Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Balance issue with XLR outs

Djwiens

So i've been mostly working at home to set up my presets for a church gig I have on a weekly basis. I've been using the 1/4 in. outputs to a small mixer and through some monitors and the levels of both the L/R seem to be relatively even. When I get to the church, i've been coming out of the xlr outputs straight to the board and the FOH guy is telling me that he's getting significantly more signal from the left than the right. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a parameter I can check on inside the Helix that might be out of whack? Is it more likely an issue with the venue's lines/mix channels? I'm not setting up any presets with major differences between right vs left except for delays & reverbs...Maybe one amp 25 Left and another 25 right... Thoughts?

I would check to see if phantom power is being sent to the right XLR output. That can cause a significant signal attenuation.

Do you happen to know if the phantom power issue that was reported prior to the 2.0 release was fixed or is it still potentially harmful to the Helix?

Do you happen to know if the phantom power issue that was reported prior to the 2.0 release was fixed or is it still potentially harmful to the Helix?

I don't know that Line 6 ever said it was ever potentially harmful. The official statement about it is here: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-xlr-outputs-and-48v-phantom-power-r771

When the Helix XLR outputs are subjected to phantom power, the output level is decreased. Do not try and connect your Helix to a mixer, interface, or PA system that supplies phantom power (48v) to the Helix XLR outputs. The workaround is to use the 1/4" outputs instead. If your setup requires XLR usage and phantom power cannot be avoided, we’ve seen some customers have success with a phantom power suppressor.

First, as previously mentioned, make sure phantom power is off for both channels, as that may cause all sorts of unpredictable behaviour with the Helix outputs.

Then, swap the channel cables and if the levels don't change, the problem is at the board.

Didn't have time to check other channels, but I've got the engineer looking into the phantom power thing. Playing at a satellite campus for the same church this weekend so I'll check to see if I have the same issues with their board. Thanks for the input!

So i've been mostly working at home to set up my presets for a church gig I have on a weekly basis. I've been using the 1/4 in. outputs to a small mixer and through some monitors and the levels of both the L/R seem to be relatively even. When I get to the church, i've been coming out of the xlr outputs straight to the board and the FOH guy is telling me that he's getting significantly more signal from the left than the right. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a parameter I can check on inside the Helix that might be out of whack? Is it more likely an issue with the venue's lines/mix channels? I'm not setting up any presets with major differences between right vs left except for delays & reverbs...Maybe one amp 25 Left and another 25 right... Thoughts?

Assuming it is not as others have mentioned a problem with either one of the cables, phantom power, or a bad input channel or perhaps an incorrect input trim setting on the board the first thing that leaps to mind is your routing within the Helix's presets. I would try plugging into a DAW/computer if you have one available and seeing for yourself if you really are outputting different levels from the right and left channels. If so, you could track back from there to see what the routing issue is (probably within the preset). If there is no level difference than you have at least eliminated the preset as a probable cause and the problem is probably somewhere between the Helix's XLR outputs and the board's inputs. That would include faulty outputs on the Helix or inputs on the board as possible culprits.

Note: Are you sending him "Mic" or line level output from the Helix?

Aside from the issue line 6 not building in protection from Phantom power, whether cost or other, get youself a $60 ART DTI (or just about any DI).

It not only isolates you from ground loops, it blocks phantom power. I personally like DTI box because it does not alter signal levels.

Update - Was at the second campus last night for practice and the engineer didn't notice any discrepancies between the left and right signals. Must be an issue with the board at the other location. Thanks for everyone's tips and suggestions!