Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are any artists ACTUALLY using the Helix?

elsvoboda

<You want Strymon, Eventide, Electro Harmonix FX - simple - buy them and stick them in the Helix loops like many other user on this forum have already done.

Not so simple if you're looking for the simplest least hassle setup for gigging, concerning setup and teardown. 

For practical purposes the less pedals and cables the better.   Simplicity.  Less clutter. Les to go wrong. Less to lug around. 

Point made ? 

< Why would Line 6 bother with third party involvement!> 

​clearly if it can be helped all the better.  But HELIX is premium high-end product and one with so much potential.  The main one clearly being convenience and simplicity - and versatility.  

​Put simply if it can be done in the HELIX without plugging in a box externally - all the better. 

Point made?

No - I don't think so! This is the real world.

Simplicity.  Less clutter, less to go wrong?

Jeez, there are already people on here complaining that the Helix does not have enough foot switches to cope with their tap dancing demands. Even "Snapshots" are insufficient for some!

Ye Gods, WTF were these guys using before?

If you were to bring all this extra stuff on board, then what happens when there is an issue with the Helix  DSP and it falls over, by not being able to handle the load?

You could still use your external units within another rig.

Flexibility - yes?

All your eggs in one basket come to mind?

Why should Line 6 provide clones of FX units that are sold for about 20 or 25% of the cost of the Helix and then pass them on to you - free, just because you bought the basic model.

It's the bottomless coffeepot again!

Connectivity is great, but so is third party content, like for hardware samplers and synths for instance. I'd love to see Eventide or Strymon add-ons for Helix, and IK or Scuffham ones from the VST side.

Seems really unlikely to happen though, because Helix is unique and proprietary hardware running a unique and proprietary OS. L6 would have to take the risk of opening up a lot of internal info that's currently a huge competitive advantage to third party devs, and those devs would have to invest in tools and learning to be able to port stuff to this platform.

There is some precedent, Kontakt for instance, but that at least runs on standard PC and Mac hardware, in the industry standard VST environment.

Zooey,

You already said it!

"Helix is unique and proprietary hardware running a unique and proprietary OS"

It seems that there is whole bunch of folks in these Helix forums would love to see Eventide and Strymon added, but as noted above why would Line 6 give you this stuff free - come on, get a grip on reality guys! Do you have any idea of what that would involve?

Hope that Santa has word with elves that work for Line 6 and your wishes all come true - you never know! Ask the Digital Igloo!

Oh, yeah!  Who really cares who else uses Helix?

We use it and that's all that matters!

Nuff said! I'm outta here. End of!

Id like to add a couple of Strymon pedals to my studio. That said, I doubt Strymon or L6/Helix is going to join a developers love-in any time soon. Their secret is in the sauce and Im betting it will stay that way.

Simplicity.  Less clutter, less to go wrong?

Jeez, there are already people on here complaining that the Helix does not have enough foot switches to cope with their tap dancing demands. Even "Snapshots" are insufficient for some!

Ye Gods, WTF were these guys using before?

If you were to bring all this extra stuff on board, then what happens when there is an issue with the Helix  DSP and it falls over, by not being able to handle the load?

You could still use your external units within another rig.

Flexibility - yes?

All your eggs in one basket come to mind?

Why should Line 6 provide clones of FX units that are sold for about 20 or 25% of the cost of the Helix and then pass them on to you - free, just because you bought the basic model.

It's the bottomless coffeepot again!

I am one of those Helix users who prefers not to have to hook anything other than the Helix and maybe an extra expression pedal up live. The less points of failure and extra sources of noise the better as far as I am concerned. Due to my constant quest to keep things simple and contained in one device I am always happy to see top-notch amps and effects make their way into the Helix. I fully recognize that is just my preference though. More power to those who require additional flexibility even if that means that, for some, their rig looks and plays like the deck of the Starship Enterprise with Matrix level connectivity to all their devices. The Helix was certainly geared to enable them.

