Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaker Outs on Spider V 240!

bluebluetones

I had a look on the internet, and it appears that the Spider V 240 does have 2 speaker outs.  See the picture of the rear of the amp here:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/74639/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Line-6/Spider-V-240-Watt-2x12---Guitar-Combo.htm# 

Well, I got to try a Spider V 60 yesterday.  I was happy to see the 30 and 60 model arrive in my local music store, and I am still waiting for when the larger models appear.  I am a bit hung-up on 12" speakers... :)

- My initial impression was very positive!  I had no need to consult the manual, everything was pretty straightforward.  I've had years of experience with POD Xt's and X3's so I know how to navigate.  It was great to dial in all the different effects and cabs now that they are all built into the amplifier!  That is what I was missing on my Spider IV - the ability to change cabs.  

- The amp sounded great, and I was having a lot of fun playing it.  It has all the speaker/mic combinations from running "Studio/Direct" on the PODs, so I assume it is a FRFR speaker system.  Perhaps like the one's in the Amplifi or Stagesource?  I am still waiting for specs on the speakers.

- The 60 model I played had the 10" speaker with closed back.  My only concern would be turning it up, as I thought it was beginning to flab-out on the bass when I played louder.  I will go back today to try this out one more time.  

(With all the connections on the rear of the amp, it will be hard to try to convert this amp to an open or semi-open back cabinet.  I prefer amps this way, so I will have to do some experimenting when I finally get one)

- I was very keen to try the Uni-vibe model, and I think it may have been improved from the XT, X3, and Spider IV models.  It sounded pretty good, and I will be trying that effect out again today in detail.  It made me wonder if the effects have been brought up to the M9 standard? 

- I am now hoping that the Spider V 240 is indeed a stereo amp, with the stereo 1/8" input into the back so that I can run my HD400 into it. 

- The amp looks pretty business-like, and the digital display has vivid and sharp graphics.  I'm not too crazy about the different coloring lettering that glows on the front of the amp - it makes the faceplate look a bit juvenile, whereas basic white lettering would have looked more classy.

Will write back with more impressions as I get them.  All in all, very favorable and a great update to the Spider series.  

I had no trouble dialing in various genres with this amp as opposed to all the other modeling amps out there...it seems each brand has its great points, but fail in one department or another.  (Especially the higher-gain amp models)  The Spider IV and V seem to be the most versatile with the least amount of negative aspects to them.  The newly added amp models and editing features are very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look on the internet, and it appears that the Spider V 240 does have 2 speaker outs.  See the picture of the rear of the amp here:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/74639/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Line-6/Spider-V-240-Watt-2x12---Guitar-Combo.htm# 

Hi, that picture appears to be an anomaly.

The Spider V 240 definitely does not have external speaker outputs.

Correct product photography can be found on Sweetwater's site here: 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spider5-240

I'm glad to hear you got to try out the Spider V 60 and had a good experience with it. Keep an eye out for the 120 and 240 that have the 12" speakers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MitchNorth

Those aren't speaker outs. They are XLR direct outputs to run straight to a mixing board for live gigs. A very handy feature that would be great to see across the line.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got the 240 V.The closd back makes the speakers sound muddy.The gain sounds flat or dull or something..I thought they could finally get a spider right but to me it sounds worse

Just got my 240. Tweak the additional EQ. It helps having that on. Another thing is look at those amp model volume levels. Many of them are way down. When you use a real amp like Plexi's JMP and others, the real sweetness comes with that amp volume up. Balance the rest out to match your presets. Some models will need a higher volume in the amp model than others. The amp itself has plenty of headroom.

I think the closed back is fine

• Upvote 1

Just got my 240. Tweak the additional EQ. It helps having that on. Another thing is look at those amp model volume levels. Many of them are way down. When you use a real amp like Plexi's JMP and others, the real sweetness comes with that amp volume up. Balance the rest out to match your presets. Some models will need a higher volume in the amp model than others. The amp itself has plenty of headroom.

I think the closed back is fine

Now that's experience talkin'.

Now that's experience talkin'.

What might help is a "preset level" addition to the firmware. Since the models themselves vary in volume based on cab selection, amp type, eq added, comp added, I can see where some may want to try to keep their final sound levels consistent, especially if used on a gig with the FBV. 

In some of my own presets, I have the comp on with low gain to take down some of the higher volume presets. You can still get the headroom in the amp model, but its a workaround for leveling. Same with using the extra EQ. Manage vol via the gain, just watch the other freq band controls because they are not like you think a typical PEQ would be (interaction is different). Use those sparingly, and you can both shape the sound, and help with consistency.

Master Preset Level per patch would be a great addition.

• 4 years later...
On 10/14/2016 at 1:52 PM, BFrenzel said:

Hi, that picture appears to be an anomaly.

The Spider V 240 definitely does not have external speaker outputs.

Correct product photography can be found on Sweetwater's site here: 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spider5-240

I'm glad to hear you got to try out the Spider V 60 and had a good experience with it. Keep an eye out for the 120 and 240 that have the 12" speakers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think people are getting confused. The Spider V 240 HDC (Head/combo) does indeed have 2 outputs and is stereo. That may have been the anomalous image.