Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting to a solid state power amp

cirpo58

No experience with these either. However, after reading the info available on websites, I think this would be tricky with Firehawk. The Rocktron has circuitry intended to emulate the power stage of a tube amp. Amp models in Firehawk do that as well, probably using a different processing technique. You would likely get an unnatural effect and that may or may not sound good to you. You could try selecting one of the preamp-only amp models in Firehawk, which makes more sense technically. That would be extremely limiting as far as amp modeling choices. The cab you mentioned is a guitar cab, so you would need to bypass the cab models in Firehawk or you would be doubling up on processing there as well. If you really want to jump into a Firehawk, your best bet would be to get a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) cabinet and the cleanest PA power amp you can afford. Or get a powered monitor. I have a relatively inexpensive Behringer powered monitor I use for rehearsal and it sounds amazingly good with Firehawk. The beauty of Line6's digital modeling tech is its versatility, but you can only unlock that if you have the most transparent amplification gear downstream.

Many thanks. I already tried the FRFR path (Digitech RP1000), I still own a powered monitor, but I really don't like it. 

On the contrary using the RP1000 both into a solid state or tube amp and guitar cab, I obtained great sounds.
I read that Reactance control, which emulates tubes power stage, if set to zero reduces at minimum this emulation.

So I think I'll go this way. I'll keep you updated on results.

Many thanks.

I have an RP500 that I used with a Mesa 50/50 tube power amp and two Mesa 1x12 Thiele cabs. Ran in stereo, mini-stack. It sounded great with high gain at high volumes or clean at any volume. I also tried the RP500 in an FRFR setup and it sucked. Firehawk into a powered monitor is worlds beyond either setup, and I was a diehard tube fanatic for years. Sounds like you have the equipment to run either way if you get the Firehawk. Interested to hear how it goes!

I have an RP500 that I used with a Mesa 50/50 tube power amp and two Mesa 1x12 Thiele cabs. Ran in stereo, mini-stack. It sounded great with high gain at high volumes or clean at any volume. I also tried the RP500 in an FRFR setup and it sucked. Firehawk into a powered monitor is worlds beyond either setup, and I was a diehard tube fanatic for years. Sounds like you have the equipment to run either way if you get the Firehawk. Interested to hear how it goes!

Tried both (FRFR and power amp) and both sound good. But....oh boy....power amp and guitar cab it's really really impressive, In 10 minutes I selected Soldano SLO clean plus Tubescreamer for crunch sound, same preset + delay and higher volume for solos, Roland Jazz Chorus with chorus, phaser and delay and I was ready to go. Sounds like thunder. Fantastic choice, nice one Line 6!!!!

Took me a while to figure this out also.  I ended up hooking output to fx return on my amp.  Output is in amp mode.  Anything else sounded like a cat with it's tail caught in a mouse trap inside a dumpster with the lid closed.  To use headphones, I switch to line mode and turn amp off.  There is still some difference between amp and headphones which I will likely have to solve with banks EQ'd for amp and another bank EQ'd for headphones.

I have an Ibanez 150W Solid state head and Marshall 4x12 cab.  The variac'd plexi (volume turned to 11 ;-)) through this sounds absolutely killer.  Played til my finger tips were black.

I've probably spent 20 hours trying to get "my" sound out of this thing.  You tend to forget how long you spent piddling with knobs until you get something new.  My advise hang in there.  It will take a week to get something out of it and if it just sounds wrong, hook it up differently.  There are many options.

Yes I also have a set of patches for live and a set of patches for headphones, sometimes the differences are subtle but occasionally you wouldn't believe they were similar patches , they can sound so different.

It also took me ages to find "my sound" but I got there in the end , and it's so much better than "my old sound"

+1, McB - whenever I listen to old demos, I actually get a good chuckle at the tones I thought were good at the time. By comparison, the tones I can achieve now on Firehawk after some tweaking are far superior. I jammed with some musicians from my "storied past" over the weekend and they were hearing Firehawk for the first time. I got several compliments on tone from both the musicians and spectators that were there in the garage listening! They were particularly impressed with a slightly modified version of the factory Jailbreak patch, based on the Plexi Lead 100 Bright into four V30s. My custom 80's patch based on the Brit J-800 also worked very well on some vintage Def Leppard. Lovin' this thing!

Sorry for the for questioning the same for hundred times. But I can't still understand  how to connect firehawk to pream, after I watched several videos and read some of the themes on this forum :(

I have amt ss-11 with its own in\out+send\return

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/ss-guitar-preams-tube-jfet/amt-ss-11b-modern-tube-guitar-preamp.html

And randall rg200 (whitch also has its send\return)

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/randall-rg-200-g2-848162.jpg

So I connect:

1 - guitar to firehawk "guitar in";

2 - firehawk send to amt input

3 - firehawk return to amt send

4 - firehawk output to amt return

5 - amt output to randall return

Am I right with this? And what i must choose on amp\line buttons on the firehawk.

Anothe quiestion, what  should I choose in remote app? As I understand, i should set in amp\cabinet "No amp", and then set "FX Loop" in the 1st place of the chain, all effets between FX Loop and amp.