Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3m bag replacement wheel.

Hi guys, one of the wheels sheered off as i was loading into a gig on saturday night. The wheel itself is fine but the plastic surround/mounting is busted. Has anyone any ideas on how to fix this? The thought of carrying the L3's everywhere is even giving me a sore back.. thanks guys..

there is no way i am paying another £115 for a replacement bag. its only a few months old and has done less than 10 gigs.. Terrible design and even worse quality for the price of it.. Would there be any Line6 staff out there to advise?? Thanks, Declan

From what you wrote it sounds like a definite design flaw. I already have several cases for my instruments and rig components so I've been shopping for a cart to pile everything on. As for the Line 6 bag that's ripped, depending on what the casters/wheels are like, I think I'd try to find some way to remove the rest of the wheels and add a 1/4" plywood reinforcement to the bag, Then, re-attach the wheels through that. I've already decided to have someone sew some slip covers out of heavy canvas to use instead of the branded Line 6 bags.

One of my wheels also broke off, the wheel and bearing seems to be good quality, unfortunately the plastic housing is very thin and snaps easily, very bad design.

I've now gone back to using a small alloy sack barrow. Needless to say I wont be investing in new replacement bags. Would be nice if Line6 did a call back replacement/modify service free of charge??

Leigh, thats exactly what happened to mine. the wheel itself is perfect but the cheap plastic surround is shattered on both ends. I am VERY careful with my equipment and this still happens. I don't think it's good enough especially for that price. Robert, that seems like a good idea. I'll have to look into it as i'm sure Line6 will do nothing to rectify this issue.

Let's put this into context...

I'm assuming that your bag's wheel snapped in a very similar fashion to mine in that there are two almost semi-circular flat plastic tabs that extend from where the wheel shroud is and these have snapped directly across leaving the wheel shroud with no tabs.

As the wheels are riveted to the back body via those two tabs, the remainder of the wheel casing (wheel and shroud) then simply drops off. That's how mine went.

I know exactly when mine got snapped and who was manhandling it at the time. The first tab snapped after one of my band mates dragged the bag, loaded with speaker down a pair of steps, the full weight of the cab landing onto the wheels as it hit each of the steps below. By the time they got to me with the bag, I noticed that the wheel was looking a bit lop-sided. One of the two tabs was snapped.

I took it really steady with that bag, nursed it home and it was used (by me only) at the next outing. At the next outing after, one of my other bandmates brought it out, the bag flipped over and he "righted" it which created another whack on the wheel which I'm pretty convinced snapped the second tab, but it wasn't until I unloaded the van that it gave way.

I've got 4 L2 bags and these have all been great

Balnce of the L3 bags can be a bit iffy though... the wheels are a little closer together, but the overall rigidity of the L3 bag is lesser than the L2 bags which have the suitcase style handles.

Again, I've noticed that the wheel casings encroach somewhat more into the main compartment of the L3 bag than the L2 bag so the speaker will be sat on the wheel housing either in upright OR flat orientation.

So, whilst it could be considered a design flaw, I'd look on it more as a design limitation. The snappage will be the result of the wheel housings getting whacked and most likely through our own usage when rolling them over rough/uneven surfaces and up/down small and large edges, but whether our heavy handedness is Line6's fault would be open to debate.

I've had one bag do it. I have 5 that are still perfect +1 that was bought as a replacement. The original lated about 2 years before it got damaged, and the other five are now three years old.

Most people take care of their gear. But how many of us truly take care of the gear our gear is stored and transported in?

Yes, the bags are pricey, but I'd not be without them.

So, whilst it could be considered a design flaw, I'd look on it more as a design limitation. The snappage will be the result of the wheel housings getting whacked and most likely through our own usage when rolling them over rough/uneven surfaces and up/down small and large edges, but whether our heavy handedness is Line6's fault would be open to debate.

I agree that the damage is usually done going down stairs and rolling too quickly causing an imbalance and stress on the narrow wheel base. In my case, too, the damage was done by others who weren't aware of the need to be careful. Design flaw or user-beware? Like you say, debatable.

I don't agree its heavy handedness to be rolling what is considered to be professional equipment up a small dropped kerb (a difference in hight of 20 mm) My holiday travel cases are more durable!

This is definitely a design fault and should be rectified. The L3t speakers that these bags carry are built like a tank, fantastic quality in every way.

I don't agree its heavy handedness to be rolling what is considered to be professional equipment up a small dropped kerb (a difference in hight of 20 mm) My holiday travel cases are more durable!

I think you're missing my point...

I agree, a 20mm riser with these bags should be no bother at all... and it isn't, if you take it more steadily and accept that dragging a 30KG speaker across a 20mm drop/rise needs adjustment in speed, approach angle, and any number of other factors to be taken into consideration. If you just simply drag it up/down that lip/step or across that cobbled surface, or allow the speaker to bang down the steps of a flight of stairs then I'd reckon you're likely to run into breakages.

Is the breakage the end of the world? No.

Is the breakage the fault of the supplier or a flaw in the design? Hard to know.

Would I say the wheels are *easy* to break? Hmm, in my opinion, no, they're not easy to break unless you don't takle *some* level of care.

As soon as I spotted the guy in our band do what he did with one of my speakers, I relieved him of the task. We've not managed to break another wheel since. Your version of treating your gear well, may well be different to my version of treating gear well.

Flight cases are flight cases. They cost hundreds of pounds and I would expect one to be pretty durable.

These are essentially cloth bags with a bit of padding. The designers threw in a pair of wheels. I don't expect them to be bombproof, I just expect them to do the best they can to protect my investment so long as I do my best to protect them.

