Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

autowah

knoxdaz10

Something like this?

It seems to me that a lot of what you're hearing with this is his playing technique, so if you can get close the technique demonstrated it might be easier to get similar results with Helix by using either the autofilter or mutant filter. Just play around with the settings for either and eventually you'll stumble across something that might be acceptable. You'll probably want to keep the mode on band pass. Both autowahs in Helix produce similar results but the autofilter has more flexibility by exposing more settings, so give that one a try. Also, you'll probably want to have this block located somewhere before the amp.

• Like 1

Something like this?

It seems to me that a lot of what you're hearing with this is his playing technique, so if you can get close the technique demonstrated it might be easier to get similar results with Helix by using either the autofilter or mutant filter. Just play around with the settings for either and eventually you'll stumble across something that might be acceptable. You'll probably want to keep the mode on band pass. Both autowahs in Helix produce similar results but the autofilter has more flexibility by exposing more settings, so give that one a try. Also, you'll probably want to have this block located somewhere before the amp.

thats the one. what is the mix do u think? 50% what about the filter Q?

it was this sound actually

lol i have a helix but i want that sound lol the quack

Hi knoxdaz10,

Simple solution - buy one and put it into one of the send and returns on your Helix. Then you will have that exact "Duck in Box" sound.

Get one from here:

WR-3 WAH ROCKER® : Buy Online from Godlyke Distributing

That way you can add the Helix auto filter stuff to the Wah Rocker for complete funked up lunacy.  ;)

thats the one. what is the mix do u think? 50% what about the filter Q?

I take back what I said above about using the band pass mode. High pass seems to work better for this type of quack. For Q, the higher it is the more pronounced the effect, so a fairly high Q would be good, maybe even max. A fairly high sensitivity as well, around 8. Attack around 100ms, decay 350ms, frequency 225Hz, freq depth 2.0KHz, direction up, and mix 100%. It's close using a clean amp tone. But that's for my guitar and pickups. The settings for your guitar might be slightly different.

it was this sound actually

https://youtu.be/IrWMyX4cnpk?t=2m22s

im not sure how to add a youtube video like u did.but my link he starts talking and demo ing his wahrocker. this is the exact sound . lol i have a helix but i want that sound lol the quack

Just post the link, but links using a specific start time (...youtu.be...) won't work. It has to be youtube.com for it to embed in the post.

• Upvote 1

I recommend dialing in a preset with the Helix Autofilter or Mutant. I have the Guyatone WR-2 and while it does sound good for a cheap pedal in my opinion it does not even come close to the quality and variety of auto-wah sounds I can get with the Helix. Unless you are planning to gig without the Helix I would save my money for something the Helix does not do way better than the Guyatone. If you compared the two (Guyatone, Helix) you will instantly hear how much better the Helix auto-wahs can sound and if you still needed to you could probably get very close to the Guyatone by tweaking your settings (but you won't want to).

I take back what I said above about using the band pass mode. High pass seems to work better for this type of quack. For Q, the higher it is the more pronounced the effect, so a fairly high Q would be good, maybe even max. A fairly high sensitivity as well, around 8. Attack around 100ms, decay 350ms, frequency 225Hz, freq depth 2.0KHz, direction up, and mix 100%. It's close using a clean amp tone. But that's for my guitar and pickups. The settings for your guitar might be slightly different.

Just post the link, but links using a specific start time (...youtu.be...) won't work. It has to be youtube.com for it to embed in the post.

thanks man!!!! ive got it :)

but if i switch guitars i need new settings lol

Snapshots would solve that easily enough. But differences between guitars would likely be minimal anyway.

However, having the same exact fingers from day to day could produce greatly varied quacks. Not so easy to fix that.

Snapshots would solve that easily enough. But differences between guitars would likely be minimal anyway.

However, having the same exact fingers from day to day could produce greatly varied quacks. Not so easy to fix that.

thankyou so much buddy for taking the time. i seriously was close to buying a wahrocker 5, but u saved me some cash.

i knew the helix could do what i wanted. its just if u get one of those settings wrong it recks the whole thing. now i have some great settings to stArt with. they should have made your settings the default lol

• Upvote 1

Hey guys!!

Been following this one as I have been working on a Superstition Cover by The Hoax.

These helped a little... but perhaps different guitar.

I feel stupid for asking but if anyone feels so inclined I would love a break down of each parameter.

I assume:

Q - how sharp a frequency spike its going to hit.

Sensitivity - pick attack/dynamics?

Attack - hmmmm.. above? How quick the filter reacts

Decay - how quick it stops reacting?

Frequency - Where the center (median) of the Q is going to sit

Frequency Depth - How how high the Q/frequency curve sits on the y axis

Direction -    x vs -x on the graph?

Gain? 

Hey guys!!

Been following this one as I have been working on a Superstition Cover by The Hoax.

I feel stupid for asking but if anyone feels so inclined I would love a break down of each parameter.

I assume:

Gain? 

for gain i just left it alone 18db,

if u get 1 of the settings wrong it wont work how u want.

dunccan would be better help i just used his settings with variax standard neck ph

amp is british p-75 nrm

with the fremen bigpackir no.87-lxtdr marshall 1

with a 10 band graphic eq after the ir

sounds really close to guthries. even better mabey

no need to buy a duck in a box now :)

Hey guys!!

I assume:

Gain? 

Here's a pretty good webpage about autowahs in general. Probably way more than you want to know, but it does explain the parameters about half-way down.

• 2 years later...
On 10/3/2016 at 9:37 AM, duncann said:

it might be easier to get similar results with Helix by using either the autofilter or mutant filter

I agree with this statement. The Mutant Filter is based on what many consider to be one of the first first and favored auto-wah pedal - considered to be categorized in the "envelope" filter family of effects pedals - The Musictronics® Mu-Tron III which was introduced in the mid-1970's. The Mutant Filter (Musictronics Mu-Tron III) allows you to adjust the effect based on your picking attack and several other factors.

Here are some links to videos that demonstrate what the Mu-Tron III could do as well as the history behind the Mu-Tron III pedal.

Mu-Tron III on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-Tron_III

That Pedal Show – Introduction To Auto Wah & Envelope Filters - https://youtu.be/Dp1s0Ow2BJU?t=427

George Duke - Mutron, demonstration record 1975. - https://youtu.be/wEdXlMqD5BI?t=217

Battle Of The Trons! Mutron III vs ULTRON vs Tru-Tron3X - https://youtu.be/ZcTkTKKBcsE

Edited by dchaparro
corrected typos.