Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Masonite Plank Vs Spank Body

yes, I'm asking the workbench. it is possible to adjust the on the workbench height of  strings or pickups?

Oh, sorry. I just realized you meant you did it in Workbench. I thought you were talking about real pickups in real guitars. My mistake :P

yes, I'm asking the workbench. it is possible to adjust the on the workbench height of  strings or pickups?

Not the height, no. You can adjust the volume of individual strings.

My original answer about height was because I thought you were asking about volume changes in a real guitar, not in workbench.

sorry my Inglish is not very good, what I noticed was that the spank 2, on the workbench, when I change to body mansonite plank, the sound is much louder and better, brighter, more quack, but in life real, the body of mansonite should not be higher than the strat right?

Not the height, no. You can adjust the volume of individual strings.

My original answer about height was because I thought you were asking about volume changes in a real guitar, not in workbench.

sorry my Inglish is not very good, what I noticed was that the spank 2, on the workbench, when I change to body mansonite plank, the sound is much louder and better, brighter, more quack, but in life real, the body of mansonite should not be higher than the strat right?

Your english is fine, and better than my Spanish or Portugese.

I would expect there to be some volume variations when using different bodies, both in Workbench and in real life. Masonite is very, very stiff and might account for some of the variation in volume.

I would certainly expect the tone to be different when changing the guitar body, but "better" is subjective. If it sounds better to you, go ahead and use it.

ok, you're right, better is subjective, but I found odd because it sounded much louder than the body spank

Your english is fine, and better than my Spanish or Portugese.

I would expect there to be some volume variations when using different bodies, both in Workbench and in real life. Masonite is very, very stiff and might account for some of the variation in volume.

I would certainly expect the tone to be different when changing the guitar body, but "better" is subjective. If it sounds better to you, go ahead and use it.

ok, you're right, better is subjective, but I found odd because it sounded much louder than the body spank

Unfortunately I can't try this as my guitar is in Australia, but it would be useful to have someone else change the body and see if they also see a large volume change. Anybody able to quickly test that and chime in here?

My guess is that the Masonite Plank is a body for a Danelecto Guitar - perhaps specifically the Coral Sitar (see http://danguitars.com/HISTORY.html for the connections).  

Guitars designed by Nathan Daniel (1912-1994) never reached the pantheon of instruments made by Fender, Gibson, and Martin. But in their own way they were no less influential, their low price tag making them readily available to the masses. Cost cutting was achieved through materials and construction. As with this 3012 "short horn" model in "bronze" finish, the top and back of many Danelectro instruments were made from one-eighth-inch Masonite glued over a poplar framework, and covered over with a painted finish (including trendy colors like fuchsia and peach).

From the Wikepedia page on Masonite it becomes obvious that it isn't made in guitar body thinkness, so I expect the difference is that the body resonates more than the solid Strat body would do - the top and bottom is only 1/8" thick.  In fact the resonance is how the Coral Sitar worked - the drone strings are only connected to the main strings through the body.