Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Horrible, constant dropout issues

lefttygtr

Really wanted to like this design and it simple use but both myself and the other guitar player in our band are returning them. We both ran into numerous dropout issues during practice twice. I was also having issues at home but thought maybe it was die to the close proximity of my wifi router but after moving in to several different locations the problem would not go away. To then have it happen at practice was the final straw. I really can't see how Line6 did not see this issue during testing, bit of a bummer.

Did you guys place the transmitter into the receiver base prior to using the units? This resets the transmitter so it can find the best open channel. I've been using my G10 for several months now, and I've only ever had one very brief dropout, and it was because I didn't do this procedure.

• Upvote 1

It is particularly important to follow the recommended channel selection procedure for the G10 -- each and every time -- the unit is used! Even more so when multiple G10 units are to be used in an otherwise active Radio Frequency (RF) environment with other devices operating in the same frequency bands (WiFi, WAPs, Routers, Microwaves, Bluetooth, Laptops, etc.) and in relatively close proximity.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same type of dropout problems. It plays reliably for a while and then suddenly the LED turns red and the sound cuts off. Is it likely that this unit is defective? I can't use it outside of practice sessions until I know it works reliably.

I'm having the same type of dropout problems. It plays reliably for a while and then suddenly the LED turns red and the sound cuts off. Is it likely that this unit is defective? I can't use it outside of practice sessions until I know it works reliably.

I know I sound like a broken record, but are you re-seating the transmitter in the receiver for 10 seconds before you start playing? This is what makes the receiver scan for the best available channel and sets both the transmitter and receiver to that channel. If you're not doing this, you run a higher risk of having interference. That's not to say that you can't have interference after you've done that - things like being close to a wifi router can cause interference.

When it cuts out, does it come back on its own? If it's cutting out and not coming back, that could be an issue with the micro-switch not being fully depressed. Some jacks don't have as much tension holding the jack in, so it's possible that the transmitter is turning off.

The transmitter is docked with the receiver until I'm ready to use it. Are you saying I should remove the transmitter from the receiver, then plug it back in for 10 seconds and then put it in my bass?

I'm not sure if it comes back on it's own (without my twiddling with it). But, I'll find out the next time I use it.

If you confirm that the transmitter is fully seated in the charger base such that the transmitter is being charged -- the transmitter's Green LED will blink -- and then turn steady green when fully charged, that portion of the scenario is normal.

When you insert the Transmitter into your guitar, also confirm that it remains full seated in the jack such that the small microswitch at the collar (base) of the 1/4 plug remains fully depressed by the jack of your guitar. If this is also okay, and the transmitter still suddenly changes to a Red LED, this would likely indicate a battery problem with the G10 Transmitter.

Open a Support Ticket with Line 6 and they'll promptly get you one of the new units.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I am also experiencing brief intermittent dropouts. The white LED on the receiver goes out briefly then comes back on and reconnects to the transmitter. I noticed this since I did the last firmware update. Thinking of rolling back and seeing if the problem continues. The unit has become very unreliable. 

• Like 1

I am also experiencing brief intermittent dropouts. The white LED on the receiver goes out briefly then comes back on and reconnects to the transmitter. I noticed this since I did the last firmware update. Thinking of rolling back and seeing if the problem continues. The unit has become very unreliable. 

Have you docked the transmitter in the receiver for 10 seconds so it can find the best channel. Usually dropouts are caused by interference of some sort, so it could just be that it needs to find a better channel.

Have you docked the transmitter in the receiver for 10 seconds so it can find the best channel. Usually dropouts are caused by interference of some sort, so it could just be that it needs to find a better channel.

Yes. I've redocked the transmitter but still get the dropouts. The light on the transmitter says on constant green even though the receiver light blinks out. 

• 1 month later...

