Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix 2,01 application text ghosting - looks bad

zbcs

hi,

just updated everything and love unit

BUT

the text is ghosted and flickers on the Helix application screen - see pic.

helix 2.01 app and floor unit

win 7 i3, 8 gig ram, 64 bit

tried running in compatibility mode and got close with just 256 colors...no joy.

any ideas?

Thanx !!

post-1351408-0-76505700-1475174717_thumb.jpg

Don't know if you are using a laptop or a PC but I have seen this happen on a PC when the VGA/DVI connector from the monitor is not plugged in all the way either on the PC or the monitor. Of course it usually effects how all the apps appear not just Helix Edit. However, if it is a PC it is possible you may have dislodged the VGA/DVI connection when you plugged in your USB cable. Worth checking.

Cleartype might be worth looking into, but since it's only the Helix app, it's probably unlikely.

I don't think he mentioned that it was only the Helix app.  If it is only the Helix app doing it I would offer the standard advice of uninstalling all of the Helix software and then reinstalling. Perhaps the the Windows driver did not load properly (it is loaded up as a default option when you run the Helix Editor). You probably already tried this but I would also offer the advice of making sure as little as possible is running on the PC and it is freshly rebooted when you bring up the Editor. Maybe kill any process you can that is not critical to running the PC in case you have a driver conflict. Might also be worth looking for the latest update to your graphics card/chipset  as DunedinDragon alluded to. Also, many graphics cards have a "hardware acceleration" setting that uses your PC's resources to aid the graphics card. It might be worth experimenting with toggling that on/off.

Since the text on the taskbar in the picture looks fine, as well as the titlebar text and menu text for the Helix app itself, it's probably safe to assume it's just the Helix app.

Still Cleartype is worth looking at because I see differences in different applications because of it. For example, Firefox seems to render its text differently than other browsers, such as IE and Chrome, just not so extreme as what's in the picture above.

Since the text on the taskbar in the picture looks fine, as well as the titlebar text and menu text for the Helix app itself, it's probably safe to assume it's just the Helix app.

Still Cleartype is worth looking at because I see differences in different applications because of it. For example, Firefox seems to render its text differently than other browsers, such as IE and Chrome, just not so extreme as what's in the picture above.

Impressively observant of you and I agree that Cleartype is worth looking into. The additional memory, connectivity, and driver demands of the Helix Editor however could potentially point to other things worthy of investigation. Despite the fact that the menu bar appears correctly there could potentially be other apps that would appear to be "ghosting". All of the suggestions made in this topic should probably be explored to at least eliminate possible causes and hopefully to provide a fix.

Well thank you for all your input and ideas… I'm very impressed with this forum.

Unfortunately I tried each but to no avail.

I'll just scratch it up to some anomaly with this operating system and my laptop and move forward.

Or… Maybe it's the universe telling me I need a new laptop.  I know the experience would be much better on a touchscreen  as per my other amp editors - Fender Fuse for example, not certai functionality w Win 10 but yeah that would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone.

(For your supertechies – the pod HD 500 editor looked Just fine – the way it was supposed to.. And yes I've already uninstalled it)

But then again, I  guess for $1500 bucks I wouldn't expect any issues… 

Don't know if you are using a laptop or a PC but I have seen this happen on a PC when the VGA/DVI connector from the monitor is not plugged in all the way either on the PC or the monitor. Of course it usually effects how all the apps appear not just Helix Edit. However, if it is a PC it is possible you may have dislodged the VGA/DVI connection when you plugged in your USB cable. Worth checking.

Yeah, I've seen that too and it does look similar. But if that were the cause, a screenshot like the original post wouldn't show it (for the same reason that it's impossible to use a screenshot to show a cracked phone screen).

Yeah, I've seen that too and it does look similar. But if that were the cause, a screenshot like the original post wouldn't show it (for the same reason that it's impossible to use a screenshot to show a cracked phone screen).

Absolutely correct and a darn good point! Unless he snapped the screenshot with a phone camera which is unlikely. Yep, if that is a PrtScrn screenshot that probably eliminates a poor VGA/DVI connection as a possible cause.