Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using VDI and 1/4" out at the same time...

gstew

I've decided I need to try and use my Variax VDI option hookup to my HD500x and DT50 amp for gigging. Only problem is I use a vocal harmonizer that needs a clean signal from my guitar by way of a 1/4" mono plug. So, the only way I can think to accomplish this is to use both Variax guitar outputs. Do both outputs work simultaneously?

I've decided I need to try and use my Variax VDI option hookup to my HD500x and DT50 amp for gigging. Only problem is I use a vocal harmonizer that needs a clean signal from my guitar by way of a 1/4" mono plug. So, the only way I can think to accomplish this is to use both Variax guitar outputs. Do both outputs work simultaneously?

The powers that be have repeatedly warned against doing that, claiming that circuits get overloaded somewhere, and you'll eventually destroy it...an explanation as to why this is the case is yet to be forthcoming, but it's apparently a no-no, nonetheless. Proceed at your own risk...

• Upvote 1

Ah, OK then. Yeah, don't want to fry anything. Might be able to use the loop in the HD500x .....but really need an unaffected guitar signal to send to the vocal harmonizer so it tracks chord changes and such. Hmmm....

Question: Can you put the effects send of the HD500x anywhere in the chain? I haven't used the effects send and returns in this unit before.

Ah, OK then. Yeah, don't want to fry anything. Might be able to use the loop in the HD500x .....but really need an unaffected guitar signal to send to the vocal harmonizer so it tracks chord changes and such. Hmmm....

Question: Can you put the effects send of the HD500x anywhere in the chain? I haven't used the effects send and returns in this unit before.

Of course, put it first in the chain.

And for what it's worth, before I was aware of the unofficial Line 6 stance regarding the "impending doom" awaiting anyone who dared to connect both outputs on the Variax, I did exactly as you want to do, (connected from the 1/4" jack out to a Voice Live), while also connecting to the HD500 via VDI, for approximately a 12 month period, until the Voice Live's switches began to act up, and I just ditched it.

The Variax has had  issues intermittently, nothing that I haven't been able to rectify. No PCB's have been harmed in the process thus far. :rolleyes:

Of course, put it first in the chain.

And for what it's worth, before I was aware of the unofficial Line 6 stance regarding the "impending doom" awaiting anyone who dared to connect both outputs on the Variax, I did exactly as you want to do, (connected from the 1/4" jack out to a Voice Live), while also connecting to the HD500 via VDI, for approximately a 12 month period, until the Voice Live's switches began to act up, and I just ditched it.

The Variax has had  issues intermittently, nothing that I haven't been able to rectify. No PCB's have been harmed in the process thus far. :rolleyes:

Excellent then!  I'll get to work on figuring out how to move around the effects loop placement in the chain and I just use the send for my Digitech vocalist live pro. Thanks for everyone's input on this thread....mucho appreciated!  Also need to buy a good quality VDI cable; the line 6 one looks a little light duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to confirm for the end of this thread that the effects send worked perfectly for a plain guitar signal feed to my digitech vocalist live pro. And I purchased the LIne 6 brand VDI cable which turned out to be a very good quality cable, unlike the picture of one I saw somewhere. Thanks again all.