The singer and I both got these units to use for our shows.  We both had issues with dropouts...and for the Line 6 Expert...yes...we docked them for 10-20 seconds to reset channels.  I am trying to get the Line 6 Updater to update this G10 unit, but it says I don't have the proper drivers to do that.  So...if there isn't any drivers to download, how does that work?  I will give this unit a go another time or two for practice, but I can say as of now, I'm really disappointed.  I'm annoyed at the fact that there is a hint of any reason to have to download firmware for a wireless device.  This should be hook up and go.  There is always potential for outside interference, but damn.

The singer and I both got these units to use for our shows.  We both had issues with dropouts...and for the Line 6 Expert...yes...we docked them for 10-20 seconds to reset channels.  I am trying to get the Line 6 Updater to update this G10 unit, but it says I don't have the proper drivers to do that.  So...if there isn't any drivers to download, how does that work?  I will give this unit a go another time or two for practice, but I can say as of now, I'm really disappointed.  I'm annoyed at the fact that there is a hint of any reason to have to download firmware for a wireless device.  This should be hook up and go.  There is always potential for outside interference, but damn.

There are no drivers. Line 6 Updater should just recognize the G10. Are you using the latest version of Line 6 Updater?

Make sure you are not plugging the cable into a USB 3 port. I don't think it will recognize the device. Once you have your firmware updated on the receiver and transmitter, make sure all other wireless devices are on and running when you dock them. If you dock them first to self assign channels, you may fire another device up after that may interfere. 

How is your singer utilizing the G10?

Same here, lots of micro-dropouts. Really sucks because I was starting to get to like this thing even though the USB connector comes unplugged from the unit if you just...touch...it. (so I have it duct taped in, but that's another thread). Anyhow, just ordered a competitors unit to be on the safe side for some upcoming shows. 

I appreciate the intel here and unfortunately have the same issue. I have used many wireless systems over the years and have always carefully equalized my mixers channel strips by A/B-ing the cabled sound vs. the wireless tone. A few years ago I bought the Line6 X2 system and no longer have to change eq as the sound is extremely close. I picked up a G10 Relay last weekend and it sounds just as awesome but unfortunately it suffers from lots of dropouts.

It is near a laptop which plays my midi files among other uses but I always have the wifi disabled when it is in my practise area. I took the batteries out of its mouse and my cell phone was upstairs. Our wifi router is at least 15 feet away and I don't use my wireless in-ear monitors in the house. There are no other wireless devices in the vicinity. I tried fully plugging the receiver into the charger for 10 seconds but kept having the über-dropouts. When a dropout happens the receiver's halo light flickers a second or two and then goes back to solid white and the sound quickly resumes.

On a whim I tried timing the periods between dropouts to ascertain a pattern or any rhyme or reason. There was; the dropouts happen exactly every 60 seconds!

Could this mean that a cellphone or ipad upstairs is causing interference by regularly checking for emails? I am out of time this evening and can't experiment with that sort of variable but does anyone have any advice? My X2 has NEVER had a dropout other than when the 9-volt dies.

Further to my post above, my lovely better half crashed early so I quietly headed downstairs to see if I could eliminate a variable or two. My cell was completely shut off now and everything was ducky UNTIL I fired up my laptop. Again, the wifi eas disabled but like Ol' Faithful or clockwork it hiccupped once every 60 seconds.

Any computer whizzes reading this? I dialed my Windows 10 laptop back to 7 as I couldn't seem to rid myself of Cortana and the hard drive seemed to spin every 45 seconds for no reason. If I am unable to solve this the G10 will be going back to the store as I need my laptop for the majority of my gigs and go back to the X2.

Thanks,

Jeff

Further to my post above, my lovely better half crashed early so I quietly headed downstairs to see if I could eliminate a variable or two. My cell was completely shut off now and everything was ducky UNTIL I fired up my laptop. Again, the wifi eas disabled but like Ol' Faithful or clockwork it hiccupped once every 60 seconds.

Any computer whizzes reading this? I dialed my Windows 10 laptop back to 7 as I couldn't seem to rid myself of Cortana and the hard drive seemed to spin every 45 seconds for no reason. If I am unable to solve this the G10 will be going back to the store as I need my laptop for the majority of my gigs and go back to the X2.

