Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are two phasers better than one?

Paolo_Maina

I don't like Helix Leslies for a couple of reason that i've already told in other posts.

I've seen this video and that's the idea:

Can two phasers (not in speed sync) in paralllel and in stereo emulate only the sound modulation of a leslie without the issue of cab swapping or any modification of amp tone?

In a point of the video the sound it's very  Lesliesque. 2:54 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRUoWwrjHas

I have to try it.

I think it's great idea!

If anybody wants to collaborate to refine this rough idea is welcome.

P.S.

Maybe a touch of tremolo pan could be added...or vibrato

Have to try that one. I never can get a rotating speaker I like or can use. I had one of the dual MXR it's alright but that thing changes the tone out of its output when off, suppose its a buffer thing but changed my signal quality when it was not on. Two phasers was novel and you could do some cool things did more of a cooler vibe thing for me but I never was into really fast phasers. Did sound pretty wicked in stereo. I want that Leslie sound Pagey used to get on recordings, musically amazing. Never had much luck with Rotary effect thing. Have heard Jeff Beck a really great Leslie with that RotoSim. Maybe the newer Leslie effect pedals might be a good add on for the loop. 

I use the Leslie/fender vibe a lot to create gilmour tones. I always run it into a parallel path after the amp with A going into the speaker cab and B into the rotary set for a 50/50 mix. I then merge them ready for reverb! A phaser added before the amp set low can work well too for a more modulated sound. Also a eq before the Leslie as they can sound a bit boxy (as they do in real life)

Would love to see them add a modeled Mutron Bi-Phase pedal. A great and unique phaser pedal. Essentially like two phasers in one. You can vote for it here http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Please-add-ta-model-of-the-Mutron-Bi-Phase-pedal/840629-23508

You too

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Mutron-Phasor-II-in-Helix/833318-23508

I love the Mutron II phaser pedal as well and voted for it but it is not the same as the Mutron Bi-Phase although it is a scaled down version with some of the same features and would also be an awesome addition to the Helix. My apologies if you already knew that. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/Mutron.gif/220px-Mutron.gif

I use the Leslie/fender vibe a lot to create gilmour tones. I always run it into a parallel path after the amp with A going into the speaker cab and B into the rotary set for a 50/50 mix. I then merge them ready for reverb! A phaser added before the amp set low can work well too for a more modulated sound. Also a eq before the Leslie as they can sound a bit boxy (as they do in real life)

Very cool idea, can't wait to try it out. I am after that tone stuff Pagey used to do with the Leslie so musical and great sounding. I have not gotten anything I like so far. SO the amp into Leslie works out after the merging with the cab IR? As a amp without an IR sounds pretty brutal. What about the vibe which is really good in the Helix, Gimour's best tones like Breath were w a Vibe. 

I do have this thing for the Harmonic Tremolo which is pretty cool.

Now as for modeling even more older effects, can we please for the love of your god, stop using the most advanced technology to recreate old technology? Why not just a better phaser with more tweakable options? I like the Deluxe with variable phase stages, pretty nice, a multiple or dual phaser would be great but need options, mix. panning, cross over, the more the better. I had a lot of these old pedals and really why the need to time machine everything to what used to be? Are we just not capable of creating anything new?? I guess that is why we come out with a new phone every few months. 

How about a newer Moog phaser instead of a 1970s pedal that really was not all that great to begin with. 

• 3 months later...

Very cool idea, can't wait to try it out. I am after that tone stuff Pagey used to do with the Leslie so musical and great sounding. I have not gotten anything I like so far. SO the amp into Leslie works out after the merging with the cab IR? As a amp without an IR sounds pretty brutal. What about the vibe which is really good in the Helix, Gimour's best tones like Breath were w a Vibe. 

I do have this thing for the Harmonic Tremolo which is pretty cool.

Now as for modeling even more older effects, can we please for the love of your god, stop using the most advanced technology to recreate old technology? Why not just a better phaser with more tweakable options? I like the Deluxe with variable phase stages, pretty nice, a multiple or dual phaser would be great but need options, mix. panning, cross over, the more the better. I had a lot of these old pedals and really why the need to time machine everything to what used to be? Are we just not capable of creating anything new?? I guess that is why we come out with a new phone every few months. 

How about a newer Moog phaser instead of a 1970s pedal that really was not all that great to begin with. 

I`d love to have a modern sounding phaser with multiple stages, depth and resonance knobs like the Boss PH 2 or a classic sounding phaser like the Bad Stone from Electro Harmonix inside the Helix... The Script Mod Phaser is just too subtle for me... and the Deluxe Phaser is definitely not up to the challenge nor is it comparable to the overall quality of the Helix` modulation effects. I always end up hooking up my Boss PH-3 in the fx loop in order to get those wacky psychedelic tones ready to funk-up the entire world... hahaha. I do not complain about the flangers or the choruses, they sound pretty decent and I was able to the tones I was looking for, for example the intro of Metallica`s  "Welcome Home" or some early Van Halen`s with the flangers. I`m down with the Moog phaser as well... Only two phasers is just not enough, specially when considering Helix DSP capabilities.

P.s: I`d like to have the Boss Dimension C as well... hehehe.

• Upvote 1