do this, I also want to find out if I can change this with a snapshot so, I can choose when I'm looping to record guitar and vocals or just guitar. Any suggestions?

~Rob

Select any processing block, press ACTION, and then move the joystick down. It'll move that block to Path B; a Split block is created directly before it and a Merge block is added to the end. Select the Merge block, press ACTION, and move the joystick left to move it before the Looper block.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, I have been trying exactly that ... selecting a block and using the joystick to move it down. It does all you say it does except I can not move the Merge down more than one level, essentially off the guitar path and on to the mic path. I have not found a way to bring my mic path up to the guitar path.

I need two paths, one for guitar and one for vocal, each processed separately and then merged into one (as it says I can on pg17) just before the looper, so I can loop them together.

Helix Manual Pg 17...

"2 into 1 Move the Split block down to path B. The Split block shifts left and a duplicate Input block is created: This new Input block can be assigned to a completely different input. This routing can be used for mixing a guitar and vocal, or the models and magnetic pickups in a connected Variax guitar, each with their own processing blocks

Thank you, I have been trying exactly that ... selecting a block and using the joystick to move it down. It does all you say it does except I can not move the Merge down more than one level, essentially off the guitar path and on to the mic path. I have not found a way to bring my mic path up to the guitar path.

I need two paths, one for guitar and one for vocal, each processed separately and then merged into one (as it says I can on pg17) just before the looper, so I can loop them together.

Helix Manual Pg 17...

"2 into 1 Move the Split block down to path B. The Split block shifts left and a duplicate Input block is created: This new Input block can be assigned to a completely different input. This routing can be used for mixing a guitar and vocal, or the models and magnetic pickups in a connected Variax guitar, each with their own processing blocks

The section you are looking at in the manual "2 Into 1" is exactly what you want with the Input block on Path B set to "Mic".

From your description it almost sounds like you have your guitar and mic on separate routes rather than separate paths. You should not need to move your Merge block down "more than one level". In fact you should not have to move the Merge block down any levels.

These instructions assume your guitar path/input is on top and your mic path/input is on the bottom and you have created them within one Route. You do not need to move the Merge block off the top (guitar) path to the mic path. Leave the Merge block on the top path. It will combine the signal from your mic path and your guitar path automatically. Just use the Action button to move the Merge block to where you want it positioned on the top path just before the looper.

Note: There is also a more complicated setup if you find you need more DSP for your guitar you can use the Super Serial routing strategy to run your guitar on Route 1 and also Route 2 and use Path B on Route 2 for your microphone using the same directions above to route it to a looper at the end of Path A on Route 2. I would recommend keeping it simple at first though and getting it working just using Route 1 to gain a better understanding of how the split and merge blocks work before you try a more complex Super Serial routing strategy.

Is the idea to run your mic input and signal chain completely separately from your guitar input and signal chain, but then have both signals hit the looper block after they go through their processing?

You can get really deep with routing by physically patching yourself in and out with the Send & Returns.

Try adding a Send block at the end of your vocal mic signal chain.  Then add the corresponding Return block just before the looper and after your guitar's signal chain.  You'll need a short 1/4" cable to patch Send 1 into Return 1 (or whatever FX loop number you settle on).

Note: the vocal path will still go to its output as well as to the return block you created.  So you could end up doubling how much of your voice your hearing.  So just be mindful of the dry through level on the Send block and the assigned outputs on each path to get whatever it is your going for. 

• Upvote 1

I recently really started getting into the routing and loop abilities of the Helix, marvelous features and a million options not sure Fractal or Kemper offer all the loops and routing blocks. I do not need channel switching but that is in there as well.

You can also change the split and merge blocks to different types once you create them. I just came to the notion that I missed where you do not have to have just one start single feed from the guitar and then split it but two different path lines from the same one guitar input feed on the unit. I had been splitting the signal creating two paths and you do not need to do this. 

• 4 months later...

I hope this post is on topic.

I'm trying to replicate my actual setup: mono pedal chain feeding a stereo reverb that then splits to two amps. I can do this on the Helix with a parallel path and the merge mixer at the end lets me pan the amps but I'm not hearing them panned – I'm outputting stereo and getting the stereo verb but not the panned amps. Perhaps I'm being silly.

I ran into a similar issue that is probably working as designed, but is counter-intuitive to me.  I wanted to split an amp to two cabs, left and right.  And I wanted to add an effect to only one side.  So I split the path after the amp put a cab on the straight through, put an effect and a cab on the other path, and panned the two paths left and right in the merge mixer when I brought the paths back together on Path A.

Sadly for me, the effect still affected both paths even though it was placed after the split.  Now, this may actually be what happens electrically in the real world.  But, intuitively, to me, the signal flows like water, and doesn't go back on itself back up the split.  I did figure out a way to get it to work by utilizing one Cab on Path A and the other cab and effect on Path B.  I'm not at my helix right now, but I think I sent Path A1 to left, and path A2 to Path 1B and put the other cab and effect on Path 1B and that out to right.  Something like that.  But that's an awful waste of resources to me.

Anyway, maybe this is your issue?

One thing is that prior to the 2.10 update, the Split block didn't have the panning options. It would split the stereo signal into two stereo signals. So I'm not sure if that's playing into some of the confusion or not. It's hard for me to completely going on in the presets you're talking about without actually seeing a screenshot of it.

I'm pretty sure I'm at 2.10.  I don't think there is a panning option there on the split block, only on the Merge Mixer block bringing it back together.

It's definitely there... The one thing is you have to have it set to the Split Y option. Once there, you'll see "Balance A" over Knob 1 and "Balance B" over Knob 2.

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:29 AM, joelsprayberry said:

Rob, did you ever find the solution?  would you be willing to share the .hlx?  

Hi,

I think it may be highly unlikely you will get a response from the OP (Rob) as that post is almost 6 years old and the last reply was in March 2017. 

Ideally, to prompt a reply the best thing to do is "Quote" the post you need an answer too.

Anyhow, as for your request for a .hlx  - try this (use it or lose it) 

GTR+Mic+Looper.hlx

Path 1A handles guitar, Path 1B is the Mic channel, both paths merge at path 2A+B and then out to stereo.

All the blocks in the preset are simply placeholders for whatever you want to use, especially the volume blocks at the start of the signal chain as they allowed me to split the original path in to two.

Hope this helps?makes sense.

Note: there should be a whole bunch of TEMPLATE presets in your Helix in Setlist 8. They cover lots of options.