Thanks,

Jeff

What firmware revision is your G10 receiver running?

Hi and thanks for your reply. I updated "Line6 Monkey" thinking, "That's what they mean by 'Line6 Updater'" but as I found out they are definitely 2 different utilities. I am very frightened of these sorts of things after so many people I know have had their Vetta amps turned into paperweights (I've been luckier with my own).

It turned out for me that the Updater would not have anything to do with my G10 until I allowed Windows to find drivers for the receiver and transmitter. The receiver is at 1.00 and the transmitter is at 1.04. Those appear to be the latest available.

I still had the same problem so I just spent a bunch of time getting rid of all sorts of Windows spyware/telemetry/updates and, after rebooting, am still getting the same dropouts every 60 seconds.

The only other things I can think of is to uninstall my laptop's wireless driver(s) or move the laptop very far away, none of which is feasible.

Further to above, I rearranged things in order to move my Windows laptop to a spot 5-6 feet away from the G10 receiver and finally everything is happy.

Now, where do I get whatever sort of adapter I need to allow it to work with my Godin (Multiac Grand Concert SA)?

Jeff

It was slightly used from a big Music Store here and I don't believe there was one in the box but I will look. Just checked out the "Guitar Compatibility" pdf and ordered the Hosa GPP-151 online. That will hopefully solve that issue. Thanks for your help! How much do I owe you?!

I opened a trouble ticket and after some troubleshooting Line 6 issued an RMA for my unit and replaced it under warranty. The new unit is working flawlessly in the exact same environment that the old one was dropping out in. So there was no way it was a channel interference issue unless the old unit was not choosing a clear channel.

It was slightly used from a big Music Store here and I don't believe there was one in the box but I will look. Just checked out the "Guitar Compatibility" pdf and ordered the Hosa GPP-151 online. That will hopefully solve that issue. Thanks for your help! How much do I owe you?!

Good deal. Let us know if that takes care of it.

• 1 month later...

I have been having this issue too for a while.  Then I saw this post and read some of the replies.  Yes I dock the sender for 10-20 seconds.  But having readf about positioning the reciever, I've just moved it.  It was sitting on top of my PC.  It's now about a metre from the PC sitting on top of a yamaha monitor speaker, so far so good, no droppouts since I moved it.  Fingers crossed :)

• 2 months later...

The problem I am having with the g10 is when I remove it from the receiver with the green light glowing . I plug it into the bass guitar an it glows red. Sometimes I can sit there an unplug it an put it back into the guitar an sometimes it comes on. More not than come ons. Sometimes I can take it back to the receiver an it will glow a orange/red for about 5 minutes then blink green for a little while an then glow green. Take it out an put it into the guitar an it may come on or have to do the unplug an plug back up 5 or 6 times. Again sometimes it comes on. When it does com on it seems to work fine until you let it go to sleep an sometimes it wakes up an then again sometimes it turns red then u have to start all the processes again.. This is a little to much when u are fixing to play. This does this at home an at gigs with no other units around that would interfere. I have tried this with several different guitars active an passive ones. I need help before I go crazy or send it back an go back to my senheiser. I know this may sound crazy but this is what is happening. Help

The problem I am having with the g10 is when I remove it from the receiver with the green light glowing . I plug it into the bass guitar an it glows red. Sometimes I can sit there an unplug it an put it back into the guitar an sometimes it comes on. More not than come ons. Sometimes I can take it back to the receiver an it will glow a orange/red for about 5 minutes then blink green for a little while an then glow green. Take it out an put it into the guitar an it may come on or have to do the unplug an plug back up 5 or 6 times. Again sometimes it comes on. When it does com on it seems to work fine until you let it go to sleep an sometimes it wakes up an then again sometimes it turns red then u have to start all the processes again.. This is a little to much when u are fixing to play. This does this at home an at gigs with no other units around that would interfere. I have tried this with several different guitars active an passive ones. I need help before I go crazy or send it back an go back to my senheiser. I know this may sound crazy but this is what is happening. Help

Have you installed the latest firmware? This sounds like the problem the update was meant to fix.

