Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR Options

Garhel

I have a chance to pick up an L3t for a good price. I use an Alto TS 212 for stage monitoring at the moment, so would expect this would be a step up in sound quality, as well as power.

So my question is would I be missing anything compared to the likes of the CLR or Friedman? I'm pretty happy with my Alto, but feel like I'm sometimes pushing it pretty hard, so power is as important as sound quality. To be honest at stage volume, if the Line 6 is 99% of the quality of the others, but gives me versatility and headroom, that would be just fine! But if it is miles away sound wise then I'll give it a miss. Even though it's a good deal, they're still not exactly giving it away for free!!!

Have you considered adding another matching Alto TS212 to run them in Dual Mono or Stereo, depending on how you're routing your Helix Audio path outs? You'd have a much fuller sound field, albeit with another item to load.

I had 2 CLR's, and now run a Firehawk 1500 amp. Never owned a L3T, that said Ive heard others say how much they liked the L2m and L2T. I don't think you can go wrong using an L3T with Helix and as far as hearing a difference between it and a CLR, at most it would be minimal, AND the L3T has Line 6 link!...

• Upvote 1

There's never a way to answer questions like these...there's no objective truth involved. Your ears will tell you if one box sounds "better" than the other...my ears may or may not agree, and neither of us would be "right".

Yes, I agree, but I was trying to nail it to specifics as much as I could - are people finding they are running out of volume with some of these options? And, yes of course some of the more subjective stuff, but only in as much as "these things are all good" or "the L6 version really is miles behind". Just seeking some opinions as I've done the YouTube vids, and they all sound great, I can't try them in real life as no-one stocks them, and I would be interested in real world experiences in a gigging environment, where some of the nuances that people perhaps value in the home or studio environment are lost.

I had 2 CLR's, and now run a Firehawk 1500 amp. Never owned a L3T, that said Ive heard others say how much they liked the L2m and L2T. I don't think you can go wrong using an L3T with Helix and as far as hearing a difference between it and a CLR, at most it would be minimal, AND the L3T has Line 6 link!...

Thanks - how come you changed from the CLRs? I need to look into the L6 link, bit of reading to do I think...

I have an Alto Truesonic TS212 and thought I was running out of volume until I realized I had global outputs set to mic instead of line. Once I changed that, the thing was twice as loud... and can easily hold it's own with a loud drummer. Just thought I'd mention that in case you don't have globals set to line.

I have an Alto Truesonic TS212 and thought I was running out of volume until I realized I had global outputs set to mic instead of line. Once I changed that, the thing was twice as loud... and can easily hold it's own with a loud drummer. Just thought I'd mention that in case you don't have globals set to line.

Yes, I think so, I run the xlr output to the board at mic level, and the 1/4" out to the Alto at line, but I haven't checked that in a while! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely check that tonight!

I have an L3T, an L3M, and an L2T and I've never looked back.  Not just for their sound, but also for their practicality.  They (especially the "Ts") are so versatile.  And If you can get a good enough deal on one and can afford it, I think you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.  One comment of advice concerning the L3's - Throw down the cash for their roll around case with retractable handle.  While all the Stagesource speakers are fantastically compact and balances, they are heavy.  Their case really is awesome.  Makes transporting feel like strolling the airport with carryon luggage. 

Man, I tried out a pair of used L3m's in the music store.  They sounded great and their specs are impressive.  If I were leaving them setup at home or at a jam spot, that would be killer.  But I sure would hate to transport them place to place all of the time.  They are listed at 57.5 lbs, which is better than some 412 cabs, but not by much.  The roller bag JLondon mentioned would make it easier I'm sure.

Man, I tried out a pair of used L3m's in the music store.  They sounded great and their specs are impressive.  If I were leaving them setup at home or at a jam spot, that would be killer.  But I sure would hate to transport them place to place all of the time.  They are listed at 57.5 lbs, which is better than some 412 cabs, but not by much.  The roller bag JLondon mentioned would make it easier I'm sure.

Again, the cases really do take away the pain in transporting.  But another BIG plus for Stagesource speakers: the L6 LINK system.  I don't know if any of the other Line 6 equipment (digital amps, etc.) are compatible with LINK, but if you have 2 or more StageSource speakers you get to daisy chain them via LINK and they communicate with each other (and a Line6 mixer if you have one).  Awesomely simple stereo or WDW setups possible.  I don't see people mentioning it on the Helix boards much, but I personally think it's almost worth the price of admission in itself.  Definitely a great selling point for the sound system as a whole.

I have a pair of ElectroVoice  ZLX 15"'s  and I love them. You may have the ability to out volume the whole band but that is not really the point. I just like the depth and range of sound. I would not dig the Helix without making use of the stereo ability. 

Thank you all for the input. Unfortunately the deal fell through, but I think I'm sold on the idea of the L6 L3T, just need to keep looking for one at a decent price. Busy run of gigs between now and end of year, which would raise enough, so could be a nice Xmas present to myself :-)

Yeah, L6 Link and WDW possibilities is a definite plus.  I'd feel a little awkward bringing up 3 L3t's with 4200w on stage to a gig though.  I can only imagine the looks from the soundman.  He might be threatened ;)

If you are referring to my posts, I can assure you that I don't use all three Stagesource speakers for live electric guitar play.   I only use an L2 for that.  It's pointing directly at me and the Helix goes straight to FOH.  My talk about the 3 pc set is strictly for my own enjoyment, but also for in the event that I'm playing both acoustic/electric guitar along with others in a coffee shop or small bar atmosphere.  It acts as the PA and two of the pcs have their own mixers.

Thank you all for the input. Unfortunately the deal fell through, but I think I'm sold on the idea of the L6 L3T, just need to keep looking for one at a decent price. Busy run of gigs between now and end of year, which would raise enough, so could be a nice Xmas present to myself :-)

Hey, don't rule out an L2.  I don't use all three of my Stagesource speakers for live play.  I only use the much lighter L2t, in PA reference mode, as a personal stage monitor and run straight out of the Helix to FOH with no amplifier.  The L2s are REAL easy to transport and they are a cheaper alternative.  Maybe even better for strictly electric guitar.  The L3's and their extra wattage/speaker/range shine more for adding in extra elements - like vocals, another musician, recording play-back, or outside effects from something like a Roland GR-55 guitar synthesizer.   Unless your band is really loud, you are playing really large venues, or you're playing really, really heavy metal - I'd actually recommend the L2 series to get a strictly electric guitar amp sound under most circumstances.

• Upvote 1