Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Happy With The Hd Update Except The Semi Model

Ater using the HD upgrades for a couple weeks now, I am generally very happy with the improvements in sound.  However, I do find that the Semi models lack the mid-range punch of a semi-hollow guitar like the 335.  I do not remember how the earlier firmware sounded like but I do not recall not liking the models before.  I feel that now the bridge pickup version of the Semi sounds better than the neck pickup.  FYI, I am using same amps before and after the HD upgrade.

Anyone has similar observation?

I know a lot of people who have this opinion, that the semi in the old Variax are great, I just can not understand how a model line 6 worsening rather than improving (I know this is subjective), I also agree that the semi in 2.0 is very thin and weak

• Upvote 1

Same here. I like 335's with really thick mids but the one they chose to model for HD has a lot more high end which would be more suitable for cutting through a hard rock mix than what I use a 335 for. The pre HD 335 was perfect for me plus I've been playing it since the first variaxes ere released. BTW- I feel the same way about the strat neck which is a very important sound for me.

Ater using the HD upgrades for a couple weeks now, I am generally very happy with the improvements in sound.  However, I do find that the Semi models lack the mid-range punch of a semi-hollow guitar like the 335.  I do not remember how the earlier firmware sounded like but I do not recall not liking the models before.  I feel that now the bridge pickup version of the Semi sounds better than the neck pickup.  FYI, I am using same amps before and after the HD upgrade.

Anyone has similar observation?

A lot of players like the scooped sound they chose for some HD models but not me. I don't mind it for a les paul metal situation but I don't ever use a 335 for that (or strat for that matter). 

I know a lot of people who have this opinion, that the semi in the old Variax are great, I just can not understand how a model line 6 worsening rather than improving (I know this is subjective), I also agree that the semi in 2.0 is very thin and weak

This is exactly how I feel.  I hope there will be an update that deal with the Semi and the Spank positions 2/4 soon.  For the time being, I am going to change the semi pickups to the Lester pickups later to see if I can get closer to that 335 sound.

Let us know if that helps. I suspect that the lester and semi pups are pretty similar though. Scooped paf's.

This is exactly how I feel.  I hope there will be an update that deal with the Semi and the Spank positions 2/4 soon.  For the time being, I am going to change the semi pickups to the Lester pickups later to see if I can get closer to that 335 sound.

I did the test in neck, switch  humbucking semi to the les paul improves much, but in the bridge, the 2 humbuckings (semi and les paul,) sound exactly identical, seems not to have any difference

Let us know if that helps. I suspect that the lester and semi pups are pretty similar though. Scooped paf's.