I think I know what you were getting at but it seems there is a better way of describing the Helix than as the "basic model". It is L6's top-of-the-line MFX and is more like the 'premium model'. If you follow your point to its logical conclusion about not including for free, effects, or for that matter amps, that cost "20% to 25% of the cost of the Helix" why include more than 3 good amps and a couple of effects in the entire unit? That is already more "value" than the total cost for the Helix. I realize at some point L6 may or may not sell some amp or effect packs but as the guy who has to ultimately pay for them I am certainly not going to encourage or appreciate it yet at this still fairly early juncture. Call it entitlement or enlightened self-interest but I hope (not demand) they add more for free first, certainly HX level reverbs as they don't exist on the Helix. "Free" may not even be exactly accurate anyway as the price point of the Helix may have been calculated with a certain level of post-release development costs built into the pricing structure. I would be the first to admit though that they have already delivered an incredible device at this price point.

To me part of the beauty of a modern digital MFX unit is that you can include rooms full of great amps and effects that use to require a job on Wall Street or as plastic surgeon to the celebrities; not to speak of the subsequent need to spend a small fortune on maintenance, tubes, cables, and such. The same goes for the modern DAW. It used to cost a pile of dough spent on studio recording equipment for what can be done on a laptop with an inexpensive application now.

I agree with your point about not applying the "Peter Principle" to the Helix and "improving" it to the point of the DSP imploding but something tells me these guys still have features, amps, and effects to add that will not cause the palace walls to crumble.

• Upvote 1

Personally I do not care what anyone uses. The brainwash of traditional amps and real tubes will continue for some time. Modelers are the future, be on the cutting edge or copy someone down the road after they break away from the pack. The Kemper, Fractal and Helix units can easily be used live. If you are too stoned or drugged out to program anything and create tones then you have to use easier plug in and play gear. Also the notion that anyone famous or rich is smart and has a clue is greatly misplaced. 

• Upvote 2

Personally I do not care what anyone uses. The brainwash of traditional amps and real tubes will continue for some time. Modelers are the future, be on the cutting edge or copy someone down the road after they break away from the pack. The Kemper, Fractal and Helix units can easily be used live. If you are too stoned or drugged out to program anything and create tones then you have to use easier plug in and play gear. Also the notion that anyone famous or rich is smart and has a clue is greatly misplaced. 

Spot on haha. Nice one.

My initial response of who cares stands...

;)

This is not just directed at you. But all the posters that have the same thought. If that's true then why respond at all? You're posting because you DON'T care about something? Usually when people don't care about something they do nothing about it. Besides, I believe he made it clear that he was just curious. And even if he does care. Why do you care if he cares? Who are you to tell anyone what to care about? Who died and put you in charge of the ministry of what to care about? Why put him down for asking a question? A fairly lighthearted one at that. I was always taught the only stupid question is the one not asked. And it was more of an inquiry than a question. Lighten up folks. It IS just an inquiry. Not a choice or opinion. And if you really don't care prove it by not posting anything. I know!!! I'll start a thread about what we all don't care about!!! I'll start with amp modelers because real amps are better (that would be a joke by the way). I can't wait for the post about how they don't care about what anyone doesn't care about. Jeese. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Who cares that you don't care that I don't care??

I thought there was a bit of levity about what I was saying and it wasn't to be taken any more seriously than the OP's query.

I can see that you care that I/we don't care and as I care about that I can say that I care a bit more now than not caring at all but still quite strongly in the 'not caring' part of the "Venn of Caring".

---

I agree the OP doesn't deserve to be treated shabbily and I apologise if any upset was caused.

Id like to add a couple of Strymon pedals to my studio. That said, I doubt Strymon or L6/Helix is going to join a developers love-in any time soon. Their secret is in the sauce and Im betting it will stay that way.

Space sauce?

I thought there was a bit of levity about what I was saying and it wasn't to be taken any more seriously than the OP's query.

I can see that you care that I/we don't care and as I care about that I can say that I care a bit more now than not caring at all but still quite strongly in the 'not caring' part of the "Venn of Caring".

---

I agree the OP doesn't deserve to be treated shabbily and I apologise if any upset was caused.

Lmao...best thread ever. Welcome to "Carefest 2016".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled frenzy of righteous indignation. Hurrumph! 😤

• Upvote 1

---

Again it wasn't directed only at you. I know you was more funnin' than serious. But others weren't. And I never said I don't care that you don't care. Never. So how CAN anyone care that I don't care that you don't care since I cared enough to never say I didn't care about you not caring. :huh: :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Yeah just having some fun.