If you feel you've been sold duffs, that's fine. I seek no argument with you. I merely wish to point out that I have five all of which are now 3 years old and all are brilliant, aside from a few scuffs here and there. I also pointed out, I've had one wheel break, BUT I know pretty much exactly why it broke.

In my humble opinion, you, or me, or anyone else breaking a wheel doesn't automatically make that breakage the result of a design flaw. In the first instance, it points to a flaw in the way the bags are handled.

I have to agree with SiWatts69. We too have been using the bags, both L2 and L3, for 3 years now. I am anal about the treatment of my gear and have had no problems with them thus far. I don't doubt that as with any product there will be a "lifespan", but I do everything I can to make that as long as possible. On rough terrain we carry them, as I don't want the amplifier subjecting to heavy vibration. I do have an issue with the bags for the subs as they drag on the ground and are fraying on one edge. I am currently in discussion with a manufacturer re an alternative sub cover. If it works out I'll post up here.

I do have an issue with the bags for the subs as they drag on the ground and are fraying on one edge. I am currently in discussion with a manufacturer re an alternative sub cover. If it works out I'll post up here.

Interesting you say that as it is the same for me... they drag on the floor.

As a result, I only use them as covers in storage, and remove them before loading up my van. Aside from anything else the covers take up space and the two subs stack better in the van without the covers on. As the wheels are built into the subs, they're easily moved around from van into venue and back again anyway.

An L3t/m is a big beast. Could the bags for them be better? Yes, I guess they could. The wheels would be spaced further apart to improve balance and the end and base could be made more rigid. And, the wheel shrouds could be repositioned so as not to encroach into the main bag compartment, keeping the speaker itself off the housings. But that's all wishful thinking.

I'm with you also in recognising that just because a speaker is in a bag, it isn't sheilded from the jolts and knocks of dragging it across a rough surface or worse still up and down steps. I watched as my band mate walked down a pair of concrete steps (usual 9" ones) and carry on walking whilst the speaker, in its bag, crashed down the two steps in turn. That was when the first tab got broken. Once one is broken, the second will go pretty soon after, which it did. Needless to say, I now avoid allowing him to move the speakers around in their bags.

It would be nice to be able to replace just a wheel, but it's not the end of the world. Break one, replace the bag and learn from it that these things are not indestructible.

I hear what all you posters are saying. We have a pair of L3t's and bags. I read early on in these forum discussions about the "tenderness" of the wheels and how the bags can easily flip to one side or the other in motion .... so I invested in a small 4 wheel push cart and we wheel them in and out of the gig that way. We do dolly them on their own wheels for very short distances but we, (like most of you), are ultra careful. The main deal for us is that the speakers are protected against bumps, scrapes and skuffs etc, both in the van and en-route to/from the stage. After two years of regular gig use, the speakers themselves still look brand new. I treat the bags as covers not dollys . The wheel business is a bit of a flimsy design, but the bags are great as covers and protectors. I am 99% sure our wheels would have broken by now had we been dollying them in and out of gigs. They are grossly expensive so we are very careful. Some of the inside lining has ripped from not being careful enough putting them in the case as it is a snug fit. All in all though, I am glad I have them. The wheels for sure make it easy to slide then in/out of the van. If I had to do it again, I would seriously investigate some custom bags without wheels and just dolly them, thinking of course that it would likely be significantly cheaper than buying Line 6 bags?

I've just taken my in-expensive travel case wheels off and fitted them to my Line 6 bags, brilliant job, the plastic housings are at least 8mm thick and feel as strong as my Gator Keyboard case wheels, this will be a lasting job, because I am careful, I do take care of my equipment, all of which looks brand new even though I cover around 250 gigs per year as a professional keyboard player.

ca

I've just taken my in-expensive travel case wheels off and fitted them to my Line 6 bags, brilliant job, the plastic housings are at least 8mm thick and feel as strong as my Gator Keyboard case wheels, this will be a lasting job, because I am careful, I do take care of my equipment, all of which looks brand new even though I cover around 250 gigs per year as a professional keyboard player.

can you post some pics please?

I am on my 3rd set of these bags. The wheels break off at the plastic housing. This last set I put heavy duty hot glue around where the plastic housing attaches to the bag. Seems to have done the trick so far.

I would consider hot glue or epoxy to reinforce them when new.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I've now fitted to my speaker cases, proper metal housed, rubber wheels. These will outlast the cases and probably the speakers (and me)

Ideally the 0153N-BK would have been a better fit, which is identical to the original wheels, made with metal casings instead of thin cheap plastic. Unfortunately I was unable to source these, The retailer has to order a minimum of 500 units

http://www.penn-elco...=corner-casto

Product Number  0153N-BK

Maybe Line 6 could purchase a bulk load and supply to us end users??

Please see pics attached

post-1829670-0-11444900-1477059404_thumb.jpg

post-1829670-0-78035800-1477059438_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Old thread, but it may help to know that I had some success with Gorilla Glue on both the zipper and the wheels. I've had to redo the wheels but it held up longer than the original. For the zipper, I glued and clamped it a foot or 2 at a time. For the wheels, just glue it right into the pocket, up against the fabric as much as possible. I don't think I'd buy this bag again. 

• 4 weeks later...

In follow up and reviving this old thread yet again... I inadvertently let the same bandmate who broke one of my wheels loose with my bagged L3m's and guess what... He broke another one. This was early last year, so by that point one of the bags was 6 years old and the other 3 years.

Following gp4leigh's move, I spent about 2 hours and approx £50 and replaced all four wheels on my L3m bags with Penn Elcomm 0153N-BK, using stainless allen button head bolts and stainless nyloc nuts (8 per wheel) with large stainless flange washers on the inside of the bags. I mounted mine with the nuts inside the bag though Really simple to do, just a little bit fiddly.