Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why do some patches *always* show "E" (edited)?

mdmayfield

This isn't a big problem, but it's an annoying curiosity - I'm seeing a few of my patches immediately light up with the "E" symbol next to their names to signify they've been edited before I edit them, immediately after calling them up.

So far I haven't isolated any common factor to which ones or why, and even if I save them again, or make a small change and save them again, they persist in this odd behavior.

Has anyone else seen this, and do you have any idea why this would be?

I see this on some presets. It might have to do with something, anything really, assigned to an expression controller. Could be just an external pedal causing it. But it may be any pedal, including the onboard one if you have the floor unit. I wonder if Helix goes through it's pedal auto-calibration routine whenever switching presets? Or maybe it's not to do with pedals at all.

If you have your expression pedal(s) position set to global instead of per preset or per snapshot, I believe the E may shop up as soon as you enter the preset if the pedal is at a different location than where it was when you saved the preset.

If you have your expression pedal(s) position set to global instead of per preset or per snapshot, I believe the E may shop up as soon as you enter the preset if the pedal is at a different location than where it was when you saved the preset.

Sounds like that would be expected behavior, but there seems to be a case for the 'E' popping up where there's no explanation, and it's unexpected. I have all exp controllers set to per preset. And I also resaved the preset with the onboard pedal in the heel position, switched to another preset, and switched back to the 'E' preset, which still produces the 'E'.

In my experience this happens with almost every patch that uses an external EXP pedal as a controller. Even without moving the pedal Helix often detects some slight jitter in the signal and registers it as a pedal movement, meaning the preset has been modified. You can see the pedal position display fluctuating from 0% to 1% or something equally minuscule, perhaps a result of simply foot-tapping in time to the tempo beside the pedal while playing. The slight floor/carpet movement translates to the pedal and Helix detects it.

• Upvote 1

In my experience this happens with almost every patch that uses an external EXP pedal as a controller. Even without moving the pedal Helix often detects some slight jitter in the signal and registers it as a pedal movement, meaning the preset has been modified. You can see the pedal position display fluctuating from 0% to 1% or something equally minuscule, perhaps a result of simply foot-tapping in time to the tempo beside the pedal while playing. The slight floor/carpet movement translates to the pedal and Helix detects it.

That's as good a definition of a "bug" as I've ever heard! Apparently, though, not the only cause, as I don't have an external exp pedal.

I noticed this as well.  However, when I save the preset/snapshot with the block the selector is on is empty, for lack of a better way to describe it, I do not have this issue as I move back and forth between presets.

I have also noticed that on my Mission pedals, I sometimes need to "rock" them in order to clear out what Helix considers a shifting value, because if I don't rock it/move the pedal I can not clear the "E" even by saving.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys, I'm new to Helix, actually doing my first run thru setting up purchased sounds and organising into snapshots, when i noticed the same thing.

I think i have AN answer, maybe not THE answer.

When you save your preset snapshot and think about it as a song you will play live, you probably want the recall of the patch to start on the INTRO, or first sound used, not the last sound you were touching when you saved it last.

I.E. i have a patch for Iran, Flock Of Seagulls. The snapshot has INTRO VERSE SOLO patches. When i step on IRAN, snapshot opens with INTRO selected, as thats the first thing i need. When i step on VERSE, the E comes up, same as SOLO, and even back to INTRO the dreaded E is still there.

BUT

If i go to a different song patch and return to IRAN the snapshot opens on INTRO, which is what id want most

Now... if i open IRAN and hit SOLO patch, then save button, every time i open IRAN it will open on SOLO.

Im starting to think its not a bug or a glitch, but an observation of not being in opening default position.

If this is all incorrect i apologise in advance to advanced users. 

When you save a patch, it does remember which snapshot was selected. That's good, it lets you control which snapshot comes up when you recall the patch. You do have to remember to select the snapshot you want to be in effect for that patch before you save it.

I.E. i have a patch for Iran, Flock Of Seagulls. The snapshot has INTRO VERSE SOLO patches. When i step on IRAN, snapshot opens with INTRO selected, as thats the first thing i need. When i step on VERSE, the E comes up, same as SOLO, and even back to INTRO the dreaded E is still there....

Yes, this is expected behaviour. The "E" is an indicator that the Preset (not Snapshot) has been modified. By switching between Snapshots you are editing the Preset. You have changed it - unless you SAVE it the preset will not be recalled in its current state. It will be recalled in the previously saved state - I.e. with the original, not current, Snapshot selected.

The "E" will only be removed by a SAVE operation, not by returning to the original Snapshot. Once a change has been detected the "E" is displayed and Helix does not track subsequent changes to try to detect when the preset may be back in its original state.

• 5 years later...

Hi all, I also have the  "E" after every Presetname, as soon as I switch to the snapshot mode. This happens in both, the factory and user presets. This weekend I did the update from 1.30 to 1.40 firmware with the pod go edit. I never noticed this behavior before. IMO really strange and not mentioned in the user manual. Please excuse my humble englisch, I'm from Germany

On 7/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, CU24 said:

I also have the  "E" after every Presetname, as soon as I switch to the snapshot mode. This happens in both, the factory and user presets.

Hi,

As explained by “silverhead” in the post above - this is expected behaviour.

This is normal - when you load the preset it is exactly as it was prior to it’s previous “saved state”. As soon as you hit a “snapshot”, the preset has then changed from the “saved state” and so the “E” is displayed to show you it has changed and is an “edited” version of the original.

It’s nothing to worry about, it’s simply a reminder.

If you now choose to save the preset with the changes made by the “snapshot”, the next time you load that preset, and then move to another “snapshot”, the same thing will happen, simply because it has changed again from the last saved state. This will happen on any preset, either factory, or user, as soon as anything changes from how the preset was saved.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

NOTE: You posted your comment about a POD Go to a Helix thread that is 5 years old.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 2:17 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

As explained by “silverhead” in the post above - this is expected behaviour.

This is normal - when you load the preset it is exactly as it was prior to it’s previous “saved state”. As soon as you hit a “snapshot”, the preset has then changed from the “saved state” and so the “E” is displayed to show you it has changed and is an “edited” version of the original.

It’s nothing to worry about, it’s simply a reminder.

If you now choose to save the preset with the changes made by the “snapshot”, the next time you load that preset, and then move to another “snapshot”, the same thing will happen, simply because it has changed again from the last saved state. This will happen on any preset, either factory, or user, as soon as anything changes from how the preset was saved.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

NOTE: You posted your comment about a POD Go to a Helix thread that is 5 years old.

Hi, thanks for this clarifying  information.  Kind regards.

• Thanks 1