I would like to point out that you telling us how we should express our lack of caring is the same as anyone trying to say who should or shouldn't care?...wait for it...

Who died and put you in charge of the ministry of how people express how their level of caring?

OK this could spiral out of control. I blame Digital Igloo. Oh crap that's done it now...

Like Cerrucho, I play with a band that tours all over the US and we play overseas once a year; been with them for 12 years now. I've been using rented Mesa Triple Rectifier half-stacks and I fly with my Suhr Strat and a Line 6 M13. The Triple Recto isn't my favorite amp ever, it's just my choice amongst what is generally available from backline companies. It does have a beautiful clean sound but I don't like the way the midrange is voiced on the 2nd and 3rd channels; I use the M13's Tube Screamer in front of the amp to smooth out those mids. Anyway, I'm planning on replacing the current rig with Helix soon. I haven't had mine for that long and I just recently started feeling confident enough that the patches I've made are going to sound good in the FOH. I have used it with the wedding/corporate party band I play with, but the touring band plays on big stages, sometimes for crowds in the thousands, so it's going to be a different ballgame! I've mentioned my plans to use the Helix to the band's tour/production manager and the monitor mixer; they both think it's going to be too weird to not have an amp on the stage. But our FOH soundman said, "let's go for it!" And we will!

Anyway, I agree with those who think the reason we're not seeing the "big names" using Helix yet is simply because it hasn't been around for long. I suspect that within a year's time, it'll be a different story. I don't expect many of those guys will be using the Helix by itself, but it's bound to at least be a part of their rig. The Fractal and Kemper units didn't exactly burst on the scene suddenly; we gradually saw more and more guitar stars start using them. Helix is at least in the same league and it's more easy to program than either. Let's just wait and see what happens...

Probably so.  

But given L6's long experience with DSP and effects plus the weight of Yamaha behind it -  there really isn't any good reason why L6 cannot also come up with DSP algorithms and leader-in-field secret sauce of their own :)    They could for example work hard on top notch algorithms - then sell a unit similar to the H9 or Stymons - **and** use the same algorithms in their top-end products - namely the HELIX :)

It might mean hiring some pro-engineer who has long experience in reverbs etc - one who worked for the old leaders in the field for example - and then making their own killer product. Now if only Yamaha owned Harmon we could get some of the  Lexicon stuff ...

one can daydream :)   

Yeah just having some fun.

I would like to point out that you telling us how we should express our lack of caring is the same as anyone trying to say who should or shouldn't care?...wait for it...

Who died and put you in charge of the ministry of how people express how their level of caring?

OK this could spiral out of control. I blame Digital Igloo. Oh crap that's done it now...

I was not telling you HOW to do anything. You have been inaccurate in each of your posts in regard to me. That shows me a distinct lack of.....wait for it....caring. And I am not in charge of the ministry of how people express how their level of caring.  I'm in charge of the ministry of WHETHER people express ANY level of caring. Get your ministries straight. I feel like I'm spiraling. Damn that Digital Igloo.

Hadn't heard of these guys, not that interested in metal in general, but they're pretty cool. Got a foot in a bunch of universes...

Yeah, they won a Golden God award a few years back, met them a few times, nice blokes, Stevic Is a bit of a unsung pioneer for the HD500 and Helix in recordings and live.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are tons of touring pros that are using L6 products that you never hear of because they are just busy doing their thing and posting photos of their gear doesn't make the top of the todo list.

Like the guitarist from Shania Twain, Cory Churko, was all HD500 with Shania and Clarkson. I didn't know that until I stumbled upon some random behind the scenes video about Shania and he did a bit on his live setup. Then I stumbled upon other random videos as I went down the rabbit hole. Denny Hemingson of Tim McGraw uses a POD HD Pro.

Most of these guys are working guys that are road dogs that don't spend a lot of time other than the occasional Facebook/Instagram/Tweet to their followers talking about stuff that is happening in their lives and gear photos dont usually make the list if you follow these guys.

Oz Fox is using a Helix during their 30th Anniversary tour. You can see it in photos he posts on FB. Lincoln Brewster has posted photos of his Helix but I havent seen it show up in a live rig photo yet, he still rocks the HD500X.

So unless they are getting some sort of endorsement deal which has a requirement that they pimp their gear, you may never know what they are using unless you happen to go to a show. I know if I was on the road as much as these guys are there wouldn't be too many gear photos. 

