Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Variaxs

IMHO the JTV69/89 are butt ugly (no offence to all you proud owners). The 59 I think is beautiful, but the neck is too fat for me. Anyone know if Line6 are planning some new models? I'm really trying to convince myself that the 69 isn't ugly so that I can buy one but it's just not happening! 

Airtug. I agree 100%. I would love to get a 69 if it wasn't so ugly and didin't have the neck problems and didn't have the really ugly tuning wheel.

Unfortunately, I suspect Line 6 is done with new bodies, at least for a while. They now have varations of all 3, so I think that is it. I'm going to stick with just my 59 and maybe in a few years they'll either come out with prettier models, or I'll pick up an 89 second-hand and put the electronics in a strat. Such a shame.

Thanks for your reply Oz...phew I thought I might be the only one who thought that! Yeah the tuning knob looks like a top hat hehe. I'm sure it plays really nice though. What do you think of the 59 neck? Is it really like a baseball bat?? People do say it feels nice and it's such a lovely looking guitar! 

I would be surprised to see any new body shapes anytime too soon. I think my 69 is a nice looking instrument, though. It kind reminds me of a cross between a Strat and a Jazzmaster.

Yh it is kind of a cross between those two. I just can't warm to it though! I want a Variax so bad!!

I like my JTV69!  I don't know what is so ugly about it or the tuning wheel.  I like the looks of the 59 but the 69 fits me much better.

Each to his own ay Charlie. No offence meant. It just looks wrong to me but sure it feels and plays great. I do want one!!

Thanks for your reply Oz...phew I thought I might be the only one who thought that! Yeah the tuning knob looks like a top hat hehe. I'm sure it plays really nice though. What do you think of the 59 neck? Is it really like a baseball bat?? People do say it feels nice and it's such a lovely looking guitar! 

I'm OK with the 59 neck. I find the guitar a bit heavy. I always wanted a Les Paul, so I got the 59 to give me both a Les Paul-ish instrument, and a Variax v2 (JTV). I replaced the 59 pickups with Gibson 490s, and they sound great. It's nice to have it, and I enjoy playing it, but up to now my go-to instrument has been my red Variax 700. I LOVE the look of that (although some hate it not having pickups) and it's Japanese so the build quality is phenomenal. Much better than my Korean 59. Plus, it feels and plays more like a strat, and is light. I also sometimes bring out my real USA strat, which feels and sounds great too, but I love the variety I have available on my Variax 700. However, with the updated electric models I may have to make my 59 my default guitar. It's in Oz, and I'm not, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I would love them to bring out the Variax 700 body with the 2.0 electronics, but it's not going to happen. I may have to convert one of mine. The problem is none of the JTV models have the controls I would want. The 89 is the closest, but the 5 way doesn't switch like 3 single-coils, and the tuning knob has drop tuning markings instead of alternate tunings, so there's no great solution for me at this stage. I'm not doing the ugly top-hat, that's for sure.

• Upvote 2

I'm cool - everyone has their own likes / dislikes when it comes to something like a guitar or a car (ect.)  I actually still like my Variax 500 body but I never liked the look without pickups.  The 69 looks much more like a standard strat like guitar which I like.  It's far from the perfect shape or look but so far I am very pleased with the way it plays and sounds.  Much better than my 500!  I really like the look of the 59 also but I am more comfortable with a strat like guitar.