Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will I need additional guitar amp with HD500X?

Disore23

Hi. I've got HD500X and I love it.

I'm going to rehearse in studio with it and my question is> will I need addition guitar amp using with HD500X?

Or is it enough to play just with HD500X and back closed cabinets?

Will I get that deep fat distortion through cabinets only with HD500X?

Thank you.

You cannot power cabinets with the POD alone, you would need a power amp to drive the cabs.

There are other options with guitar amps, search 4CM (Four Cable method).

Or you can use powered loud speakers or studio monitors.

It really depends on what situations you plan on using the POD with. 

You could also plug into the pa. I mean, you have one, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear the singer. So, just skip the amp. 

But, to answer the question, the 500 does not power speakers. Yes, you will need something to power them. 

The 500 is an amp modeler it is not an amp. It is designed to be used without an amp, or with a "plain" amp so that you can hear an unaltered sound of the device. 

You could also plug into the pa. I mean, you have one, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear the singer. So, just skip the amp. 

But, to answer the question, the 500 does not power speakers. Yes, you will need something to power them. 

The 500 is an amp modeler it is not an amp. It is designed to be used without an amp, or with a "plain" amp so that you can hear an unaltered sound of the device. 

Thank you. Is it better to preamp after HD500X or send preamp into HD500X and then to cabinets?

Just for clarification, a preamp will not drive cabs. A typical PA has its own power amp, which is why you can plug directly into it with the POD HD.

NEVER run a power amp into the POD.

The POD is a preamp, which power headphones by itself, but that's about it.

Nice catch pianoguyy!! 

The POD works well with a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) solution.

PA’s, powered Loudspeakers (like DJ’s bring to weddings), Active Studio Monitors… more or less fall under FRFR and have their own power amp section.

Another approach is a FRFR power amp paired with passive monitors or cabinets.

Since it seems you’re fairly new to the terms and set-up, I personally wouldn’t recommend the 4CM at this point, it can get pretty tricky to dial everything in, even for some seasoned players.

Trirychepianoguyy, thank you! So the best way as I see is Guitar -> Processor -> Amplifier -> Cabinet. Or I can change Amp-Cab to Combo.

My aim is actually to achieve stereo after my processor to 2 separate cabinets. But with 1 amplifier. I suppose that it's impossible.  :mellow:

Hi' We are a rock duo and we use Hd 500's and Helix , you don't need to have any backline for your stage set up you can go directly to the front of house PA and then if you use monitors as we do send it back through the stage monitor. This set up suits us perfectly as having no backline and sending it to fold back stops stage spill and so therefore you get a cleaner out front and more controlled sound. My advice just use the PA this unit is designed with this in mind. You do need powered Pa/ cabinets for this to happen though. a Hope this helps.