Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume difference w/ Variax "mags" and regular Strat

Hello,

I've got a stock JTV-69 H/S/S, and a Fender Std (MIM) Strat H/S/S updated w/ Dimarzio Cruiser pickups mid & neck, and a Dimarzio AT-1 bridge pickup.

I use a POD HD500 w/ L6Link to a DT-25.

Using the regular 1/4" guitar input on the POD:

When I simply switch from the Variax w/ Mags to the Fender Strat, there is a noticeable volume/output difference between the Variax and the Fender guitars.  The Variax w/ Mags (no modelling) is lower in volume (in all 5 switch positions) than the Fender Strat.

This was surprising.

Is the JTV-69 H/S/S Variax, using Mags only, supposed to have a similar volume/output level to a H/S/S Fender Strat?

I did notice that w/ the Variax I could raise the pickups 1/16"-to 1/8" closer to the strings, would that raise the volume/output a noticeable amount?

I want to be able to switch between these 2 guitars using regular 1/4" guitar cable to the POD or amp.

Any help/input appreciated.

-Gary K

When I simply switch from the Variax w/ Mags to the Fender Strat, there is a noticeable volume/output difference between the Variax and the Fender guitars. The Variax w/ Mags (no modelling) is lower in volume (in all 5 switch positions) than the Fender Strat.

This was surprising.

Not really. Unless you're dealing with identical sets of pickups, (and even then...) one set is bound to be hotter than the other. I rarely use the same patch with more than one guitar...hardly ever really.

youve gpt different pic ups in both guitars, your guitar with the dimarzios in is a strat in name only.

you either have to accept that the dimarzios are hotter and use that as a tonal difference, or run a copy set of the same patches throttled back, 

or alternatively have patches that get teh best from the variax, and patches that get the best from the "fender" and use them alternatively

or option 3 , go into work bench and increase the output levels of the variax models so that they level match your other guitar

I changed out my 69S stock pu's with DiMarzio noiseless SC's mainly for the noiseless part, but they are somewhat hotter than stock SC's and hotter than the models, so I upped the volume on the models a bit to even them up. I also have a 59, and it's stock HB pickups are hotter than the noiseless SC's in my 69S. I copied my 69S presets in my Helix and in my HD500X before it, and reduced the input gain for the 59, so I can swap guitars. On the Helix, I put a gain block first and take it down -8 dB or so... Works fine.

Dave