Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2m vs QSC K10

xsession99

Hi. I currently run my Helix through a L2m via the Line 6 link as my stage monitor. I was thinking about switching to a QSC K10 to reduce my load-in/out carrying weight by the 18 pound difference. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions as to the differences sound-wise. Thank you.

Well I've never used the QSC, but what I do know is that each and every time you pump your tones through a different box, the tone is gonna change. Sometimes it's a subtle difference, and sometimes you might be forced to wonder if your guitar was replaced by a bassoon while you weren't looking. Bottom line is, expect to do some tweaking...doesn't mean that you won't get it sounding just as good, but it won't sound identical without some work.

• Upvote 1

Don't know anything about the sound of the K10, but my personal advice is to keep the L2M and buy the Line 6 roll-around case for it.  StageSource speakers are awesome and the case makes it's extra weight feel like you're rolling around a small pc of carry on luggage.  Save your money, buy another L2 "T" and another Link cable - and you'll have an awesome stereo system that will cover any base you can possibly need short of large stadium venues.  I have an L2T (for toting around and church-play) along with two L3's (a T & an M) and I've never looked back.  When I put the three together with a Wet/Dry/Wet configuration in my studio, it's glorious.

I have the rolling case but it's still cumbersome to lift in/out and deal with steps, etc. And, more importantly, it's more powerful than I need for my playing situation right now.

The weight issue is one thing, but having more power than you need is better than having just enough to scrape by. I've had amps that could just barely cut it. Not fun....there's no such thing as too much headroom.

I have QSC k12's, the L2T, and two Alto 212T.  All are very complimentary to the Helix and require little tweaking.  The L2T is exemplary with the feedback control, speaker modes and on board eq all right there and great if you have a lot of solo gigs, acoustic, house, wedding stuff.

However I found the more I used the L2T I did not need to engage the special features since I can run a microphone directly into the helix so I ultimately chose lighter speakers and a feedback destroyer over the weight of the L2T.  So I ditched the L2T and bough another Alto.  The ALTO's are pretty light, lots of handles. 

I've never heard the StageSource speakers in person so I can't compare them, but I do own QSC K8s and K10s, and am very happy with them. Even the little K8 has always had more than enough power for me to use it as backline, and occasionally when necessary, as the only source of guitar sound (not through PA). It has never let me down.

(For reference, I play mostly in classic rock and pop cover bands and tribute acts - so, medium-loud stage volume at most. Your mileage may vary if you play a style that has > 100dB SPL stage volume, 16th note double kicks, or other busy and complex arrangements.)