• Upvote 2

I hear Hillary uses Fractal and Trump is still on his Zoom.... I have a Kemper and Helix. 

I win....

"Breaking News": Hilary's Fractal is on the fritz and 30,000 presets are missing after being hacked by the Russians and Trump was quoted saying his Zoom is "the greatest MFX ever, you won't believe how good this Zoom is, no one knows the Zoom better than me".  :D

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

"Breaking News": Hilary's Fractal is on the fritz and 30,000 presets are missing after being hacked by the Russians and Trump was quoted saying his Zoom is "the greatest MFX ever, you won't believe how good this Zoom is, no one knows the Zoom better than me".  :D

I just saw this- LOL! 

Great question. I think it's good to know who is using it to see if you think it'll fit stylistically and functionally. I don't see the question as a slight to the product, but as a way of saying "who do I know that's using it, and how can I use it like they might?"

We were looking at a lot of options for our electric guitars at the church I work at. We set up one amp in a sound enclosure with a Radial SGI Interface, but after looking up some of the amp modelers and profilers, we started looking at the Helix as an option. Brian Wahl from worshiptutorials.com did some great demos on YouTube and uses it along with another rig that has a standard amp and pedal setup. 

Then I started digging more, and I found out Lincoln Brewster uses one in his live setup. He always has amazing tone and I thought that was a good vote of confidence moving forward. The more digging I did I found some other artists from bands I love use the Helix. One of the guitarists from Thursday uses it, as does Minus the Bear and the newer Smashing Pumpkins guitarist (not Iha, but that's ok). 

If you're ever interested, equipboard.com is a great resource to find out who is playing with what gear. They have pretty much everything listed, and you can search by gear or artist. Hope this helps!

http://equipboard.com/items/line-6-helix-guitar-multi-effects-floor-processor

Yep Id says that's more than one or two...  ;)

To be fair - that list is of anyone using any line 6 product.  Few of them are using Helix.  A lot of them are using Line 6 relay wireless products or delay units.

One thing you have to remember, Helix came on the scene late.  A lot of artists were already entrenched in one of the other newer generation modellers with Helix came out.   I think what Helix has done is offered on par modelling at price points that guys like myself could afford.  Weekend warriors, cover band artists, etc.   With that said, there are artists taking the Helix out to big venues and playing live with it with great results.   A lot of them have already been mentioned and the list is growing.

Fact is, Helix is a viable piece of equipment in a live environment, whether it's used 4CM or by itself for modelling the whole signal chain to the front end.  It finally convinced me to ditch my tube amps, after using it about a year in front of a few different Mesa amps.   I have a streamlined setup that is easier then any modern setup I've used.  My bass player is probably the biggest skeptic I know - but  he says he doesn't know the difference between my Helix (with Stage Source L3T's) and my amp.   Simple as that.  It works, sounds good, and is easy.

I may have responded to this thread before... it's an old thread...  anyway..

Aren't we ALL artists?  I guess the OP meant "Professional Touring Musician" and if he did, that IS different than an artist endorsement.   When I see/hear pros actually using something I'm interested in, it adds a bit of comfort factor to my decision.  In fact, and I just realized this, of the musicians/artists I admire the most, they ARE using a Helix.  

Blue Oyster Cult and Garbage...  Both have a wide-variety of tone in their catalogs, and they have to sound like the album when they hit the stage.  Both bands have tone junkies both on stage and back stage that just would not tolerate any gear that didn't create the sound needed.  

Of the many other guitarists I admire, I can't imagine most them ever using a Helix.   Maybe a Kemper because they have a particular tone that they use and don't want to haul their delicate amps around anymore, but that's about it.  

To be fair - that list is of anyone using any line 6 product.  Few of them are using Helix. 

You might relook at that list and notice what each one mention's in text there. To be a bit fairer, more than a few of them mentioned just how good Helix was to them. That tells me that they are using (or have used) Helix either on stage, at home, and/or in the studio. Maybe all three. We can split hairs here over that point, but it was something worth mentioning don't you think?  A total of 26 (out of 58) did mention how awesome Helix is (yes, I counted). That's damn near half...

Not picking, but 26 is a "few" more than a "few" isn't it?... I mean Since we are being "fair" and all.   ;)