Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 600 - Tone temporary fades and crackle on G-String

Hi. On my Variax 600 the tone of the G-String temporary fades away to 10% and crackles.

If I hit the bridge with my palm several times and/or let the string slap hard everything can be fixed and the tone reanimates.

I know there are problems described with sweat and dirt, polluting the piezo.

Also there are issues with grounding or loose cable-connections.

Can somebody please give me a hint or provide some links so I can figure out some solutions?

yes, if you're lucky .. with the help of gravity, and the guitar turned with the top downwards..

in my case to be able to extract the piezo I had to remove the screw for adjusting the string intonation and move the saddle, can not remember now exactly but maybe I also used a thin needle to help in the extraction of the piezo

I will give it a try this weekend. To use a magnet to pull the piezo wouldn´t be a good idea, I guess?  :ph34r:

the length of the cable allows a limited movement ..

Just to be safe; How long would you name the length in cm?

thoroughly clean both the slot into the saddle and the piezo element

Any hints on the cleaning method? Normaly I clean metall-parts like frets using a super-fine grade steel-wool (0000).

After cleaning I plan to use some Kontakt 60 (Contact de-oxidiser) on saddle-top and piezo-bottom.