Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Control looper and effects at the same time

metalkrapo

Hi all!

So I finally ordered a Helix. As I have a show planned very soon, I figured I wouldn't wait until I get it, and ask you right now instead.

On a song I would like to record something on the looper, and play it back with additionnal effects. Is there a way to affect one or several effects to the "Play" switch as well as its primary function?

Thanks!

You accomplish this by placing the looper at the front of the signal chain. The looper then records the dry incoming signal and on playback feeds the signal into the chain at the same point. During playback you exit Looper mode. All your processing blocks as well as their switch assignments are then used normally to affect the signal. There is no need to make additional assignments to the Play switch.

• Upvote 1

Good. I find the setup with looper in front to be very useful for hands-free tone tweaking. You record a phrase, put the guitar down, start playback and start tweaking. You can concentrate fully on the subtleties of the tone adjustments and hear the immediate impact.

I tried it and it's not producing the effect I was hoping for, I must have done it wrong or explained poorly what I'm trying to achieve.

I would like to go into looper mode, record something with no effects, and as soon as I stop recording, which launches the playback, there should be additional effects.

When I tried what you wrote the effects are heard when I record too, which is what I want to avoid.

If I understand, you want to hear the dry tone and not the FX while recording. The setup I described does record the dry tone, but you hear the final output including FX. You're correct that you do not hear the dry tone either while recording or on playback.

You could use Snapshots to do what you want. Still place the looper at the front of the chain but create a snapshot that has all amps and FX turned off. Create other snapshots that have your preferred different combinations of amps and FX turned on. After recording the dry tone (and hearing it while recording) playback of the dry tone will start immediately. Switch to a different snapshot to then hear the FX being applied.

Thurston9: I play videogames and cartoons music covers. I have an upcoming show where I'm going to play a theme from Life is Strange, a game in which the main character can "rewind" time. Two cosplayers dressed as her and her best friend are going to perform while I play. At one point I will miss a chord transition and fail miserably, look at the audience in shame and ask the her for help. She will rewind time, which is where the I will launch the reverse playback of the looper (with effects like echo etc for the weird time manipulation feel) and mimic the movements I just did in reverse, while the Pod replays my voice and guitar in reverse too. Then I pick the song back where I was before screwing up, as if nothing ever happened.

Thurston9: I play videogames and cartoons music covers. I have an upcoming show where I'm going to play a theme from Life is Strange, a game in which the main character can "rewind" time. Two cosplayers dressed as her and her best friend are going to perform while I play. At one point I will miss a chord transition and fail miserably, look at the audience in shame and ask the her for help. She will rewind time, which is where the I will launch the reverse playback of the looper (with effects like echo etc for the weird time manipulation feel) and mimic the movements I just did in reverse, while the Pod replays my voice and guitar in reverse too. Then I pick the song back where I was before screwing up, as if nothing ever happened.

Can you "pre-record" the backwards part? Assuming you know - loosely - what you are going to play before you have your "mistake" ... why not just record something that sounds something like it ahead of time... and then just use the Play Once feature to play it backwards. Just a thought.