Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

App Loses USB Connection when DAW Connected

pearlfukinjam

When the Helix is phsyically connected to my Mac, sometimes it doesn't see it.  So I reboot the helix and close the helix app and can usually regain connection to the app.  

I"ll then swap over to my DAW Reaper to record and the helix app loses connection.  Meaning I can't tweak the settings on the helix thorugh the app, only the physical helix. 

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there a way to keep both connections (helix and DAW)?

It's not the biggest deal, but would like to be able to quickly select stuff using a mouse, rather than reach down and tweak.

Haven't tried DAW yet integration yet, and I'm not on a Mac, but try a different USB port if you have one. I had all kinds of trouble updating my Helix using the first one I tried, which works fine for everything else AFAIK, no problems so far on another one.

Nothing to do with USB ports. Happens all the time to be too, on two separate Macs. There seems to be two issues

Pre Version 2.0 - When connected to Mac and editor open computer would report 'disconnected' Helix would still process audio on whatever preset\settings happened to be engaged but was essentially frozen as no buttons or controls responded. Had to be hard booted to get it back to fully operational.

Post Version 2.0 - When connected to a Mac and editor open just disconnects (by that I mean the Helix Editor displays a popup that alerts you to the fact that connection was lost). However the Helix does not freeze and stays fully functional. Have to close editor, disconnect and reconnect USB, start editor again.

Even though the second issue is far less invasive (as Helix unit is somewhat unaffected) it's also far more frequent. More often than not when I am using the editor I lose connectivity now.

I've noticed with mine that if I leave my rig for a little while (like long enough for the Mac to "sleep"), when I come back the Editor says No Helix connected so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the computer going to sleep...not sure if I've ever had it happen while I'm using it...don't think I have as I very often do my switching via the app when I'm at my recording desk rather than using the actual Helix.

I've noticed with mine that if I leave my rig for a little while (like long enough for the Mac to "sleep"), when I come back the Editor says No Helix connected so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the computer going to sleep...not sure if I've ever had it happen while I'm using it...don't think I have as I very often do my switching via the app when I'm at my recording desk rather than using the actual Helix.

That's been my experience too. I've got my Helix in my office and during downtime I mess around with assignments in the editor. Pretty often when I return to the app after being away for a while it will have disconnected.

That said, I've been actively using my machine(with the editor in the background) for a while, so I don't think it's as simple as sleep. Maybe an app priority thing. 

If I put my software tester hat on, I'd blame Mac's "App Nap" feature.

You can disable that feature. If the "bug" goes away, they'll at least have more info on fixing it(or bugging Apple to fix an issue they'll never fix).

Yeah that happens too.  I typically reboot the helix and replug in the USB.  

So no real solution to the app being usuable while also going into the DAW?