Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How does Standard compare to JTV, I believe Standard has no piezo so how does it get the sound from the strings?

I am just curious, if the Standard Variax has no piezo, how does the modeling work?  Or maybe I misunderstood.  Thinking of getting a Standard in addition to the JTV69 I just bought.  To go with the HD500X I just ordered :-)  These guitars are so much fun.

No piezos, no modeling...at least until some miraculous new means of isolating the signal from each string comes along.

If you want another one, I'd get another JTV. The Standard is basically a Pacifica with Variax guts. A Strat clone is a Strat clone, and you've already got one...plus you can drop a Strat neck in the 69 if you're so inclined. Not an option with the Standard.

No piezos, no modeling...at least until some miraculous new means of isolating the signal from each string comes along.

Actually divided magnetic pickups work fine for Guitar modeling since 1995 as used on Roland VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, and currently on Boss GP-10 

No MIDI involved  - Roland uses one  A/D per string into a  DSP - same as Variax

info_02R_L.jpg

http://roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html

Actually divided magnetic pickups work fine for Guitar modeling since 1995 as used on Roland VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, and currently on Boss GP-10

No MIDI involved - Roland uses one A/D per string into a DSP - same as Variax

info_02R_L.jpg

https://youtu.be/37SQCAH4If8

http://roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html

Fair enough...never used any of the Roland stuff. Why bother with piezos then? Seems this would have fewer issues with relative outputs, etc...

Fair enough...never used any of the Roland stuff. Why bother with piezos then? Seems this would have fewer issues with relative outputs, etc...

It would also alleviate the issue with palm muting and the dreaded "plink." If only there was a way to use that roland P/U with the JTV processing...

It would also alleviate the issue with palm muting and the dreaded "plink." If only there was a way to use that roland P/U with the JTV processing...

Exact reason i prefer using  Roland VG-99 or Boss GP-10 or Antares ATG1 

more here

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php

i have mentioned what I want in the next Variax here

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22339103/

What would you like to see in the next Variax?

============================================

* Dual hex string pickups: Magnetic Hex PU and piezo hex PU,

- Magnetic Hex PU allows standard Palm Muting playing and improved electric Guitar Models and no plink!

- Leave the Piezo Hex PU for Acoustic Sims

* Add proper String Ground wires to each piezo saddle - so string signals dont drop out when playing with damp palms or high humidity conditions.

http://line6.com/support/topic/9587-low-e-string-piezo-pickup-volume-way-too-low/?p=69286

* Avoid "Black Chrome hardware for bridge as it yields ground noise due to the high DC resistance of that type plating.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18726.msg133540#msg133540

* Add a Blend control for MagPUs & Variax models

* Over the next gen VDI Interface ( and added USB-C connector) I'd want bi directional digital audio of separate audio channel for each string and path for multichannel USB audio IO interface , to allow "Re-Guitaring" ( like the Boss GP-10 does today) and Direct USB connection to Mac/PC Android / iPad version of Workbench HD

* MIDI Bluetooth LE wireless connection to BLE enabled Workbench app for IOS.

* upgrade FireHawk Remote to support full Variax Workbench on iPad

* Polyphonic Synths in future Combo of 2018 PolyPhonic Variax and 2018 Helix II or Firehawk II using the new "Poly VDI" Ethercon cable

* Polyphonic guitar to MIDI

- ability to map picking dynamics to transmit separate MIDI CC# (one per string)

* More stealth guitar mounted MIDI CC# Controllers ( to control Helix FX or other gear in my rig ) built into the guitar

* Arpeggiator, with user defined sequence ( see Roger Linn Adrenalinn, and Roland GR-30)

* Pickguard that is a stealth Kaoss style x-y touch controller , but looks just like a normal guitar

* 3D axis Gyro orientation module , to modulate fx based on guitar orientation -

* "Virtual Jeff" style digital whammy bar for assignable string bending -pedal steel , B Bender effects

* String Spilts with separate Guitar Models per string : Bass on low E, A strings and normal guitar on D, G, B, E

I guess I want a Line-6 guitar and Helix combo that matches or tops what I already do with my 20 year old Roland VG-8 or 10 year old VG-99

Exact reason i prefer using Roland VG-99 or Boss GP-10 or Antares ATG1

more here

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php

i have mentioned what I want in the next Variax here

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22339103/

What would you like to see in the next Variax?

============================================

* Dual hex string pickups: Magnetic Hex PU and piezo hex PU,

- Magnetic Hex PU allows standard Palm Muting playing and improved electric Guitar Models and no plink!