• 2 years later...

This must be somewhere in this forum but damned if I can find it... How does one update the G10 transmitter firmware?  I've got mine plugged into USB, tried USB version 2 and 3 ports, and Line6 Updater nor Monkey recognizes the device.  I'm using the 1/4" USB cable to plug into Windows 10 PC. I have the receiver base but don't see any USB port so I assume I can't use the receiver to update the firmware.  Thanks, Thorne

UPDATE: Never mind. I see the receiver power cable is a USB cable.  I'm ok now.

• 6 months later...

I have to start by saying that the Line6 support team was AWESOME, but even my replacement G10/G10s is constantly dropping then reconnecting even when the G10 is used within a foot of the G10S receiver.  There MUST be something else happening as this is in my HOME studio, under the best of conditions. I'm looking for something ANYTHING else to try or that may be causing the issue the dropping issue.  So what Fukushima is a mile away.! (kidding of course).

10 minutes ago, nbonsignore said:

I have to start by saying that the Line6 support team was AWESOME, but even my replacement G10/G10s is constantly dropping then reconnecting even when the G10 is used within a foot of the G10S receiver.  There MUST be something else happening as this is in my HOME studio, under the best of conditions. I'm looking for something ANYTHING else to try or that may be causing the issue the dropping issue.  So what Fukushima is a mile away.! (kidding of course).

WiFi seems to be the most common source of interference with the systems. Do you have a wireless router within 10 feet of the receiver?

2 hours ago, nbonsignore said:

I had this issue until I moved my laptop computer at least 6 feet away; even with the laptop’s wifi turned off it still “pinged” every minute or so and the G10 paid attention to that! Very annoying!

• 1 year later...

I have G 10 Relay and has never worked wont charge been to the factory twice I gave up then didn't play through the pandemic - I bought the GT XII transmitter  2 weeks ago and it charges using the old transmitter from the G10 R and its dropping out for a second or two, and not consistent sound help - feel like I am throwing good money after bad. Other band member have had no issues - I play acoustic guitar 

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I've had this product (G10S) a about a year now and yes, initially I have experienced the intermittent drop outs and it is frustrating but it is a typical thing with most wireless systems as the FCC regulates what frequencies everything can transmit on which is why we have various channels in 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz wifi ranges.  Good news is that I have a degree in electronics and was an IT professional for many years and understood what was going on under the covers so to speak.

If you leave this unit set to auto I will guarantee dropouts at some point just due to routers scanning to optimize/auto set the wifi channels for your network.  The key here is to know what your environment is using.  You can download a wifi analyzer on you smart phone or windows/mac pc for free, just make sure it indicates which channels are in use.  You can also typically set your wifi router for your home/studio to use a specific channel(s) and completely eliminate cross talk/interference completely.  Some wireless units utilize H9/H10/H11 or other UHF/VHF frequencies depending on their design and are subject to interference from other devices using those frequencies as well.

Once I got sick of the dropouts I spent less than an hour analyzing my environment, set the unit to channel 4 and haven't had a drop since.  If I go do a gig, I just spend 5 minutes using the analyzer on my android phone and set the unit appropriately to ensure I'm not using a channel already in use by the local wifi system.

Hope this helps, jam on !!!!!!!!!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

For some reason the G10S seems way more sensible to a busy wifi. Never had a problem with dropouts, with the basic G10 receiver, but was going nuts with my new G10S.

Tried everything, even using a totally unused channel, but didn't worked. Very unstable signal and dropouts on all channels.

The only solution that worked for me was to shut down the 2.4Ghz in one of my two routers, and only use the 5Ghz Wifi for my devices. This way I cleaned out a bit the signal and thanks to that I managed to find a good and stable connection for the G10S, on Channel 6.

For my tests, looks like isn't only about how busy are your wifi channels, but how close is the G10S to other 2.4Ghz Wifi devices and routers.