Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Creating artist tones

CBTL

So when creating artist/song tones do you try and stick to the modelled versions of the gear they you use or will you use whatever you need to use to get as close to the tone as you can? I'm a huge pink floyd fan and am trying to solely use gilmours kit or the next closest thing. Am I making life hard for myself?

Definitely use whatever it takes.  If you stick strictly to the artists analog equivalent, you are definitely "making life hard for yourself".  I've a/b'ed certain amps on the Helix with the real thing and had to go to a completely different Helix amp to achieve a similar sound to the original.  I'm a huge Gilmour fan and have an on and off again relationship with the Helix's HiWatt amp model.  I seem to find other Helix amp models either provide a better clean pedal platform or eliminate the need for a pedal altogether with a tweak and a snapshot.  The Electric Mistress is terrible and I have to use a combination of a flanger/rotary/phaser to achieve a decent Gilmour Mistress.  Definitely a DSP eater but WOW!  Don't get me wrong - I think the Helix is awesome.  I'm just of the belief that factory presets/amp models/effects are only starting points in order to help you learn what the machine is capable of.  And it's all relative.  What one person is doing will not work for another because of differences in gear and playing purpose (live play vs. bedroom etc.).

... I'm a huge Gilmour fan and have an on and off again relationship with the Helix's HiWatt amp model. I seem to find other Helix amp models either provide a better clean pedal platform or eliminate the need for a pedal altogether with a tweak and a snapshot. ....

What are your favorite clean amps/cabs on the Helix?

So when creating artist/song tones do you try and stick to the modelled versions of the gear they you use or will you use whatever you need to use to get as close to the tone as you can? I'm a huge pink floyd fan and am trying to solely use gilmours kit or the next closest thing. Am I making life hard for myself?

Most likely, yes...

Modelers don't necessarily play by "real world" rules. Just because Biff Rockstar used this amp, that guitar, and those strings, doesn't mean that you couldn't achieve a really good emulation of the tone using something else. If the first thing(s) you try don't work, experiment with something else. It's the end product that matters...who the hell cares how you get there?