- Leave the Piezo Hex PU for Acoustic Sims

* Add proper String Ground wires to each piezo saddle - so string signals dont drop out when playing with damp palms or high humidity conditions.

http://line6.com/support/topic/9587-low-e-string-piezo-pickup-volume-way-too-low/?p=69286

* Avoid "Black Chrome hardware for bridge as it yields ground noise due to the high DC resistance of that type plating.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18726.msg133540#msg133540

* Add a Blend control for MagPUs & Variax models

* Over the next gen VDI Interface ( and added USB-C connector) I'd want bi directional digital audio of separate audio channel for each string and path for multichannel USB audio IO interface , to allow "Re-Guitaring" ( like the Boss GP-10 does today) and Direct USB connection to Mac/PC Android / iPad version of Workbench HD

* MIDI Bluetooth LE wireless connection to BLE enabled Workbench app for IOS.

* upgrade FireHawk Remote to support full Variax Workbench on iPad

* Polyphonic Synths in future Combo of 2018 PolyPhonic Variax and 2018 Helix II or Firehawk II using the new "Poly VDI" Ethercon cable

* Polyphonic guitar to MIDI

- ability to map picking dynamics to transmit separate MIDI CC# (one per string)

* More stealth guitar mounted MIDI CC# Controllers ( to control Helix FX or other gear in my rig ) built into the guitar

* Arpeggiator, with user defined sequence ( see Roger Linn Adrenalinn, and Roland GR-30)

* Pickguard that is a stealth Kaoss style x-y touch controller , but looks just like a normal guitar

* 3D axis Gyro orientation module , to modulate fx based on guitar orientation -

* "Virtual Jeff" style digital whammy bar for assignable string bending -pedal steel , B Bender effects

* String Spilts with separate Guitar Models per string : Bass on low E, A strings and normal guitar on D, G, B, E

I guess I want a Line-6 guitar and Helix combo that matches or tops what I already do with my 20 year old Roland VG-8 or 10 year old VG-99

And you got a Pacifica, lol. Well I suppose an impressive wish list requires an equally impressive buzz kill. The universe likes equilibrium...;)

Because in theory it should be a better reference point to model off of. In certain aspects, it is (broader frequency response that magnetic pickups can't get) but the drawback is that piezos get the signal differently than magnetic pickups.

That fact adds unwanted characteristics to modeling (muffled palm mutes, unwanted string noise, etc).

The acoustics flat out sound better than the Roland guitar. Even some of the electrics have some liveliness that the Roland misses, but it adds things that people don't want to hear in a guitar signal.

It's a win/lose situation. I mean, what's the number one thing people want with a modeling guitar? For it to actually sound like the guitar the models are based off of.

Ultimately, modeling guitar will never be perfect simply because of physical limitations.

Where did you get the idea that the Variax Standard has no piezo pickups? It does.

I could not understand how a Variax could work without piezos, that's why I asked the question.  How I got the idea...I saw a comparison of the JTV to the Standard in (I think) Thomann.de (I live in Germany) and it said the JTV had piezos and the Standard did not.

I could not understand how a Variax could work without piezos, that's why I asked the question.  How I got the idea...I saw a comparison of the JTV to the Standard in (I think) Thomann.de (I live in Germany) and it said the JTV had piezos and the Standard did not.

Trying to model off of an absolutely normal pickup is a joke.

The reason why a GK pickup or piezo pickups are used is to get the cleanest sounding signal to work with before it gets processed to sound like other pickups/guitars/etc.

A, let's say, bridge humbucker pickup is never going to get the sounds of a strat bridge pickup, because too many of the highs and presence are lost in a humbucker.

It's like shaving your head and trying to glue your hair back on. It just doesn't work. You got rid of it, you can't put it back in.

As an owner of a "Roland Ready Strat", Fishman Triple Play and 3 variax guitars, Tracking was always a problem with the Roland system in a live situation. I use it now mostly to create Midi Tracks. The Fishman tracks much better, but live you have to bring the extra gear  (Ipad or laptop for sounds). Both are great for getting different sounds for you guitar ( I used it for Sax solos, Organ, Brass, etc...).  I got the variax in order to have several guitar models at my finger tips LP. Strat, Tele, Rick, 335, acoustics..........

JTV-69 HSS Red (newest member)

300 Black w/500 neck & Fishman Triple Play (profile photo)

300 Red

USA Roland Ready Strat Black

HD500 into 2 Tech 21 Power Engines 60W